Pyron

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pyron is soooo competitive and he is a play maker, that type will find a way to beat you, he just needs a little experience time/coaching. If we don't play him he will transfer, I would if I were him. i expect CBK to play players that earn playing time, I don't see him being any other type coach.

Agree, just don't burn RS. Agree? Sims should be ready to play soon.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Then again, I imagine the folks that don't want Sims back didn't want him back regardless of how Pyron does.
Those who don't want Sims are crazy, imho.

The QB position is all about two things...first and foremost is pocket "presence"..which covers a lot. Feel for when to move, for when to run, for when to keep looking downfield to throw, for when to throw the ball away, sheer patience (no panicking allowed) and when to slide. Second is pure talent. QB's like Jayden Daniels at LSU are Sims, with a bit more experience and coaching so that they have developed #1 to go along with #2. Bryce Young has a lot of both, but he is Sims with superb "presence". BUT, when LSU pressured him last night in the first half, he sure looked a lot like Jeff Sims to me...poor accuracy on short throws and a dumb decision in the red zone (sorry Jeff!). Once he settled down, he was great (agin).

I don't know if Jeff Sims can develop into either of those QB's, But he has the physical skill set to do so, if he can gain the "presence".

I guess I am thinking that Sims has a higher ceiling than Pyron, even if Pyron currently has some presence that Sims seems to lack. Bottom line...I love 'em both!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Those who don't want Sims are crazy, imho.

The QB position is all about two things...first and foremost is pocket "presence"..which covers a lot. Feel for when to move, for when to run, for when to keep looking downfield to throw, for when to throw the ball away, sheer patience (no panicking allowed) and when to slide. Second is pure talent. QB's like Jayden Daniels at LSU are Sims, with a bit more experience and coaching so that they have developed #1 to go along with #2. Bryce Young has a lot of both, but he is Sims with superb "presence". BUT, when LSU pressured him last night in the first half, he sure looked a lot like Jeff Sims to me...poor accuracy on short throws and a dumb decision in the red zone (sorry Jeff!). Once he settled down, he was great (agin).

I don't know if Jeff Sims can develop into either of those QB's, But he has the physical skill set to do so, if he can gain the "presence".

I guess I am thinking that Sims has a higher ceiling than Pyron, even if Pyron currently has some presence that Sims seems to lack. Bottom line...I love 'em both!
I don’t think presence is learned. You either have it or you don’t. It’s instinctual. Another similar trait is leadership. Pyron wants to carry the team on his back. He wants to win so bad, his physical safety is an afterthought. Sims… not so much. Sims is an athlete playing quarterback. Pyron is a quarterback who’s pretty darn athletic.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think presence is learned. You either have it or you don’t. It’s instinctual. Another similar trait is leadership. Pyron wants to carry the team on his back. He wants to win so bad, his physical safety is an afterthought. Sims… not so much. Sims is an athlete playing quarterback. Pyron is a quarterback who’s pretty darn athletic.
You may be right about presence to a degree. I do think (or maybe imagined) that pre-injury Sims was showing incremental improvement in his pocket awareness and decision-making, which had been a weakness.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You may be right about presence to a degree. I do think (or maybe imagined) that pre-injury Sims was showing incremental improvement in his pocket awareness and decision-making, which had been a weakness.
This is a good point. He wouldn’t be the first QB whose style changed after an injury.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For the last 1.5 games (since Pyron at qb with some what open offense), the gt offense has put up 750 yds .

Its great seeing the ball be thrown 20-30 yds - but not at the sideline.

We may actually have some good wide receivers.

If it any broke don't fix it. Let the good times roll!

JacketFan137

Banned
it’s pretty funny that people continue to push this sims isn’t a leader narrative for literally no reason other than them just flat out not liking the kid. we saw the same thing with yates

it’s very possible to praise pyron without making things up about sims lol

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
it’s pretty funny that people continue to push this sims isn’t a leader narrative for literally no reason other than them just flat out not liking the kid. we saw the same thing with yates

Sims has been a below average ACC QB except a couple of games per year. People are looking for reasons, no one is going to suggest Yates or Pyron has a stronger arm, or they are faster or more athletic.

stigs02jrt

Banned

not liking the kid? Stop. There's nothing to dislike about Sims or Yates sheesh. Folks can objectively look at two players and see a difference in "leading by example", effort, fearlessness, passion, etc. just like they can see a difference in speed, decision making, arm strength, etc. Nobody is "making things up", folks call it like they see it. Most see it the same way I bet.

JacketFan137

Banned
not liking the kid? Stop. There's nothing to dislike about Sims or Yates sheesh. Folks can objectively look at two players and see a difference in "leading by example", effort, fearlessness, passion, etc. just like they can see a difference in speed, decision making, arm strength, etc. Nobody is "making things up", folks call it like they see it. Most see it the same way I bet.
sims is a quiet kid. that doesn’t mean he isn’t a leader. he’s been voted captain multiple times. there is nothing to indicate that he isn’t a leader.

stigs02jrt

Banned
Yeah, we don't need to be burning his redshirt trying to beat Ugag this year. He can beat them the next four years.

Now if Pyron loses to Miami, play Sims or even Gibson for UNC, then Pyron for UGA.

If Pyron beats Miami and then beats UNC, you gotta reward him with the UGA game AND the bowl game. Benching Pyron for UGA and the bowl game just to save a RS, Key would lose all credibility in the locker room, probably piss off Pyron too. Are we trying to win, or are we putting one guy's redshirt above team goals?

BTW, Pyron could redshirt another year in the future, you never know how things happen in CFB.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Now if Pyron loses to Miami, play Sims or even Gibson for UNC, then Pyron for UGA.

If Pyron beats Miami and then beats UNC, you gotta reward him with the UGA game AND the bowl game. Benching Pyron for UGA and the bowl game just to save a RS, Key would lose all credibility in the locker room, probably piss off Pyron too. Are we trying to win, or are we putting one guy's redshirt above team goals?

BTW, Pyron could redshirt another year in the future, you never know how things happen in CFB.

RS is very important to both us and Pyron (or should be). He can play an extra year if he keeps it. Nice option for him to have; where ever he plays.

But ........ if Pyron plays and we beat Miami and UNC, then he would lose it in the bowl game. I hadn't thought of that since I don't see us beating UNC with their offense. That is likely to be a high scoring game. But would be a GREAT problem to have.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow

If AD and Key are on same page you put it in Pyron hands at that point... If he continues to play at a high level and get us bowl eligible then you allow him to make the call on his redshirt status as respect and I think AD and Key have to show him they are both together to support whatever he wants to do