Putting Godhigh into Perspective

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I took a tremendous amount of grief last year suggesting that, from top to bottom, weighing all positions equally, GT was more talented today (after 2012 season) than in 2008 and 2009. I used essentially a grading spreadsheet, ranking each starting player from both eras on a scale from 1 to 5. 1 being defined as a poor player who should not be starting at this level and 5 being essentially a Calvin Johnson type player at his position. One of the guys I caught the most crap for, who was used as the sole reason, by many, to discredit my entire analysis was Robbie Godhigh. See, I ranked him (3.5) ahead of Roddy Jones (3.0) and that set off a fire storm of rude comments etc etc. In fact, my spreadsheet was copied over to another board by DCS and they all went nuts too! As far as they were concerned I deserved to be put in a straight jacket.

My feeling, at the time, was that RG and RJ both had established themselves as consistent and reliable blockers, but RG had a slight edge running (being able to make people miss), and a fairly significant edge in receiving, both route running and hanging on to the football. Now that RG has played his last season, with a bowl game to go, I would like to put his 2013 season into perspective by comparing his 12 games of 2013 to the best AB of every completed 13 game season in the CPJ era.

Robbie Godhigh 2013 - Rush 694, Rec 420
Orwin Smith 2012 - Rush 682, Rec 288
Orwin Smith 2011 - Rush 615, Rec 306
Orwin Smith 2010 - Rush 516, Rec 195
Anthony Allen 2009 - Rush 618, Rec 112 (Roddy Rush 345, Rec 0)
Roddy Jones 2008 - Rush 690, Rec 155

So for all of you out there who were in on the bashing party, I told you so (sarcasm...........kind of). Truthfully, my reason for posting this is not to toot my own horn but, rather, to pay tribute to an amazing season by RG. May we all appreciate all he has done well into the future. I hope he GOES OFF in the bowl game and puts even more separation between himself and the others. Way to go Robbie!

Last edited:

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
One of my favorite A-backs of Johnson's tenure. I think we are at a place where we will simply re-load at the A-back position every year. I look forward to who will step up next season.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100% on your assessment, and if RG had not been roughed up by Ogletree and fumbled on the 1 yard line in the ga 2012 game. that ga game would have at least been a LOT closer. We might have even won. Then everyone might agree with you!

ramblinwreck

Georgia Tech Fan
While I agree that RG is/was a better runner, I think it should be acknowledged that RG also benefited from having had a better passing QB to have played with in VL. And a slight difference in passing philosophy with Vad as an eligible QB.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
While I agree that RG is/was a better runner, I think it should be acknowledged that RG also benefited from having had a better passing QB to have played with in VL. And a slight difference in passing philosophy with Vad as an eligible QB.

Robbie is also the best blocker on that list, so putting up the best numbers while contributing when the ball isn't in his hands (Perhaps Roddy was his equal, they are both great).

About re-loading -- I look for Days to be an impact A-back next year, Perkins needs more touches and I keep thinking Andrews will develop.

/

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I like RG a lot, and I think we will
miss his play making ability. My only conplaint with RG (and this is being picky) was that he often took weird blocking angles at defenders when he was trying to block straight up. He sometimes seemed that he wanted to prove that he could block without cutting the defender, and was pushed back into the running lane. I am glad he was on our team and not the competition's.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I took a tremendous amount of grief last year suggesting that, from top to bottom, weighing all positions equally, GT was more talented today (after 2012 season) than in 2008 and 2009. I used essentially a grading spreadsheet, ranking each starting player from both eras on a scale from 1 to 5. 1 being defined as a poor player who should not be starting at this level and 5 being essentially a Calvin Johnson type player at his position. One of the guys I caught the most crap for, who was used as the sole reason, by many, to discredit my entire analysis was Robbie Godhigh. See, I ranked him (3.5) ahead of Roddy Jones (3.0) and that set off a fire storm of rude comments etc etc. In fact, my spreadsheet was copied over to another board by DCS and they all went nuts too! As far as they were concerned I deserved to be put in a straight jacket.

My feeling, at the time, was that RG and RJ both had established themselves as consistent and reliable blockers, but RG had a slight edge running (being able to make people miss), and a fairly significant edge in receiving, both route running and hanging on to the football. Now that RG has played his last season, with a bowl game to go, I would like to put his 2013 season into perspective by comparing his 12 games of 2013 to the best AB of every completed 13 game season in the CPJ era.

Robbie Godhigh 2013 - Rush 694, Rec 420
Orwin Smith 2012 - Rush 682, Rec 288
Orwin Smith 2011 - Rush 615, Rec 306
Orwin Smith 2010 - Rush 516, Rec 195
Anthony Allen 2009 - Rush 618, Rec 112 (Roddy Rush 345, Rec 0)
Roddy Jones 2008 - Rush 690, Rec 155

So for all of you out there who were in on the bashing party, I told you so (sarcasm...........kind of). Truthfully, my reason for posting this is not to toot my own horn but, rather, to pay tribute to an amazing season by RG. May we all appreciate all he has done well into the future. I hope he GOES OFF in the bowl game and puts even more separation between himself and the others. Way to go Robbie!

Toot....Toot... :)

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
He's done well here. We can only hhope that sonone steps up next year. The guy I wwould say to watch out for is Charles Perkins. In limited touches he has looked explosive this year. He's got plenty of tlent. He's just gotta put it all together.