Publics perception of the program

GTfansincebirth

Georgia Tech Fan
I feel like the perception is different about Tech! Winning 11 games and going 4-0 against the big 4 and also winning a major bowl game against a top 10 team! All of that will change the preception of any program. I feel like Tech has to do even more than the typical program simply due to where tech is located and other factors. Do yall think that 2014 will help us in the SE region in recruiting and coverage. I have noticed even in local ATL media that they are finally giving us credit without much backhanded remarks. Look at Carvell the past week with his coverage of tech. Look at Bark Madley and his articles after the Orange Bowl win. We need to keep going in this direction and we'll see more of this. No more 7 win seasons we need 9+ maybe 8 wins in a rebuilding year.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with you thoughts on perception and our momentum... all good and welcome!

We reached "critical mass" this year and have the opportunity to ascend to a "new norm" of performance... very exciting.

We fans play a pretty significant part in seizing the opportunity... hopefully we will have a larger season ticket base for next year, and maybe even have some of us pony up for a few extra season tickets.. Fun times!!!!

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I think next year will be tougher because of the schedule and young RB's. We may only win 8 next year but I think 2016 could be a great.

i think we may win more than just 8, but i see your point. i'm looking for our defense and our oline to continue to improve and we'll be a tough out for anyone. if justin thomas can find the same pass and catch relationship with receivers next year then we'll be in good shape.

all in all, we may not win as many next year but i expect to see a better team...or at least hope to.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@CHE90: Well put! Also, we had a QB transfer; lost several D-Linemen who had never stepped onto the field in a game; and lost a receiver along with his brother who was just recruited and rated the best of the class. Even after losing all of that:

Apparently football is still a TEAM Game!

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
@CHE90: Well put! Also, we had a QB transfer; lost several D-Linemen who had never stepped onto the field in a game; and lost a receiver along with his brother who was just recruited and rated the best of the class. Even after losing all of that:

Apparently football is still a TEAM Game!
Exactly, this is a team game! In my business I will take a team player every time.

thwgjacket

This season was supposed to be tougher because of a young, unproven, smallish QB and a decimated D-line. That didn't pan out.
Yea but I'm thinking we could have a better team next year and not win as many games. We had a tough schedule at the end of this year, probably the toughest last 4 games of anybody in the country. But next year we play better teams more often than we did this year. If we win 10 next year I think it would be better than winning 11 this year because of how consistently tough the schedule is next year. We go to ND, Clemson, Miami. That's two tough road games and a place that has been a house of horrors for us. That doesn't even include UGA, FSU and a VT team returning almost everyone on a good D at home. That's 6 tough games and our "easy" games will be tougher next year too. I hope we win them all but just trying to say that we could be better and not win as many games.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
IMHO this is the perception out there:
-Ohio St won the NC - the Big Ten is back
FSU won - the ACC consists of one team
We win the NC it is a fluke
We need 3 teams in the top ten, especially us for the next ten years to change perception.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
We got a lot of great press towards the end of last season, and the best thing our team could do now is to maintain their momentum and build on success from last season by having another big season. Unfortunately, if they don't we know what will happen is that the first thing will happen is that all of the vultures will immediately come out and claim last season was an abboration and the whole "process" will start all over again.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Public perception influences polling. We will start next year in the top 20. If we win big to start the season like 2011, we'll move up.

We won't get Auburn love if we slip up a couple times, but we could get msu love for 1 loss.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just want every kid to get a little bigger or stronger in the next two months and have a really good spring camp after that. Worrying about next year's schedule just doesn't resonate with me. We just went 3-1 against a top 15 schedule to finish the 2014 season. Why are we worrying about who we play next season? Just get a little better over the off season and by the time we kick off in the fall.........

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I just want every kid to get a little bigger or stronger in the next two months and have a really good spring camp after that. Worrying about next year's schedule just doesn't resonate with me. We just went 3-1 against a top 15 schedule to finish the 2014 season. Why are we worrying about who we play next season? Just get a little better over the off season and by the time we kick off in the fall.........
I think it's about time we, as fans, stop acting as though we don't belong on the same field with some of these teams. This year's team has gotten past that and it should carry over to next year. Don't worry about the schedule - just line up against 'em and play!

A win at South Bend on 9/12 will define the season. Beating ND AT South Bend carries a helluva lot of weight nationwide, and that game will obviously be nationally televised, so that the whole country can see what we are. ND may have a better team on paper, but so did several teams we beat this past year, and I don't think, based on the way they play Navy, that they will be able to stop Justin.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
A win at South Bend on 9/12 will define the season. Beating ND AT South Bend carries a helluva lot of weight nationwide, and that game will obviously be nationally televised, so that the whole country can see what we are. ND may have a better team on paper, but so did several teams we beat this past year, and I don't think, based on the way they play Navy, that they will be able to stop Justin.
Notre Dame is perpetually over-rated. You are correct, however, that beating them will carry a lot of weight with the public, pollsters, and committee.