PT for Lucas Johnson

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
Lol Vad had bought in until he got hit hard on a run. Against, UNC? I can't remember who. But someone stuck him and he visibly shied away from contact the rest of the game. It knocked the TO right out of him.
I remember that play. He came off the field immediately. I wondered then how much contact he would accept.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol Vad had bought in until he got hit hard on a run. Against, UNC? I can't remember who. But someone stuck him and he visibly shied away from contact the rest of the game. It knocked the TO right out of him.
I think you meant he visibly shied away from contact the rest of the season. I remember that moment as the turning point for Vad as well. It infuriated me the rest of the season how we would have to punt because he would fall down without contact just short of a first down or would run out of bounds just short of a first down. I couldn't believe they left Justin Thomas on the bench.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that LJ would be best with more throws mixed in, and he could do a lot for us if we gameplanned around him. I liked Vad too -- though I enjoy poking the toad on here by comparing everyone's favorite to everyone's least favorite -- and I agree that he would have been tough to stop if he'd bought in. I also buy the conventional wisdom that he got shook by that hit and we never really the same afterwards.

It wasn't just one hit. Vad got the hell beat out of him all year because our line was terrible. What drove Lee off was being told after the Duke game that it wasn't the right way to win, and then getting his bell rung time and time again.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
It wasn't just one hit. Vad got the hell beat out of him all year because our line was terrible. What drove Lee off was being told after the Duke game that it wasn't the right way to win, and then getting his bell rung time and time again.
I wasn't aware that he was talked down to like that.

To be fair, Justin got hammered in '15 and Quon got hit real hard by Clemson, UGA, VT and a few others. I think the beatings that our QB and BB take are a big negative recruiting tool.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I know he got hit like that in uM game,but maybe unc also.Maybe the coaches told him to not take hits --like JT later.

I think you meant he visibly shied away from contact the rest of the season. I remember that moment as the turning point for Vad as well. It infuriated me the rest of the season how we would have to punt because he would fall down without contact just short of a first down or would run out of bounds just short of a first down. I couldn't believe they left Justin Thomas on the bench.
The worst I saw him do after that UNC game was at Clemson, when he deliberately slid when he saw a Clemson defender barrelling down on him......still 10 yards away.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Unless TM gets hurt you will only see another QB if we have a big lead. PJ had the perfect opportunity last year against Duke early in the 4th quarter and did not put LJ in. He just seems to stick with his starter til the end. There were times when Lee probably should have been put in when TW struggled. If we have another season like last year and go into 2019 with an inexperience QB, then 2019 may be PJ's Swan song. I hope that is not the case.

yep. it seems I remem ber when TW was going out, PJ wouldn't give PT to anyone.A MISTAKE then and a mistake now.--this Offense is the ONE that needs exp to run it right--unlike TM who wouldn't/didn't pitch.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Um, no. Saying I’m “not sure” is exactly the opposite of judging. I also referenced the 2018 Spring game (not just one play) and I also said that I was hopeful that big things were going on behind the scenes. In other words, I hoped that things were going well for him in practice. So...no, I didn’t judge. I expressed concern based off what I’ve seen and also conceded that there is much that I haven’t seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You incorrectly stated that LJ had a few touches that ended poorly last year. You utilized that incorrect memory and the 2018 Spring Game to judge his potential as the future of the program. You went from thinking LJ was the "future" to "not so sure" based on your judgement of his play, none of which has taken place in an actual game setting. You judged, it's OK, let's move on.

If it makes you feel better, I'll amend my original statement to, "I would advocate that we refrain from unnecessary concern until we see him play in an actual game."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about Lucas. We'll see soon enough.

One thing, however. Coach will play #2 QBs he trusts and who can run the O. Remember Tim Byerly? Tim played a lot, especially inside the 10. Indeed, I think we would have done just as well with Tim starting in 2014 as with JT. He knew how to win, pure and simple. I think that's what Coach is looking for in a #2 who plays a lot: not much drop off and he knows how to run the O effectively. Frankly, we haven't had a prospective #2 like that for some time now. I hope we develop one, but I think any #2 has to earn the field.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You incorrectly stated that LJ had a few touches that ended poorly last year. You utilized that incorrect memory and the 2018 Spring Game to judge his potential as the future of the program. You went from thinking LJ was the "future" to "not so sure" based on your judgement of his play, none of which has taken place in an actual game setting. You judged, it's OK, let's move on.

If it makes you feel better, I'll amend my original statement to, "I would advocate that we refrain from unnecessary concern until we see him play in an actual game."

I know what I meant and explained it. Sorry you don’t comprehend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
You guys are bringing up some bad memories. I'm probably in the minority on this, but I give the edge to Oliver. I really want to see what Graham can do. We've got some players that need to be on the field. If Johnson doesn't get a good shot at QB, I wonder if Coach Woody might whisper in his ear about moving over to defense. At 6'3" 210 lbs., he might get more PT as a defensive back or my favorite, linebacker.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I would rather not talk bad about any past or present QB for Tech . The question was simple " how much playing time will LJ get this year " . Although no one really knows the answer. I sorry I just don't sée the need to say anything bad about a student-athlete at Tech . ( I don't recall one person when they signed to play for Tech not happy they chose to play here ) not all players will work out.

I not saying anyone has I just know how things go after awhile.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our quarterback's, unlike most, earn the back part of the title. Every qb we've ever had under CPJ has taken his licks. You have to be one tough SOB to play qb in this offense because you get hit a lot. The upside is you usually see where the hit is coming from. Not everybody's cut out for it.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer

It was UNC. He got helicoptored and was never the same in our offense again. He sort of got his mojo back against UGA in the first half,then his wheels had fallen completely off by the bowl game against Ole Miss.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
yep. it seems I remem ber when TW was going out, PJ wouldn't give PT to anyone.A MISTAKE then and a mistake now.--this Offense is the ONE that needs exp to run it right--unlike TM who wouldn't/didn't pitch.

If I recall correctly in 2012 for about half the season TW and VL rotated. TW started and VL played by the third series in each half. Not very like your description of only playing one QB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The two hardest hits off the option I've seen a QB take in CPJ's offense (at GT) were both against UNC. One was the play people have mentioned with Vad, the other was with Nesbitt. Vad's hit look like he didn't even see the guy coming.

I don't know why people are so down on Vad's time here. Yeah, things didn't work out the way we thought in 2013, but when he was backing up Tevin in 2012, the guy looked like the second coming. It's not like he was horrible in 2013 either. One of his better games was at UGA...man, I thought we were gonna run away from them that night before halftime.

The two hardest hits off the option I've seen a QB take in CPJ's offense (at GT) were both against UNC. One was the play people have mentioned with Vad, the other was with Nesbitt. Vad's hit look like he didn't even see the guy coming.

I don't know why people are so down on Vad's time here. Yeah, things didn't work out the way we thought in 2013, but when he was backing up Tevin in 2012, the guy looked like the second coming. It's not like he was horrible in 2013 either. One of his better games was at UGA...man, I thought we were gonna run away from them that night before halftime.
That 2013 mutt game was perhaps the most frustrating loss I have ever witnessed. I don't know what happened at halftime. Did CPJ call off the dogs? Did the entire team relax, thinking they had it won? Did the mutts really improve that much at halftime? I definitely don't blame it on Vad; he had an awesome game, and he was burning the mutts. That was just another one of several games when we have shown that, for whatever reason, we can't maintain a lead. It's like we just don't have a killer instinct. I don't want us to run up the score like some teams do, but I don't want them ever to relax either until there is only a minute left in the game.