PT for Lucas Johnson

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
In how many quarters do you think Lucas Johnson will see action this season? By many accounts, Tech will be in a dogfight in most of its games this season and no one wants 2019 to look like 2017 with an inexperienced QB.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
In how many quarters do you think Lucas Johnson will see action this season? By many accounts, Tech will be in a dogfight in most of its games this season and no one wants 2019 to look like 2017 with an inexperienced QB.

I was very high on Lucas after the 2017 Spring game. The guy is built like a QB, tall and athletic. He has good speed and agility. I thought TaQuon would beat him out for the starting position last year but I thought Lucas would be our future. Now, I’m not so sure. I may be getting confused but it seems like the very few touches he got last year ended poorly and he didn’t look good in the 2018 Spring game. Hopefully there are big things going on behind the scenes.

I hope he sees at least a full quarter against Alcorn State. If he does well, I wouldn’t be opposed to some type of dual QB system to make sure he gets plenty of reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Unless TM gets hurt you will only see another QB if we have a big lead. PJ had the perfect opportunity last year against Duke early in the 4th quarter and did not put LJ in. He just seems to stick with his starter til the end. There were times when Lee probably should have been put in when TW struggled. If we have another season like last year and go into 2019 with an inexperience QB, then 2019 may be PJ's Swan song. I hope that is not the case.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to rehash last year's QB thread, but he was playing against 2s in the 2017 Spring game. I hope I am wrong, since he has good top end speed, throws a soft ball and looks like our #2 going into camp, but he kinds looks like a more accurate less imposing Vad Lee. And it doesn't seem like CPJ wants to rework the offense too much. It's one thing to run more midline/counter/trap with Quon, but adding 3/5 step stuff hasn't gone well.

It also seems like he was comfortable as a backup, where Jay Jones was clearly not.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Not to rehash last year's QB thread, but he was playing against 2s in the 2017 Spring game. I hope I am wrong, since he has good top end speed, throws a soft ball and looks like our #2 going into camp, but he kinds looks like a more accurate less imposing Vad Lee. And it doesn't seem like CPJ wants to rework the offense too much. It's one thing to run more midline/counter/trap with Quon, but adding 3/5 step stuff hasn't gone well.

It also seems like he was comfortable as a backup, where Jay Jones was clearly not.

Thanks for the reminder about LJ playing against the 2s in the 2017 Spring game. I did not remember that.

Deleted member 2897

Well lets not forget Tobias Oliver is 1 year older now and James Graham is now on campus. Lucas should be the default starter for 2019 based on tenure, but honestly its too early to tell. Remember he got beat not just by TaQuon Marshall last year but by Matthew Jordan too.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I was very high on Lucas after the 2017 Spring game. The guy is built like a QB, tall and athletic. He has good speed and agility. I thought TaQuon would beat him out for the starting position last year but I thought Lucas would be our future. Now, I’m not so sure. I may be getting confused but it seems like the very few touches he got last year ended poorly and he didn’t look good in the 2018 Spring game. Hopefully there are big things going on behind the scenes.

I hope he sees at least a full quarter against Alcorn State. If he does well, I wouldn’t be opposed to some type of dual QB system to make sure he gets plenty of reps.

LJ played one snap last year. Hopefully we will get to see him in at least the Alcorn State and Bowling Green games. I would advocate that we hold judgement until he plays.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It largely depends on how well our D does.

I suspect that LJ will be playing by the second drive of the second half vs. Alcorn State and by the 4th qtr versus Bowling Green.

USF has had a good team, 10-2 and 11-2 over the last two seasons, in primarily Group of 5 play. If we can get LJ some decent playing time because of our lead against them, I'll be happy.

CPJ almost never plays the backup. We were getting steamrolled by the mutts in the 2nd half of 2017 and, rather than put LJ in for mop-up (or run some different plays), CPJ just kept running QB Keepers with TQ that continued to not work. It was obvious to anyone that we'd thrown in the towel and it was embarrassing.

LJ won't see the field much this year barring injury.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't pull for or against any Tech player over another. I don't attend any practices, or go over to CPJ house to drink beer and shoot the crap to find out what is going on at practice ( would like to but him may not drink Bud Light). But one thing I do believe to be true is CPJ will be honest with any player who ask how he stands. Lucas came from California and will be a RS So this year I would think that he has asked CPJ what he needs to do. Him still being here to me is a good sign. As for playing I would hope we have 3 QBs that get playing time, but not because of injuries but to build depth if we need it .

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
CPJ almost never plays the backup. We were getting steamrolled by the mutts in the 2nd half of 2017 and, rather than put LJ in for mop-up (or run some different plays), CPJ just kept running QB Keepers with TQ that continued to not work. It was obvious to anyone that we'd thrown in the towel and it was embarrassing.

LJ won't see the field much this year barring injury.

Using Kansas in 2011 as an opposite example, he left TW in until we had an almost 40 point lead, if memory serves.

Players can practice all they want, but there is nothing (especially for a QB) like game experience.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Did I judge?

You stated you're "...not so sure..." he's our future and that his limited touches ended poorly. That suggests you judged his ability to be our future at QB based on one play from scrimmage in the 2017 season and the 2018 Spring Game. I simply stated that we should wait to judge his performance when he actually plays in a game.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You stated you're "...not so sure..." he's our future and that his limited touches ended poorly. That suggests you judged his ability to be our future at QB based on one play from scrimmage in the 2017 season.

Um, no. Saying I’m “not sure” is exactly the opposite of judging. I also referenced the 2018 Spring game (not just one play) and I also said that I was hopeful that big things were going on behind the scenes. In other words, I hoped that things were going well for him in practice. So...no, I didn’t judge. I expressed concern based off what I’ve seen and also conceded that there is much that I haven’t seen.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I judged, to be honest.

I think CPJ prefers not to tweak the offense, especially not for a #2. It seems to me that LJ would be best with more throws mixed in, and he could do a lot for us if we gameplanned around him. I liked Vad too -- though I enjoy poking the toad on here by comparing everyone's favorite to everyone's least favorite -- and I agree that he would have been tough to stop if he'd bought in. I also buy the conventional wisdom that he got shook by that hit and we never really the same afterwards. The problem is that this offense will inevitably get the QB hit like that; it's not for everyone.

....FWIW, I was a Jay Jones guy and am bullish on Graham.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
We shall see. I don't think being Vad Lee is necessarily a bad thing. I think if Vad has been bought into running the offense, he'd have been just dandy.

LJ is bought in to running the offense.

Lol Vad had bought in until he got hit hard on a run. Against, UNC? I can't remember who. But someone stuck him and he visibly shied away from contact the rest of the game. It knocked the TO right out of him.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

He was playing behind the 2nd team OL.