Projected Starting Lineup

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
You would think a guy like Caralla would know how to get him into optimal weight/speed balance...

His dad was a CB or S, right? He has the genes for speed but he has seemed a tad bulky IMO

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
My problem with #6 is seeing time after time where he had the gap responsibility and doesn't get it done. Some times it is due to getting totally blocked so hole is wide open but others it's him taking a terrible angle and missing or making the hole just huge and an easy block for the lineman. He can make some nice plays occasionally and knife through but too many times when he tries that he simply overruns the play.
This is spot on. Bad gap assignments and poor angles to the ball. To be fair - the entire team could use improvement here. LY (compared to other years) - We were significantly better at generating push upfront on run plays. But the safeties and LBs did a horrible job at filling and protecting gaps. Too many plays that start out well ended with big runs because a backside LB or safety wouldn’t maintain gap fits.

As far as Curry in the passing game - oh boy. I think it’s a combination of process / reaction speed and physical speed. If he was more aware, he could do enough to defend shallow crossing routes that often result in bigger gains than they should be.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
This is spot on. Bad gap assignments and poor angles to the ball. To be fair - the entire team could use improvement here. LY (compared to other years) - We were significantly better at generating push upfront on run plays. But the safeties and LBs did a horrible job at filling and protecting gaps. Too many plays that start out well ended with big runs because a backside LB or safety wouldn’t maintain gap fits.

As far as Curry in the passing game - oh boy. I think it’s a combination of process / reaction speed and physical speed. If he was more aware, he could do enough to defend shallow crossing routes that often result in bigger gains than they should be.
I thought they were using him as a spy on passing plays most of the time.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Here is my Take:

OFFENSE
QB:
1A- Graham (For Clemson ...see 2019 and how they started Tobias Oliver)
1B- Sims/Gleason
Graham starts vs Clemson, however Sims or Gleason will be starting at the end of the year and during the Bowl Game!

RB:
1A- Jordan Mason
1B- Griffin/Gibbs
Mason will be a lock to start at RB. 2 four stars behind him ready to go!

WR:
1A-Jalen Camp
1B- Ezzard/Carter/Sanders
The WR group should also take a step forward this year with Camp returning from injury and transfer Ezzard ready to play.

Slot:
1A-Ahmarean Brown
1B- Smith/McCollum
Brown was one of the most exciting players to watch last year and should only improve with better OL and QB play. Behind him D. Smith and incoming freshman N. McCollum.

TE:
1A-Dylan Deveney
1B- Dylan Leonard
This group will be young and relatively inexperienced with only Deveney and Leonard providing game time experience.

LT:
Devin Chochran
LG:
Jack Defoor
C:
Kenny Cooper
RG:
Ryan Johnson
RT:
Zach Quinney

DEFENSE
SDE:
1A- Antonneous Clayton
1B- S. Yondjouen
The former 5 Star recruit who will be an impact player on defense.

DT:
1A-Jahaziel Lee
1-Chimedza & Martin
The coaches have raved about Jahaziel since the new staff arrived on campus.

DT:
1A-Antwan Owens
1B-Quon Griffin

WDE
1A-Jordan Domineck
1B- Chico Bennett

MLB:
1A-David Curry
1B- Jackson
Curry will be the leader of the defense.

WLB:
1A-Demetrius Knight
1B- Jackson
This will be a tossup between Knight and Jackson

CB:
Tre Swilling
Swilling is a lock at starting here and will be an All ACC level CB this year.

CB:
Tobias Oliver
I am calling it now. Tobias Olivier will be the biggest surprise on the team this year. He was already playing with the 1s this spring after just two weeks of learning his new position. His athleticism and competitiveness make it impossible to keep him off the field. He will have tough competition with guys like Walton, Brooks, and Askew but I think he will win the job. I am also going to make the hot take that Oliver will find his way on an All ACC team this year. He was a turnover machine this spring and between him, Swilling, Walton, and Brooks we will have one of the best secondaries in the ACC this year.

NB:
1A-Charlie Thomas
1B- Kaleb Oliver
Thomas made the move from LB to NB this offseason and it fits him perfectly.

FS:
1A-Tariq Carpenter
1B- Derrick Allen

Carpenter is another lock at starting this year. He was one of our best defensive playmakers and should be an NFL prospect/All ACC player after this season. Behind him I expect Derrick Allen to get some playing time.

SS
1A-Juanyeh Thomas
1B- Derrick Allen
Along with Carpenter, Thomas is one of our top defensive players and will round out the starters for one of the top ACC secondaries next year. He also has NFL potential and will be an All ACC caliber player.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Since workouts are about to start back up, I figured it would be a good time to put together an early projected starting lineup for the season. Curious if others have different opinions.

OFFENSE
QB:
1A- Graham
1B- Yates
Graham and Yates will be in tight competition this Fall and I expect both to be much improved and provide more consistent play at QB than we saw last year. Graham has the edge due to experience but Yates could easily take the role. I just hope we don’t rotate mid drives like we did last year. Ideally the competition will be over at the end of Fall camp.

RB:
Jordan Mason
It goes without saying Mason will be a lock to start at RB. He is arguably the most talented player on the roster and is projected to have a monster season behind an improved OL. This may be our deepest position this year and I look for Griffin and D. Smith to get significant carries as well. Both of them looked great in Spring camp and took a step forward since last season. I also expect Gibbs to carve out a role as the lead APB that can make plays on 3rd and long and provide the electric playmaking ability we need out of the position.

WR:
Jalen Camp
Malachi Carter/Adonicas Sanders
The WR group should also take a step forward this year with Camp returning from injury. He looks faster and stronger than he did pre-injury and is projected to be an impact player for us. I’m looking for either Carter or Sanders to step up and provide a consistent second option outside. Both showed potential last year but struggled with consistency. We also have some young talent behind this group in guys like Peje Harris, Avery Boyd, and Ryan King who could provide some solid depth.

Slot:
Ahmarean Brown
Brown was one of the most exciting players to watch last year and should only improve with better OL and QB play. Behind him Kalani Norris and incoming freshman Nate McCollum should make up a young but very solids slot receiver group

TE:
Dylan Deveney
This group will be young and relatively inexperienced with only Deveney and Leonard providing game time experience. I expect CDP to have fewer TE sets this year and defer to adding an extra RB given our depth there. However, Deveney and Leonard showed some promise last year and incoming freshman Billy Ward could also compete for playing time

LT:
Devin Chochran
Our OL will start with Cochran this year who should come in and be the most talented player across the line. Behind Cochran I expect Clark and Williams to split time but we will likely keep Cochran on the field as much as possible

LG:
Jack Defoor
Defoor showed some great potential last year and is a preseason All ACC candidate. The new system seemed to fit Defoor perfectly and he should be our starter at LG. Behind him I expect I expect either Austin Smith, Mike Maye, or an incoming freshman to get some snaps. We will need one of them to step up and provide depth. If no one is able to, we might be forced to move someone like Cooper or Minihan here.

C:
Kenny Cooper
It should be a battle this fall between Cooper and Minihan. Cooper has been battling injuries for the past year but has proven to be a talented OL when he has been healthy. Minihan also was injured most of last season but played well this Spring at C. Lay should also be a solid backup given his experience. Our depth at Center will allow us to move some people to OG if we have injuries or depth concerns

RG:
Ryan Johnson
Like Cochran, Johnson should come in as a transfer and make an immediate impact. Look for him to be a leader on the OL this year and secure the starting job. Behind him Smith and Maye are candidates for playing time along with some incoming freshman. Like LG, we are not very deep here and might need Minihan or Cooper to play if there are injuries.

RT:
Zach Quinney
Quinney has bulked up significantly since he arrived on campus. He has improved each year and should continue to build on his solid season last year. He has the size and frame we need at tackle and should be a lock to start here. Clark and Williams are candidates to backup Quinney and provide solid depth.

DEFENSE
SDE:
Antonneous Clayton
The former 5 Star recruit has a lot of hype around him this offseason and should be an impact player on defense. He has an NFL frame and could be one of our best DL this year. We should have good depth this year at the position with Dingle and Yondjouen bringing some valuable experience and upside to the position. I also expect Owens to play some snaps here on goal line and short yardage situations.

DT:
Jahaziel Lee
The coaches have raved about Jahaziel since the new staff arrived on campus. He primarily played OT last year before his season ending injury but has all the tools to succeed at DT. His combination of size and quickness should contribute to his success here. We also have solid depth with guys like Chimedza and Chris Martin fighting for playing time and potentially a starting role.

DT:
Antwan Owens
Owens has put on muscle this offseason and seems primed to make the move to DT. His skills as a pash rusher should make him a great option at DT. I’m also excited to see younger guys like Mike Lockhart and Quon Griffin get significant snaps here. Both guys looked great last year and Lockhart has as much upside as anyone on our defense. Griffin is not physically intimidating but his quickness and knack for slipping under larger Guards should be exciting to watch as he adds muscle in the offseason.

WDE
Jordan Domineck
I expect this to be another intense competition in fall camp between Domineck and Chico Bennett. Both Domineck and Bennett have huge upside and will be fun to watch. Domineck played great especially towards the end of the season and Bennett was having an incredible freshman season before getting injured. Coach Coleman is extremely high on Bennett so I could see him winning the job if he builds on his freshman campaign. We should have great depth here as well with Henderson returning and incoming stars Kaya Wright and Jared Ivey pushing for playing time.

MLB:
David Curry
Curry will be the leader of the defense this year and has earned the respect of his coaches and teammates. He hasn’t shown to be the most naturally gifted LBs on the roster but his toughness and leadership make him a lock to start here. Behind him I expect to see Quez Jackson play significant snaps and we could often see the two of them on the field at the same time.

WLB:
Demetrius Knight
This will be a tossup between Knight and Jackson but I think the upside Knight offers is off the charts and he has the physical ability to be an All ACC caliber LB. He showed off his ability as a freshman last year but if he can learn the defense he could be one of our best players in the coming years. Quez will also play significant snaps here and I could see him winning the job as well. One of the underrated players at the position is Jerry Howard after making the move from RB. He was impressive this spring and could play himself into a significant role if he learns the defense. Like Knight, he has all the physical tools needed. Incoming freshmen Meiguez and Franks could also see some playing time here.

CB:
Tre Swilling
Swilling is a lock at starting here and will be an All ACC level CB this year. Behind him we have good depth with guys like Miles Sims and incoming freshman Miles Brooks. I expect Brooks to earn playing time but it will be almost impossible to beat our Swilling.

CB:
Tobias Oliver
I am calling it now. Tobias Olivier will be the biggest surprise on the team this year. He was already playing with the 1s this spring after just two weeks of learning his new position. His athleticism and competitiveness make it impossible to keep him off the field. He will have tough competition with guys like Walton, Brooks, and Askew but I think he will win the job. I am also going to make the hot take that Oliver will find his way on an All ACC team this year. He was a turnover machine this spring and between him, Swilling, Walton, and Brooks we will have one of the best secondaries in the ACC this year.

NB:
Charlie Thomas
Thomas made the move from LB to NB this offseason and it fits him perfectly. He is the hardest hitter on the team and will be a nightmare for receivers or RBs who make it into the secondary. Competing with Thomas will be Kaleb Oliver who could also win the starting job. We are set here at NB with solid depth in guys like Jaylon King and Wesley Walker.

FS:
Tariq Carpenter
Carpenter is another lock at starting this year. He was one of our best defensive playmakers and should be an NFL prospect/All ACC player after this season. Behind him I expect Derrick Allen and Jaylon King to get some playing time. Both guys were high rated recruits out of HS and will be strong backups for Carpenter

SS
Juanyeh Thomas
Along with Carpenter, Thomas is one of our top defensive players and will round out the starters for one of the top ACC secondaries next year. He also has NFL potential and will be an All ACC caliber player. Behind Thomas we have Avery Showell who is very solid and could probably start at some ACC schools
I just don't see TO on a Corner. He's been fun to watch these past few years at other positions but I would never imagine him having the right tools for a Corner. Sure, he could be a jammer at the LOS but after 5 yds past the LOS I think he get burned. I hope you're right though.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
His dad was an LB and maybe 2-3" taller.
I remember Buddy couldn't keep the weight on. He would start summer workouts with the Falcons at 230 or so but within 2-3 weeks was at 210. Didn't seem to matter as he could hit and bring down RB's/TE's easily.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I remember Buddy couldn't keep the weight on. He would start summer workouts with the Falcons at 230 or so but within 2-3 weeks was at 210. Didn't seem to matter as he could hit and bring down RB's/TE's easily.
Yes he could but I don't remember any weight issues but that was along time ago. I do remember drinking beers with him, Vanna White, and Gordy Watson a few nights one summer at Gordy's brother's place "Billy's". It seemed to be all of 230 then. Were you around ATL then when Buckhead was a fun place.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don't see TO on a Corner. He's been fun to watch these past few years at other positions but I would never imagine him having the right tools for a Corner. Sure, he could be a jammer at the LOS but after 5 yds past the LOS I think he get burned. I hope you're right though.
He's been consistently described as the most athletic player on the team, so I would hope he can stick with opposing receivers on their routes. I don't know how fast he is in a sprint, but I know he's not slow.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes he could but I don't remember any weight issues but that was along time ago. I do remember drinking beers with him, Vanna White, and Gordy Watson a few nights one summer at Gordy's brother's place "Billy's". It seemed to be all of 230 then. Were you around ATL then when Buckhead was a fun place.
I just remember an interview on the news, may have been Harmon Wages, and they were discussing how much weight he would lose during summer workouts/preseason while he tried all spring to bulk up knowing it would slide back off.

I do remember some fun Buckhead days, especially during school, but those discussions are for another time and place ;). And never have had a drink with Vanna. Was Billy's the small bar on the triangle with pool tables and darts near Carlos McGee's? If so, then yes I probably do have some stories though quite "foggy" today. Spent lots of time as a youngster in Buckhead since my grandmother lived just off Paces Ferry for a number of years, then moved up closer to Brookhaven when I was at Tech. Haven't really driven through there in probably 10 years and I'm sure it looks a bit different today.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I just remember an interview on the news, may have been Harmon Wages, and they were discussing how much weight he would lose during summer workouts/preseason while he tried all spring to bulk up knowing it would slide back off.

I do remember some fun Buckhead days, especially during school, but those discussions are for another time and place ;). And never have had a drink with Vanna. Was Billy's the small bar on the triangle with pool tables and darts near Carlos McGee's? If so, then yes I probably do have some stories though quite "foggy" today. Spent lots of time as a youngster in Buckhead since my grandmother lived just off Paces Ferry for a number of years, then moved up closer to Brookhaven when I was at Tech. Haven't really driven through there in probably 10 years and I'm sure it looks a bit different today.
I think Carlos Magee's was across that side street from Billy's. They both had Roswell Road fronts and Billy's was part of the storefronts that the Buckhead Theater was in. Ray Lewis killed off Fun Buckhead.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
My take on breakout players and impact freshmen.
OFFENSE:
Breakout players:
1. Jalen Camp
As mentioned above, he has gotten faster and looks even more physically fit (if that was even possible). He will be a nightmare for opposing CBs and if our QB play can improve he could play his way into the NFL.
2. Dontae Smith
There was a lot of hype around Smith last year and I was disappointed to see how little chances he got. This year he’s added muscle and looks even better. With Howard moving to LB and our perceived increase in overall offensive production, there should be more opportunities for him to succeed.
3. Jamious Griffin
I wanted to include a different position group here since I listed Smith above but I think our RB unit will be dominant next year and Griffin will play a big part in that. We will likely play a lot of 2 RB sets to get these playmakers on the field. I expect our RB trio of Mason, Griffin, and Smith to be one of he top units in the ACC and possibly country. Add in Gibbs and we will be lethal.

Impact Freshmen:
1. Jahmyr Gibbs
This is the obvious option but he is elite.
2. Jordan Williams
With Williams enrolling early and getting spring reps I expect him to play a role in the offense and potentially be a key backup to Cochran/Quinney

Underrated freshman: Avery Boyd
Boyd runs a 4.4 and showed out against top Florida DBs including our own Miles Brooks. I’m shocked he wasn’t rated higher but I think he has a very good shot at playing significant snaps this year.

DEFENSE
Breakout players:
1. Tobias Oliver
As I mentioned above, I am expecting Oliver to be the biggest surprise on the team next year. He is one of those players that just always succeeds no matter where he lines up. CB seems like the perfect position for him because he has the speed, athleticism, size, and competitiveness to play with any WR. He will also have the luxury of Swilling taking on teams best opposing WR. I expect teams to try to pick on Oliver early next year but he will soon show to be an elite CB. He got a ton of hype this spring.
2. Demetrius Knight
He showed flashes of an elite LB last year but just needs to learn how to play defense. He obviously is a smart kid and played QB in Hs so he should be able to pick things up this year with another year of experience. I’m excited to see him take the next step.
3. Chico Bennett
Like Knight, Bennett showed flashes of an elite young player. Unfortunately his season was cut short due to injury but Marco Coleman loves him and he will be an elite pass rusher. He looks to have put on some muscle in the offseason as well.

Impact Freshmen:
1. Miles Brooks
Like Gibbs this is an obvious choice but I fully expect Miles to be in the 2 deep this season and be one of our top freshmen
2. Franks or Meiguez
The 2 HS teammates will both have a good opportunity to earn playing time at a thin spot of our defense in LB. I expect both of them to play but one will likely redshirt. My money is on Franks being the one that plays his way into major playing time. His knack for getting to the ball was unlike any of our other recruits in this class and his stats back that up.
3. Jared Ivey
Ivey was highly rated out of Hs and I expect him to play his way into the WDE lineup. I think he still needs to bulk up a little but his length and upside is as high as anyone.

Underrated freshman: Khaya Wright
Wright did not play at a big time high school but his tape is elite and I think he is extremely underrated coming out of Hs. The only thing holding him back imo is the depth we have built at WDE, but look for him to compete with Ivey at WDE and also line up at linebacker potentially.

thanks so much for writing these, I am Finally getting excited about fb!

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is my Take:

OFFENSE
QB:
1A- Graham (For Clemson ...see 2019 and how they started Tobias Oliver)
1B- Sims/Gleason
Graham starts vs Clemson, however Sims or Gleason will be starting at the end of the year and during the Bowl Game!

RB:
1A- Jordan Mason
1B- Griffin/Gibbs
Mason will be a lock to start at RB. 2 four stars behind him ready to go!

WR:
1A-Jalen Camp
1B- Ezzard/Carter/Sanders
The WR group should also take a step forward this year with Camp returning from injury and transfer Ezzard ready to play.

Slot:
1A-Ahmarean Brown
1B- Smith/McCollum
Brown was one of the most exciting players to watch last year and should only improve with better OL and QB play. Behind him D. Smith and incoming freshman N. McCollum.

TE:
1A-Dylan Deveney
1B- Dylan Leonard
This group will be young and relatively inexperienced with only Deveney and Leonard providing game time experience.

LT:
Devin Chochran
LG:
Jack Defoor
C:
Kenny Cooper
RG:
Ryan Johnson
RT:
Zach Quinney

DEFENSE
SDE:
1A- Antonneous Clayton
1B- S. Yondjouen
The former 5 Star recruit who will be an impact player on defense.

DT:
1A-Jahaziel Lee
1-Chimedza & Martin
The coaches have raved about Jahaziel since the new staff arrived on campus.

DT:
1A-Antwan Owens
1B-Quon Griffin

WDE
1A-Jordan Domineck
1B- Chico Bennett

MLB:
1A-David Curry
1B- Jackson
Curry will be the leader of the defense.

WLB:
1A-Demetrius Knight
1B- Jackson
This will be a tossup between Knight and Jackson

CB:
Tre Swilling
Swilling is a lock at starting here and will be an All ACC level CB this year.

CB:
Tobias Oliver

NB:
1A-Charlie Thomas
1B- Kaleb Oliver
Thomas made the move from LB to NB this offseason and it fits him perfectly.

FS:
1A-Tariq Carpenter
1B- Derrick Allen

Carpenter is another lock at starting this year. He was one of our best defensive playmakers and should be an NFL prospect/All ACC player after this season. Behind him I expect Derrick Allen to get some playing time.

SS
1A-Juanyeh Thomas
1B- Derrick Allen
Along with Carpenter, Thomas is one of our top defensive players and will round out the starters for one of the top ACC secondaries next year. He also has NFL potential and will be an All ACC caliber player.

Don't know if I agree 100% across-the-board with GT Fletch here, but I am 100% down with TO being HUGE defense contributor.....Oliver is a "FB player".... if he is on the field, he will make plays

alagold

Helluva Engineer

CG now says he expects TO to be one of the best CBs in nation.wow-I guess that means he starts.