Projected Starting Lineup

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Since workouts are about to start back up, I figured it would be a good time to put together an early projected starting lineup for the season. Curious if others have different opinions.

OFFENSE
QB:
1A- Graham
1B- Yates
Graham and Yates will be in tight competition this Fall and I expect both to be much improved and provide more consistent play at QB than we saw last year. Graham has the edge due to experience but Yates could easily take the role. I just hope we don’t rotate mid drives like we did last year. Ideally the competition will be over at the end of Fall camp.

RB:
Jordan Mason
It goes without saying Mason will be a lock to start at RB. He is arguably the most talented player on the roster and is projected to have a monster season behind an improved OL. This may be our deepest position this year and I look for Griffin and D. Smith to get significant carries as well. Both of them looked great in Spring camp and took a step forward since last season. I also expect Gibbs to carve out a role as the lead APB that can make plays on 3rd and long and provide the electric playmaking ability we need out of the position.

WR:
Jalen Camp
Malachi Carter/Adonicas Sanders
The WR group should also take a step forward this year with Camp returning from injury. He looks faster and stronger than he did pre-injury and is projected to be an impact player for us. I’m looking for either Carter or Sanders to step up and provide a consistent second option outside. Both showed potential last year but struggled with consistency. We also have some young talent behind this group in guys like Peje Harris, Avery Boyd, and Ryan King who could provide some solid depth.

Slot:
Ahmarean Brown
Brown was one of the most exciting players to watch last year and should only improve with better OL and QB play. Behind him Kalani Norris and incoming freshman Nate McCollum should make up a young but very solids slot receiver group

TE:
Dylan Deveney
This group will be young and relatively inexperienced with only Deveney and Leonard providing game time experience. I expect CDP to have fewer TE sets this year and defer to adding an extra RB given our depth there. However, Deveney and Leonard showed some promise last year and incoming freshman Billy Ward could also compete for playing time

LT:
Devin Chochran
Our OL will start with Cochran this year who should come in and be the most talented player across the line. Behind Cochran I expect Clark and Williams to split time but we will likely keep Cochran on the field as much as possible

LG:
Jack Defoor
Defoor showed some great potential last year and is a preseason All ACC candidate. The new system seemed to fit Defoor perfectly and he should be our starter at LG. Behind him I expect I expect either Austin Smith, Mike Maye, or an incoming freshman to get some snaps. We will need one of them to step up and provide depth. If no one is able to, we might be forced to move someone like Cooper or Minihan here.

C:
Kenny Cooper
It should be a battle this fall between Cooper and Minihan. Cooper has been battling injuries for the past year but has proven to be a talented OL when he has been healthy. Minihan also was injured most of last season but played well this Spring at C. Lay should also be a solid backup given his experience. Our depth at Center will allow us to move some people to OG if we have injuries or depth concerns

RG:
Ryan Johnson
Like Cochran, Johnson should come in as a transfer and make an immediate impact. Look for him to be a leader on the OL this year and secure the starting job. Behind him Smith and Maye are candidates for playing time along with some incoming freshman. Like LG, we are not very deep here and might need Minihan or Cooper to play if there are injuries.

RT:
Zach Quinney
Quinney has bulked up significantly since he arrived on campus. He has improved each year and should continue to build on his solid season last year. He has the size and frame we need at tackle and should be a lock to start here. Clark and Williams are candidates to backup Quinney and provide solid depth.

DEFENSE
SDE:
Antonneous Clayton
The former 5 Star recruit has a lot of hype around him this offseason and should be an impact player on defense. He has an NFL frame and could be one of our best DL this year. We should have good depth this year at the position with Dingle and Yondjouen bringing some valuable experience and upside to the position. I also expect Owens to play some snaps here on goal line and short yardage situations.

DT:
Jahaziel Lee
The coaches have raved about Jahaziel since the new staff arrived on campus. He primarily played OT last year before his season ending injury but has all the tools to succeed at DT. His combination of size and quickness should contribute to his success here. We also have solid depth with guys like Chimedza and Chris Martin fighting for playing time and potentially a starting role.

DT:
Antwan Owens
Owens has put on muscle this offseason and seems primed to make the move to DT. His skills as a pash rusher should make him a great option at DT. I’m also excited to see younger guys like Mike Lockhart and Quon Griffin get significant snaps here. Both guys looked great last year and Lockhart has as much upside as anyone on our defense. Griffin is not physically intimidating but his quickness and knack for slipping under larger Guards should be exciting to watch as he adds muscle in the offseason.

WDE
Jordan Domineck
I expect this to be another intense competition in fall camp between Domineck and Chico Bennett. Both Domineck and Bennett have huge upside and will be fun to watch. Domineck played great especially towards the end of the season and Bennett was having an incredible freshman season before getting injured. Coach Coleman is extremely high on Bennett so I could see him winning the job if he builds on his freshman campaign. We should have great depth here as well with Henderson returning and incoming stars Kaya Wright and Jared Ivey pushing for playing time.

MLB:
David Curry
Curry will be the leader of the defense this year and has earned the respect of his coaches and teammates. He hasn’t shown to be the most naturally gifted LBs on the roster but his toughness and leadership make him a lock to start here. Behind him I expect to see Quez Jackson play significant snaps and we could often see the two of them on the field at the same time.

WLB:
Demetrius Knight
This will be a tossup between Knight and Jackson but I think the upside Knight offers is off the charts and he has the physical ability to be an All ACC caliber LB. He showed off his ability as a freshman last year but if he can learn the defense he could be one of our best players in the coming years. Quez will also play significant snaps here and I could see him winning the job as well. One of the underrated players at the position is Jerry Howard after making the move from RB. He was impressive this spring and could play himself into a significant role if he learns the defense. Like Knight, he has all the physical tools needed. Incoming freshmen Meiguez and Franks could also see some playing time here.

CB:
Tre Swilling
Swilling is a lock at starting here and will be an All ACC level CB this year. Behind him we have good depth with guys like Miles Sims and incoming freshman Miles Brooks. I expect Brooks to earn playing time but it will be almost impossible to beat our Swilling.

CB:
Tobias Oliver
I am calling it now. Tobias Olivier will be the biggest surprise on the team this year. He was already playing with the 1s this spring after just two weeks of learning his new position. His athleticism and competitiveness make it impossible to keep him off the field. He will have tough competition with guys like Walton, Brooks, and Askew but I think he will win the job. I am also going to make the hot take that Oliver will find his way on an All ACC team this year. He was a turnover machine this spring and between him, Swilling, Walton, and Brooks we will have one of the best secondaries in the ACC this year.

NB:
Charlie Thomas
Thomas made the move from LB to NB this offseason and it fits him perfectly. He is the hardest hitter on the team and will be a nightmare for receivers or RBs who make it into the secondary. Competing with Thomas will be Kaleb Oliver who could also win the starting job. We are set here at NB with solid depth in guys like Jaylon King and Wesley Walker.

FS:
Tariq Carpenter
Carpenter is another lock at starting this year. He was one of our best defensive playmakers and should be an NFL prospect/All ACC player after this season. Behind him I expect Derrick Allen and Jaylon King to get some playing time. Both guys were high rated recruits out of HS and will be strong backups for Carpenter

SS
Juanyeh Thomas
Along with Carpenter, Thomas is one of our top defensive players and will round out the starters for one of the top ACC secondaries next year. He also has NFL potential and will be an All ACC caliber player. Behind Thomas we have Avery Showell who is very solid and could probably start at some ACC schools

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Since workouts are about to start back up, I figured it would be a good time to put together an early projected starting lineup for the season. Curious if others have different opinions.

OFFENSE
QB:
1A- Graham
1B- Yates
Graham and Yates will be in tight competition this Fall and I expect both to be much improved and provide more consistent play at QB than we saw last year. Graham has the edge due to experience but Yates could easily take the role. I just hope we don’t rotate mid drives like we did last year. Ideally the competition will be over at the end of Fall camp.

RB:
Jordan Mason
It goes without saying Mason will be a lock to start at RB. He is arguably the most talented player on the roster and is projected to have a monster season behind an improved OL. This may be our deepest position this year and I look for Griffin and D. Smith to get significant carries as well. Both of them looked great in Spring camp and took a step forward since last season. I also expect Gibbs to carve out a role as the lead APB that can make plays on 3rd and long and provide the electric playmaking ability we need out of the position.

WR:
Jalen Camp
The WR group should also take a step forward this year with Camp returning from injury. He looks faster and stronger than he did pre-injury and is projected to be an impact player for us. I’m looking for either Carter or Sanders to step up and provide a consistent second option outside. Both showed potential last year but struggled with consistency. We also have some young talent behind this group in guys like Peje Harris, Avery Boyd, and Ryan King who could provide some solid depth.

Slot:
Ahmarean Brown
Brown was one of the most exciting players to watch last year and should only improve with better OL and QB play. Behind him Kalani Norris and incoming freshman Nate McCollum should make up a young but very solids slot receiver group

TE:
Dylan Deveney
This group will be young and relatively inexperienced with only Deveney and Leonard providing game time experience. I expect CDP to have fewer TE sets this year and defer to adding an extra RB given our depth there. However, Deveney and Leonard showed some promise last year and incoming freshman Billy Ward could also compete for playing time

LT:
Devin Chochran
Our OL will start with Cochran this year who should come in and be the most talented player across the line. Behind Cochran I expect Clark and Williams to split time but we will likely keep Cochran on the field as much as possible

LG:
Jack Defoor
Defoor showed some great potential last year and is a preseason All ACC candidate. The new system seemed to fit Defoor perfectly and he should be our starter at LG. Behind him I expect I expect either Austin Smith, Mike Maye, or an incoming freshman to get some snaps. We will need one of them to step up and provide depth. If no one is able to, we might be forced to move someone like Cooper or Minihan here.

C:
Kenny Cooper
It should be a battle this fall between Cooper and Minihan. Cooper has been battling injuries for the past year but has proven to be a talented OL when he has been healthy. Minihan also was injured most of last season but played well this Spring at C. Lay should also be a solid backup given his experience. Our depth at Center will allow us to move some people to OG if we have injuries or depth concerns

RG:
Ryan Johnson
Like Cochran, Johnson should come in as a transfer and make an immediate impact. Look for him to be a leader on the OL this year and secure the starting job. Behind him Smith and Maye are candidates for playing time along with some incoming freshman. Like LG, we are not very deep here and might need Minihan or Cooper to play if there are injuries.

RT:
Zach Quinney
Quinney has bulked up significantly since he arrived on campus. He has improved each year and should continue to build on his solid season last year. He has the size and frame we need at tackle and should be a lock to start here. Clark and Williams are candidates to backup Quinney and provide solid depth.

DEFENSE
SDE:
Antonneous Clayton
The former 5 Star recruit has a lot of hype around him this offseason and should be an impact player on defense. He has an NFL frame and could be one of our best DL this year. We should have good depth this year at the position with Dingle and Yondjouen bringing some valuable experience and upside to the position. I also expect Owens to play some snaps here on goal line and short yardage situations.

DT:
Jahaziel Lee
The coaches have raved about Jahaziel since the new staff arrived on campus. He primarily played OT last year before his season ending injury but has all the tools to succeed at DT. His combination of size and quickness should contribute to his success here. We also have solid depth with guys like Chimedza and Chris Martin fighting for playing time and potentially a starting role.

DT:
Antwan Owens
Owens has put on muscle this offseason and seems primed to make the move to DT. His skills as a pash rusher should make him a great option at DT. I’m also excited to see younger guys like Mike Lockhart and Quon Griffin get significant snaps here. Both guys looked great last year and Lockhart has as much upside as anyone on our defense. Griffin is not physically intimidating but his quickness and knack for slipping under larger Guards should be exciting to watch as he adds muscle in the offseason.

WDE
Jordan Domineck
I expect this to be another intense competition in fall camp between Domineck and Chico Bennett. Both Domineck and Bennett have huge upside and will be fun to watch. Domineck played great especially towards the end of the season and Bennett was having an incredible freshman season before getting injured. Coach Coleman is extremely high on Bennett so I could see him winning the job if he builds on his freshman campaign. We should have great depth here as well with Henderson returning and incoming stars Kaya Wright and Jared Ivey pushing for playing time.

MLB:
David Curry
Curry will be the leader of the defense this year and has earned the respect of his coaches and teammates. He hasn’t shown to be the most naturally gifted LBs on the roster but his toughness and leadership make him a lock to start here. Behind him I expect to see Quez Jackson play significant snaps and we could often see the two of them on the field at the same time.

WLB:
Demetrius Knight
This will be a tossup between Knight and Jackson but I think the upside Knight offers is off the charts and he has the physical ability to be an All ACC caliber LB. He showed off his ability as a freshman last year but if he can learn the defense he could be one of our best players in the coming years. Quez will also play significant snaps here and I could see him winning the job as well. One of the underrated players at the position is Jerry Howard after making the move from RB. He was impressive this spring and could play himself into a significant role if he learns the defense. Like Knight, he has all the physical tools needed. Incoming freshmen Meiguez and Franks could also see some playing time here.

CB:
Tre Swilling
Swilling is a lock at starting here and will be an All ACC level CB this year. Behind him we have good depth with guys like Miles Sims and incoming freshman Miles Brooks. I expect Brooks to earn playing time but it will be almost impossible to beat our Swilling.

CB:
Tobias Oliver
I am calling it now. Tobias Olivier will be the biggest surprise on the team this year. He was already playing with the 1s this spring after just two weeks of learning his new position. His athleticism and competitiveness make it impossible to keep him off the field. He will have tough competition with guys like Walton, Brooks, and Askew but I think he will win the job. I am also going to make the hot take that Oliver will find his way on an All ACC team this year. He was a turnover machine this spring and between him, Swilling, Walton, and Brooks we will have one of the best secondaries in the ACC this year.

NB:
Charlie Thomas
Thomas made the move from LB to NB this offseason and it fits him perfectly. He is the hardest hitter on the team and will be a nightmare for receivers or RBs who make it into the secondary. Competing with Thomas will be Kaleb Oliver who could also win the starting job. We are set here at NB with solid depth in guys like Jaylon King and Wesley Walker.

FS:
Tariq Carpenter
Carpenter is another lock at starting this year. He was one of our best defensive playmakers and should be an NFL prospect/All ACC player after this season. Behind him I expect Derrick Allen and Jaylon King to get some playing time. Both guys were high rated recruits out of HS and will be strong backups for Carpenter

SS
Juanyeh Thomas
Along with Carpenter, Thomas is one of our top defensive players and will round out the starters for one of the top ACC secondaries next year. He also has NFL potential and will be an All ACC caliber player. Behind Thomas we have Avery Showell who is very solid and could probably start at some ACC schools
You really going to leave Brown off the WR depth chart? You've also left off Ezzard.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I swear he added slot after I commented. LOL
Yeah I forgot to add Slot. Ezzard should also be in the WR mix but apparently did not have a great spring. He will see the field but needs to improve if he will beat out Camp, Sanders, or Carter.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
The Ezzard comment is contrary to what I read. Personally, I have no idea.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/0P0aBKEM/what-can-georgia-tech-expect-to-see-in-wr-marquez-ezzard
Apparently he was great all last Fall but really struggled this spring (I think he was a little banged up which could have been the reason). Even guys like Peje Harris and Zach Owens were outperforming him. However, it was only a couple weeks and he definitely has the raw potential. I’m betting he will get back to what he was doing last Fall, but he still will probably be a backup.

kalld12

Banned

OFFENSE
QB:
1A- Graham
1B- Yates

RB:
Jordan Mason

WR:
Jalen Camp

Slot:
Ahmarean Brown

TE:
Dylan Deveney

LT:
Devin Chochran

LG:
Jack Defoor

C:
Kenny Cooper

RG:
Ryan Johnson

RT:
Zach Quinney

DEFENSE
SDE:
Antonneous Clayton

DT:
Jahaziel Lee

DT:
Antwan Owens

WDE
Jordan Domineck

MLB:
David Curry

WLB:
Demetrius Knight

CB:
Tre Swilling

CB:
Tobias Oliver

NB:
Charlie Thomas

FS:
Tariq Carpenter

SS
Juanyeh Thomas

Just want to say thank you for the time and effort that went into this post UNLIKE some of our other posters. Sheesh.....

One thing is forsure, IM HYPED AF for the season, i think were going to see huge improvements all around.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
This roster looks like it can be much more consistent than last year. Due to personnel and injury we kind of had to Frankenstein a roster together.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
After reviewing, I also put together a list of my thoughts on our All ACC candidates. It will be refreshing to see many of these guys make this cut this year after several years of having very few make it. Did I leave anyone out?

Lock:
Mason
Cochran
Swilling
Carpenter
Harvin

Probable:
Defoor
Curry
Brown
J. Thomas

Potential:
R. Johnson
Clayton
Oliver

Long shots:
Quinney
C. Thomas
Cooper
Owens
Camp

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for laying this out! I was seriously looking at our roster over the weekend giving it some thought.

I feel like our starting 22 this year matches up pretty well with anyone in the ACC, except Clemson. Good mix of young talent and savvy veterans who punch above their weight, plus a few very talented veterans. If we are extraordinarily lucky with injuries and the team gels (esp the OL transfers), I think we could really surprise some folks. But we are very short on depth. Just a few key injuries (basically anybody on either line :nailbiting:) and we could have serious issues.

I hope you're right about J. Camp. He seems to have all the tools, but it has never seemed 'click' for him. I really hope he can have a breakout year.

I'm very interested to see Graham this year. There were spurts and games where he looked like an upper tier ACC QB and spurts he looked completely lost. But: he missed last spring entirely, shared practice reps in the fall, learning a new system, was practicing at WR the year before, and had arguably the worst OL in the country protecting him... So, without as many headwinds maybe the last year's ceiling can be this year's floor.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for laying this out! I was seriously looking at our roster over the weekend giving it some thought.

I feel like our starting 22 this year matches up pretty well with anyone in the ACC, except Clemson. Good mix of young talent and savvy veterans who punch above their weight, plus a few very talented veterans. If we are extraordinarily lucky with injuries and the team gels (esp the OL transfers), I think we could really surprise some folks. But we are very short on depth. Just a few key injuries (basically anybody on either line :nailbiting:) and we could have serious issues.

I hope you're right about J. Camp. He seems to have all the tools, but it has never seemed 'click' for him. I really hope he can have a breakout year.

I'm very interested to see Graham this year. There were spurts and games where he looked like an upper tier ACC QB and spurts he looked completely lost. But: he missed last spring entirely, shared practice reps in the fall, learning a new system, was practicing at WR the year before, and had arguably the worst OL in the country protecting him... So, without as many headwinds maybe the last year's ceiling can be this year's floor.
I’m also looking forward to watching Camp. I agree he never seems to put it all together but I feel really good about this being his year. I watched a practice this spring and he was in a league of his own. He has gotten faster and he’s always been able to physically dominate smaller DBs but now he can also run with them.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Here's what I got. I dunno where these backups will fall in place, especially the linemen.

QB: Graham, Sims
RB: Mason, Gibbs, Griffin, Swilling
WR: Camp, Ezzard
WR: Carter, Sanders
SLOT: Brown, Blancato, McCollum
TE: Deveney, Leonard
OL: Cochran, Maye
OL: Johnson, Minivan
OL: Cooper, Lay
OL: DeFoor, Austin Smith
OL: Quinney, Jordan Williams

Don't really know where some of these DEs or DBs belong, but here goes nothin.

DE: Clayton, Domineck
DE: Owens, Dingle, Yondjouen
DT: Lee, Martin, Lockhart
DT: Chimezda, Brooks
LB: Curry, Henderson
LB: Knight, Quez
CB: Swilling, Tobias
CB: Walton, Askew
S: Juanyeh, Allen
S: Carpenter, Showell
N: K. Oliver, Thomas

I'm excited about our returning experience, new size, and depth. If we stay healthy, we can make some noise.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
My take on breakout players and impact freshmen.
OFFENSE:
Breakout players:
1. Jalen Camp
As mentioned above, he has gotten faster and looks even more physically fit (if that was even possible). He will be a nightmare for opposing CBs and if our QB play can improve he could play his way into the NFL.
2. Dontae Smith
There was a lot of hype around Smith last year and I was disappointed to see how little chances he got. This year he’s added muscle and looks even better. With Howard moving to LB and our perceived increase in overall offensive production, there should be more opportunities for him to succeed.
3. Jamious Griffin
I wanted to include a different position group here since I listed Smith above but I think our RB unit will be dominant next year and Griffin will play a big part in that. We will likely play a lot of 2 RB sets to get these playmakers on the field. I expect our RB trio of Mason, Griffin, and Smith to be one of he top units in the ACC and possibly country. Add in Gibbs and we will be lethal.

Impact Freshmen:
1. Jahmyr Gibbs
This is the obvious option but he is elite.
2. Jordan Williams
With Williams enrolling early and getting spring reps I expect him to play a role in the offense and potentially be a key backup to Cochran/Quinney

Underrated freshman: Avery Boyd
Boyd runs a 4.4 and showed out against top Florida DBs including our own Miles Brooks. I’m shocked he wasn’t rated higher but I think he has a very good shot at playing significant snaps this year.

DEFENSE
Breakout players:
1. Tobias Oliver
As I mentioned above, I am expecting Oliver to be the biggest surprise on the team next year. He is one of those players that just always succeeds no matter where he lines up. CB seems like the perfect position for him because he has the speed, athleticism, size, and competitiveness to play with any WR. He will also have the luxury of Swilling taking on teams best opposing WR. I expect teams to try to pick on Oliver early next year but he will soon show to be an elite CB. He got a ton of hype this spring.
2. Demetrius Knight
He showed flashes of an elite LB last year but just needs to learn how to play defense. He obviously is a smart kid and played QB in Hs so he should be able to pick things up this year with another year of experience. I’m excited to see him take the next step.
3. Chico Bennett
Like Knight, Bennett showed flashes of an elite young player. Unfortunately his season was cut short due to injury but Marco Coleman loves him and he will be an elite pass rusher. He looks to have put on some muscle in the offseason as well.

Impact Freshmen:
1. Miles Brooks
Like Gibbs this is an obvious choice but I fully expect Miles to be in the 2 deep this season and be one of our top freshmen
2. Franks or Meiguez
The 2 HS teammates will both have a good opportunity to earn playing time at a thin spot of our defense in LB. I expect both of them to play but one will likely redshirt. My money is on Franks being the one that plays his way into major playing time. His knack for getting to the ball was unlike any of our other recruits in this class and his stats back that up.
3. Jared Ivey
Ivey was highly rated out of Hs and I expect him to play his way into the WDE lineup. I think he still needs to bulk up a little but his length and upside is as high as anyone.

Underrated freshman: Khaya Wright
Wright did not play at a big time high school but his tape is elite and I think he is extremely underrated coming out of Hs. The only thing holding him back imo is the depth we have built at WDE, but look for him to compete with Ivey at WDE and also line up at linebacker potentially.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The QB situation to me has the potential to be real different than I would naturally think it to be. Our FR. class (all positions ) has so much more natural ability than our veterans would not surprise me to see more of them playing as the year goes along than we think.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
My take on breakout players and impact freshmen.

Underrated freshman: Avery Boyd
Boyd runs a 4.4 and showed out against top Florida DBs including our own Miles Brooks. I’m shocked he wasn’t rated higher but I think he has a very good shot at playing significant snaps this year.

I really hope you are right here. I have been excited to see him play ever since I saw a game high-light tape. Strong hands, physical, and speed. Not sure about route running and jumping ability but looking forward to see what he can do.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
But we are very short on depth. Just a few key injuries (basically anybody on either line :nailbiting:) and we could have serious issues.

I don't really agree with that. We can cope with OL injuries with some shuffling likely and otherwise will probably have a lot of guys game ready, but the talent drop off will probably be significant if we lose 2 or 3 guys for any stretch. On DL overall we have a lot of unproven commodities, but I'm excited about the group. The size and strength will be much better. We're going to rotate a lot there anyway.