Projected Starting Lineup

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We will see rotating QB’s so you might as well accept it. The only way that doesn’t happen is if the starter against Clemson starts out on fire and we win. Other than that you’ll see 4 guys get PT. Collins has the long view.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Apparently he was great all last Fall but really struggled this spring (I think he was a little banged up which could have been the reason). Even guys like Peje Harris and Zach Owens were outperforming him. However, it was only a couple weeks and he definitely has the raw potential. I’m betting he will get back to what he was doing last Fall, but he still will probably be a backup.
Actually not what I’ve read from people who were at practice. He may be a backup but he will get on the field.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
thanks for all the work. I don't know the team as well as I used to know them but ..... the best players are 1) Trey Swilling - by a bunch 2) Mason 3) Carpenter 4) Brown and 5) Tobias Oliver but need to find him the right spot. Nothing personal but not as high on #6 or the big wide receiver. J Thomas has some talent as well.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually not what I’ve read from people who were at practice. He may be a backup but he will get on the field.
Agreed he will play but I just think he will be more of a 5th or 6th option. From what I've heard, guys like Camp, Sanders, Carter, Brown, and Norris are ahead of him. The good thing about Ezzard is he can play the slot or WR so his flexibility will help him find playing time. I hope I'm wrong and he ends up being an impact player though, it would be great to have another playmaker especially with a young QB.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Regardless, there is still a depth chart. Someone has to start.

But ref I have 24 defensive guys above the line. What do you mean I can only start with 11.

Graham. We made the mistake last year of taking too long to settle on him. Hopefully it doesn’t take half the season again.

Cochran, DeFoor, Cooper, Johnson for sure on the OL. Fifth spot will be a competition.

Brown, Carter, Sanders.

Crap shoot at TE. Not one of them has proven anything.

Clayton, Lee, Chimedza, Chico

Curry I guess. Honestly surprised he’s getting all conference love. I think Knight starts next to him and pushes for all conference though.

Yeh, Riq, Swilling for sure. Then I’ll go Oliver at Nickel. And no clue on the other CB.

Last edited:

bos

Helluva Engineer
Curry I guess. Honestly surprised he’s getting all conference love. I think Knight starts next to him and pushes for all conference though.

Curry will be 25 years old this season as a 6th-year senior and he may be the best vocal leader on this team. However, he was probably the biggest liability on defense a year ago. Really wish they would have tried him out to DE or somewhere else, but he does not deserve the most playing time at LB. I think that should go to Quez, Charlie, and Knight.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Curry will be 25 years old this season as a 6th-year senior and he may be the best vocal leader on this team. However, he was probably the biggest liability on defense a year ago. Really wish they would have tried him out to DE or somewhere else, but he does not deserve the most playing time at LB. I think that should go to Quez, Charlie, and Knight.
Him being on preseason all conf team is funny

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Him being on preseason all conf team is funny

I am mixed about him. On the one hand I wonder if it's just cause GT is not a team most of the pundits are going to follow with much depth lately and look at our roster and see a bunch of tackles for a 6th year senior or whether they know something I don't. Regardless, I'm cautiously optimistic that he will live up to that billing. He was asked to do a lot covering gaps for our DL and adjusting to yet another defensive scheme. I think if the DL can even just not be moved so easily to keep their gap assignments solid, Curry will look a whole lot better and will be able to help play at appropriate depth to cut off intermediate passes over the middle. He seemed to work on his tendency to go for a big hit instead of actually tackling someone last year, but that still concerns me. Would also like to see him get better at covering screens and such where he can let a player ride him down the field for a chunk before securing the tackle.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My problem with #6 is seeing time after time where he had the gap responsibility and doesn't get it done. Some times it is due to getting totally blocked so hole is wide open but others it's him taking a terrible angle and missing or making the hole just huge and an easy block for the lineman. He can make some nice plays occasionally and knife through but too many times when he tries that he simply overruns the play.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Agreed he will play but I just think he will be more of a 5th or 6th option. From what I've heard, guys like Camp, Sanders, Carter, Brown, and Norris are ahead of him. The good thing about Ezzard is he can play the slot or WR so his flexibility will help him find playing time. I hope I'm wrong and he ends up being an impact player though, it would be great to have another playmaker especially with a young QB.

I hope you are wrong or I fear we're in for another long season in the passing department. We desperately need some instant impact help at the WR spot.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I loved Currys high school tape, and when I heard he was moving to LB I got pumped to have his athleticism in the box. Curry hit the weights a little too hard during his injuries I think. Don’t forget, he was a stud punt returner and safety for Buford. Hopefully he puts it all together for his last season.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Here's what I got. I dunno where these backups will fall in place, especially the linemen.

QB: Graham, Sims
RB: Mason, Gibbs, Griffin, Swilling
WR: Camp, Ezzard
WR: Carter, Sanders
SLOT: Brown, Blancato, McCollum
TE: Deveney, Leonard
OL: Cochran, Maye
OL: Johnson, Minivan
OL: Cooper, Lay
OL: DeFoor, Austin Smith
OL: Quinney, Jordan Williams

Don't really know where some of these DEs or DBs belong, but here goes nothin.

DE: Clayton, Domineck
DE: Owens, Dingle, Yondjouen
DT: Lee, Martin, Lockhart
DT: Chimezda, Brooks
LB: Curry, Henderson
LB: Knight, Quez
CB: Swilling, Tobias
CB: Walton, Askew
S: Juanyeh, Allen
S: Carpenter, Showell
N: K. Oliver, Thomas

I'm excited about our returning experience, new size, and depth. If we stay healthy, we can make some noise.
Don't tell me we have an OL named Minivan. :)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I loved Currys high school tape, and when I heard he was moving to LB I got pumped to have his athleticism in the box. Curry hit the weights a little too hard during his injuries I think. Don’t forget, he was a stud punt returner and safety for Buford. Hopefully he puts it all together for his last season.
yep, it is almost like he is carrying too much weight because he certainly isn't agile now, so BY FAR--the best asset he has now is EXPERIENCE--maybe it will lead him to be in the right place at the right time (like making a key int sometime)

bos

Helluva Engineer

IMO Curry was much better when he was lighter. I think last year he played 230-235 and was too slow to react and make a play.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't really agree with that. We can cope with OL injuries with some shuffling likely and otherwise will probably have a lot of guys game ready, but the talent drop off will probably be significant if we lose 2 or 3 guys for any stretch. On DL overall we have a lot of unproven commodities, but I'm excited about the group. The size and strength will be much better. We're going to rotate a lot there anyway.

unfortunately I think true offensive line depth where we aren’t counting on freshman for backups is a few years away. I think our starting O-line this year will have 4 seniors with a chance for several freshman backups or people who weren't good enough to crack the top 5 last year. I think we will continue to go after transfers and potentially have true OL depth in 2022