Program direction.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We are what we are. And what we have been for 30-40 years. A 7-5 program on avg. 6-6 with a hard schedule, vegas had us over under at 6 is about right. Problem is the loss to usf hurts for sure

Our schedule, year in & out, for the last 5 to 6 years should automatically have 8 wins.

We can't dumb it down any more & stay P5.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it's also fickle fans who pick and choose what, when, and how much they're willing to give. And everyone needs to remember, that when we make contributions to the AA, it doesn't just affect football, it affects ALL sports at Tech .... basketball (men's and women's), baseball, softball, volleyball, tennis, track, and swimming. But by all means, let's rob every sport at Tech just because we don't like a coach in one of them. PATHETIC !!!
I know, it's really sad the day before a game 5 or 6 people on here keep wanting to blame everything on the coach. They don't want to talk football. It's football season I just wish we could talk about the game. After the season then if they want to keep it up fine. If I was a recruit and read some of the stuff on here there is no way I would want to play here and if they don't think that recruits and their parents don't read this think again. ( Makes me think they are not Tech Fans )

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it's also fickle fans who pick and choose what, when, and how much they're willing to give. And everyone needs to remember, that when we make contributions to the AA, it doesn't just affect football, it affects ALL sports at Tech .... basketball (men's and women's), baseball, softball, volleyball, tennis, track, and swimming. But by all means, let's rob every sport at Tech just because we don't like a coach in one of them. PATHETIC !!!

Rob? Not donating isn't robbing. How are you going to act like it's pathetic that fans pick and chose what, when, and how much they are willing to GIVE THEIR OWN MONEY? Sorry, but it is the athletic departments job to convince people that it is worth it to give. And for some, extending a coach who just failed to reach a bowl game for the second time in three years isn't convincing them that their money is well spent in that way. And if that is hurting other programs, then it doesn't fall on the fans who felt they had better ways of spending THEIR own money. That lies on the man responsible for making that decision.

Rob? Not donating isn't robbing. How are you going to act like it's pathetic that fans pick and chose what, when, and how much they are willing to GIVE THEIR OWN MONEY? Sorry, but it is the athletic departments job to convince people that it is worth it to give. And for some, extending a coach who just failed to reach a bowl game for the second time in three years isn't convincing them that their money is well spent in that way. And if that is hurting other programs, then it doesn't fall on the fans who felt they had better ways of spending THEIR own money. That lies on the man responsible for making that decision.
Sorry, I DO think it falls on the fans. They're pretty poor examples of true fans, if you ask me.

Of course. True fans just throw their money at something regardless of whether they think it will be well spent or not.

That's not being a true fan. That's being a stupid one.
Like I said, it's not all about the football team; it's also about basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, tennis, swimming, and golf. I don't consider it stupid at all to give to ALL the efforts of the Tech AA. In fact, I think it's stupid and selfish not to.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, it's not all about the football team; it's also about basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, tennis, swimming, and golf. I don't consider it stupid at all to give to ALL the efforts of the Tech AA. In fact, I think it's stupid and selfish not to.

And if you don't think the money will be used wisely it is stupid. Also selfish? Just because you don't give money to an athletic department for sports? Really?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I DO think it falls on the fans. They're pretty poor examples of true fans, if you ask me.
I’m going to give to football and buy season tix either way, but people can and should be able to choose what to do with their own money no matter what.

I may get bashed for saying this, but I don’t want my money paying for the non-revenue sports, and I’m fact I request that my donations are used specifically for football...and it’s my money that I’m donating, so I feel like I should be able to make that decision...just like many others choose to donate to charities, churches, etc. Why is it fair that someone who donates 10 Million gets to specify what the money is used for, but someone who donates 100 or 1,000 does not?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Selfish? How is giving away your money to something you care about selfish? We have to work very hard to earn money...many of us 60 hours a week...and then we choose to turn around and give it away to something we care about and that’s selfish? We aren’t buying something, but giving money towards a cause that may or may not bring us happiness (actually it will most definitely result in unnecessary stress). I think that makes us true fans.

Honest question for you. If college football and basketball went away would you still donate? Would you spend your weekends watching track, tennis, and swimming?

Selfish? How is giving away your money to something you care about selfish? We have to work very hard to earn money...many of us 60 hours a week...and then we choose to turn around and give it away to something we care about and that’s selfish? We aren’t buying something, but giving money towards a cause that may or may not bring us happiness (actually it will most definitely result in unnecessary stress). I think that makes us true fans.

Honest question for you. If college football and basketball went away would you still donate? Would you spend your weekends watching track, tennis, and swimming?
I have been giving both to athletics and the alumni Roll Call annually since 1967, so as long as I am able, and those outlets exist, yes, I will give. Since they don't televise track, tennis, and swimming, no, I guess I would not be watching them, but I would still be supporting them. But the fact is that neither are going away, and I give unselfishly and with no agenda to support the school and the athletics program that I will love till the day I die, no matter who coaches, and.no matter how many games we win or lose. And, I might add, IMO someone who doesn't contribute has no input whatsoever as to what is done with the money that is given, and their opinions don't mean squat to me, nor should they.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I’m going to give to football and buy season tix either way, but people can and should be able to choose what to do with their own money no matter what.

I may get bashed for saying this, but I don’t want my money paying for the non-revenue sports, and I’m fact I request that my donations are used specifically for football...and it’s my money that I’m donating, so I feel like I should be able to make that decision...just like many others choose to donate to charities, churches, etc. Why is it fair that someone who donates 10 Million gets to specify what the money is used for, but someone who donates 100 or 1,000 does not?

Amen! Honestly do I want to support swimming, tennis, golf? No. Heck no. Those sports take the scraps that the mens basketball and football programs leave over. It's a pecking order. If you want any program to succeed football and basketball must succeed. Yeah, it sucks but you MUST feed the big fish here. Football first simply because 40k people show up to those games. I doubt 1.5k people show up to a swim match.
Then basketball because 7-10k people show up. And so on. Whatever sport is most visible is the one that must be invested into. The other sports wont ever generate the money. Unless michael Phelps went to GT and decided to promise 5million a year for life lol. Even then we would lie to him and put it into the football program! Haha