Prognostication after Virginia Tech

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Based on what I saw from yesterday, not sure how you can predict anything.
NC State score 41 pts on FSU, their QB looks legit ... how did they almost lose to GSouthern ?
Clemson / UNC, 50-35 ... Defense ?
Duke scores only 10 pts ... whers this prolific offense we keep hearing about ?
Pitt loses to a 2-2 Akron ... how does this happen ?
BC whose offense ran all over USC loses to a mediocre Colorado State team ... CSU lost to BSU who got thumped by AF last night
As was stated by others on this site, one game at a time, anything can still happen.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Okay.........if Tech were to have two losses.....which of the other remaining teams would you be least bothered by losing to. :cautious:
I feel this is a trick question as I can't come up with a good answer. :D
All will be bitter pills to swallow....Miami and ugag are the most bitter though.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I thought you would be laying low after last weeks first half comments. Don't you have some shelves to stock?
It grates at you that I am unashamed to change my opinion based on new information. It gnaws at you at a very deep level of your consciousness. You ought to see a doctor about that.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Prior to the end of the Ga Southern game you stated the GT football program "lacks the character to turn momentum and come from behind". It also has problems "deep in the foundation".

Now that you have information to the contrary how has that changed your prognostication?

We win 20% of tossups. I'm confused by your logic.

It has made my outlook on the season marginally better. I started the season thinking 5-7. Now I'm thinking 6-6.

The logic for my breakdown of the tossups was given in the previous post. In general please read my posts before responding to me. (Pet peeve). To repeat: UNC, Pitt, NC State are due to road games, Miami due to its momentum after beating Duke. I favor Tech over Duke.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So Miami momentum from Duke > GT momentum from VT? ...... Lulz
Momentum from the last game will last till the tackle on the kickoff is made...or not made.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It has made my outlook on the season marginally better. I started the season thinking 5-7. Now I'm thinking 6-6.

The logic for my breakdown of the tossups was given in the previous post. In general please read my posts before responding to me. (Pet peeve). To repeat: UNC, Pitt, NC State are due to road games, Miami due to its momentum after beating Duke. I favor Tech over Duke.

I read your post, hence the question. Based on your explanation I suggest reevaluating the definition of "toss-up" if you favor one team over another enough to make a W/L prediction. It's a pet peeve of mine when you reply with a patronizing tone.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Games have been played since last time. That's new information. Pitt doesn't look quite as good, Miami has a little momentum, things like that.

Miami has the advantage because they won their last game? How would you describe the momentum of a team that is 4-0 coming off a last minute win in Blacksburg?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth I re-watched the GT/VT this weekend. I can't offer any insight that Boomer hasn't already offered. It's clear to me we need to get a lot better, not just incrementally better, on D to entertain the idea that we just need to show up to win any game here on out.

Here's what I can confirm - VT is really bad on offense. As in, alarmingly bad compared to what we're going to see the next two weeks (I watched Miami/Duke last night too). VT's penalties, poor execution, and questionable playcalling by VT's OC Loeffler bailed us out at opportune times. Give credit to GT's D for forcing three turnovers, but those alone wouldn't have been enough without VT's self-inflicted ineptitude.

Remember the Patrick Nix school of thought that drove many GT fans crazy? 2nd and 1, the other team's defensive line is wearing thin, and let's get cute by throwing a WR screen that goes for a 5 yard loss and almost goes for a pick 6? Loeffler apparently comes from the same mold. I watched VT allow Western Michigan to hang around yesterday for the same reasons (i.e., odd play selection, players unsure where to line up, etc.).

We are about to face two much more polished offenses. Hopefully the off week allowed sufficient time for film study and scheme/technique correction. Our D has shown it can adjust and improve in-game, so there's enough reason to be optimistic that they'll continue to improve over the course of two weeks. Or at the least that they've solidified a winning gameplan.

The flip side is our upcoming opponent's defenses are not likely as strong as VT's. Miami's will challenge us more than Duke's. I'm not sure how this Saturday is going to play out. But we're 4-0 and our remaining opponents have shown enough to convince me we should be competitive in every game here on out. Hopefully GT's momentum advantage pulls us through ;)

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I read your post, hence the question. Based on your explanation I suggest reevaluating the definition of "toss-up" if you favor one team over another enough to make a W/L prediction. It's a pet peeve of mine when you reply with a patronizing tone.
By toss-up, I mean that the teams are almost evenly matched. But if you're going to make a prediction on the season, you can't very well say that a game is a tie. You have to pick a win or loss on each one. I give a slight edge to the opponent in 4 of those games, and to Tech in one game.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Miami has the advantage because they won their last game? How would you describe the momentum of a team that is 4-0 coming off a last minute win in Blacksburg?
Both teams have momentum. But as a baseline, I think Miami is slightly better. Therefore, I give Miami the edge.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we put it on miami in a bad way and many on this thread will start saying 9-10 wins definitely and the question will be how to beat fsu in the acc.

I have been around teams like this. When a superior talent and leader emerges and its at the qb position it affects BOTH sides of the ball because they believe. We already know this is a fighting gritty team, but after VT it validated everything paul has preached and this team feels like they cant be beat and are playing 60 minutes like it.

The close win vs sourthern woke em up and the adversity at tulane prepared em. This team now knows HOW TO WIN and that is an art and cant be practiced and we havent had that at gt in 5 years.

Again. We put it on miami at home big. Mark it down.
I've never seen a post from you touting in such strong terms the value of intangibles. I'm lovin' it!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
By toss-up, I mean that the teams are almost evenly matched. But if you're going to make a prediction on the season, you can't very well say that a game is a tie. You have to pick a win or loss on each one. I give a slight edge to the opponent in 4 of those games, and to Tech in one game.

Both teams have momentum. But as a baseline, I think Miami is slightly better. Therefore, I give Miami the edge.

Thanks for the explanations. If we are at a slight disadvantage in 4 of those 5 games, which is a matter of opinion that I don't feel strongly about one way or the other, the math still says it's more likely that we come out of those games at least 2-3 for what it's worth.

Ultimately I don't think we are decidedly better or worse than any of our opponents left on the schedule to chalk up a W or L ahead of time, so 4-4 the rest of the way makes mathematical sense. The intangibles of having a playmaker at QB and a team that seems to create it's own luck makes me slightly more optimistic for a 9-win season. Hopefully the wins come in the right spots for us to make it to Charlotte.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Based on what I saw from yesterday, not sure how you can predict anything.
NC State score 41 pts on FSU, their QB looks legit ... how did they almost lose to GSouthern ?
Clemson / UNC, 50-35 ... Defense ?
Duke scores only 10 pts ... whers this prolific offense we keep hearing about ?
Pitt loses to a 2-2 Akron ... how does this happen ?
BC whose offense ran all over USC loses to a mediocre Colorado State team ... CSU lost to BSU who got thumped by AF last night
As was stated by others on this site, one game at a time, anything can still happen.
Parity makes fools out of prognosticators.