What's the problem with our Defense?

• Coaching/Scheme

Votes: 28 28.9%
  • Talent

Votes: 69 71.1%

• Total voters

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. Personally I am tired of seeing former quarterbacks attempting to play defense. The secondary cannot cover and cannot tackle. There is no pressure on the quarterback and the linebackers are too slow. Major overhaul needed but it will take years.

Talent is a huge problem. But scheme is a bigger problem if you try to use a scheme suited to good talent. You have to scheme around what you have.

Right now, I think the defense can be better with the talent we have. Accordingly, the biggest problem now is scheme.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Personally I am tired of seeing former quarterbacks attempting to play defense. The secondary cannot cover and cannot tackle. There is no pressure on the quarterback and the linebackers are too slow. Major overhaul needed but it will take years.

I agree. Too many 6 yard gains are turned into 12 yard gains from poor tackling and the lack of pressure makes it too easy for the short and medium pass completions. We seem to have no extra effort or urgency on third downs.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I chose scheme, but it really is a mix. We have no SDEs on the defense. Our starting WDE is not ready for this level, but I think he'll be good in the long run. Our starting DTs are ok but Gotsis should be our SDE. We just don't have the depth to allow that. Attrition has caused us to lack depth to get high energy from these guys throughout the game. Our LBs are ok, but not as talented as in the past and don't fit our scheme. The DBs are a combination of too young or lacking talent. Milton and Golden are great on special teams, but are terrible in coverage. They are, however, better than their backups. I think there's some coaching issues at DB because they have terrible ball skills and aren't using proper footwork.

This all boils down to not being able to play a patient defense, because we don't have the horses to back it up. I know DJ White gave up the touchdown, but that blitz was the only time I saw a DB in the position to make a play on the pass... That's caused by PRESSURE not sitting 15 yards off waiting for an errant throw.
You first three words are "I chose scheme" then the entire rest of your post is about "not having the horses..." Wha???

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
You first three words are "I chose scheme" then the entire rest of your post is about "not having the horses..." Wha???
You would appear much more intelligent if you had reading comprehension... next words are ", but it really is a mix." and then I lay out that our scheme exposes our talent gap. Don't be a dumbass.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We lost 5 guys who are currently in the NFL (Attaochou, Brandon Watts, Jemea Thomas, Louis Young, and Dieke), we also lost an entire 2 deep on the DL due to suspension, or academics. We've got freshmen littering our defense. Anyone who thought we would be just as good or better than last year's defense, who were not all-world in the first place, I'd like some of what you're doing. We saw signs that our defense is on a cracked foundation the first half of the season, but we made enough plays to win. We couldn't create enough turnovers the last two games or make enough stops. We lost to two teams we should have won.

It's a young team. This is what you get with a young team. We still have a lot to play for, but the margin for error is a lot smaller now. Like I've said in other threads: We can beat anyone, but we can also lose to anyone. No way a team that rolls up 600+ yards and puts up 40+ points should lose. But we did. Time to man up and move on.
That says it all.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Tonight it was a mix but I thought scheme won out for leading culprit. UNC was more than willing to let us play bend but don't break. They were OK with taking yards in 8-10 yard chunks.
Now, talent is also a huge issue right now. I thought the secondary was going to be an asset this year. Instead, it's turning out to be a liability. That needs to be addressed quickly. They need to be coached up a lot,lot better.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tonight it was a mix but I thought scheme won out for leading culprit. UNC was more than willing to let us play bend but don't break. They were OK with taking yards in 8-10 yard chunks.
Now, talent is also a huge issue right now. I thought the secondary was going to be an asset this year. Instead, it's turning out to be a liability. That needs to be addressed quickly. They need to be coached up a lot,lot better.
Maybe we should just man up like sand lot football and everybody w/o a receiver to cover blitzes every down.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we should just man up like sand lot football and everybody w/o a receiver to cover blitzes every down.

No, what we need to do is coach our DBs to find the football and if they can't get it, rip the arms or something so the other team doesn't get a TD on a jump ball on fourth and 6. Even we blitzed tonight we got very, very little out of it. Usually, our blitzes have some effect but they didn't have any tonight.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Completely speculative post. Please ignore if that's not your thing.

I think the real problem with our D is PJ. I think he is a proponent of the "bend but don't break" D. As a result he sets that as the over arching theme for D. I remember a play towards the end of the game, a couple of games ago where he changed an aggressive D call to a "bend but don't break" call. Maybe he just doesn't give the D coordinators enough freedom to do their thing. My feeling is that 3 well respected D coordinators can't all suck. It has to be something that the HC is doing.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

I think the real problem with our D is PJ. I think he is a proponent of the "bend but don't break" D. As a result he sets that as the over arching theme for D. I remember a play towards the end of the game, a couple of games ago where he changed an aggressive D call to a "bend but don't break" call. Maybe he just doesn't give the D coordinators enough freedom to do their thing. My feeling is that 3 well respected D coordinators can't all suck. It has to be something that the HC is doing.

I wonder about this as well, all speculative but who knows.

ladyfreeman77

Georgia Tech Fan
When are you all going to look at the big picture? You talk about who has talent or does not have talent, but what about the heart, the drive, the compassion for the game. The former guys that people are still talking about have moved on and you wont give the young guys a chance to get in there and learn. Remember, those guys who've moved on (and you're still talking about them) were once young as well. They got it so give these guys a chance to get it. You see them once a week on a field but have you taken the time to learn about them as people before you decide who has talent or not. They came to learn and contribute to the team, so at least give them a chance before you count them out. And you're the fans?

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
When are you all going to look at the big picture? You talk about who has talent or does not have talent, but what about the heart, the drive, the compassion for the game. The former guys that people are still talking about have moved on and you wont give the young guys a chance to get in there and learn. Remember, those guys who've moved on (and you're still talking about them) were once young as well. They got it so give these guys a chance to get it. You see them once a week on a field but have you taken the time to learn about them as people before you decide who has talent or not. They came to learn and contribute to the team, so at least give them a chance before you count them out. And you're the fans?
I second this, at least up to a point.

Remember, some players and 'croots read this board. It's not fair to them if we sound like we're confusing talent with heart, effort, and commitment. I personally don't think ANY of our guys EVER doesn't try their hardest. Screw up? Sure. We all have, too. Just because they're not all 5-stars to start doesn't mean their hard work doesn't count for anything, because I believe they're all working, and trying, as hard as they can.

For those who chose "scheme" in the original poll -- with the talent we have right now and that committed for 2015 (assuming all sign) -- how would you change the scheme? Not sarcastic -- I'd really like to hear your thoughts on how we might do things differently to better utilize the talent we have.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Remember, some players and 'croots read this board. It's not fair to them if we sound like we're confusing talent with heart, effort, and commitment. I personally don't think ANY of our guys EVER doesn't try their hardest. Screw up? Sure. We all have, too. Just because they're not all 5-stars to start doesn't mean their hard work doesn't count for anything, because I believe they're all working, and trying, as hard as they can.

For those who chose "scheme" in the original poll -- with the talent we have right now and that committed for 2015 (assuming all sign) -- how would you change the scheme? Not sarcastic -- I'd really like to hear your thoughts on how we might do things differently to better utilize the talent we have.

Agree with this.

I love all of our guys in that regrad...at the end of the day we are all Yellow Jackets and I wish nothing but the best for these guys and am glad they all chose to come to school here...I hope people don't think just because us fans critique them on the football fan has anything to do with how much we respect them and admire what they do off of the football field....We do it in love :)

Our SA's are truly special people...you won't convince me otherwise. I have learned this covering recruiting....the first time I talk to a recruit I can usually just get the vibe if he is 'Tech guy" or not....It's crazy.

Even if we lose on the football field a Tech Man (Or Woman) wins in life everyday

GTech63

Helluva Engineer

When they are scoring every time they get the ball I would cut the 8 yard cushion to 4 or 5, I would have CB gamble for interception. They are scoring every time they get the ball anyway. Jam their best receivers at the line. Make them work to get loose.

GTFLETCH

Banned
why are the Austin twins not playing. It is apparent that the nickle back needs to be an Austin as teh others are not very good at tackling. If we can tackle in space against UNC. We may win. It seems that Austins are teh only ones that can tackle in space.

Also burn Step Durham Redshirt and allow him in the mix, it can not be anyworse then what DJ White and Chris Milton yesterday.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Definitely both. We certainly don't have the talent to be a top 50 defense, but there's no way we should be in the bottom 20 in the country. There's no way teams like Troy, Miami (OH), Kent St, etc have better talent than us. The scheme HAS to change and we HAVE to bring more pressure. If we're gonna get beat that way then that's fine with me because they're already scoring every possession anyway. The only way this defense is gonna make an impact on the game is if we force turnovers. In the Miami and VT games we forced 5 turnovers. In the Duke and UNC game we forced 1 turnover. Our only chance is to get more aggressive, take more risks, and try to make plays happen instead of letting teams do whatever they want. It's embarrassing that we're basically telling opponents we can't stop you so we're just going to let you make short plays.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Yes. Running a system that is an easy target for opposing teams to neg recruit against. Bottomline.