What's the problem with our Defense?

• Coaching/Scheme

Votes: 28 28.9%
  • Talent

Votes: 69 71.1%

• Total voters

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
Tonight it was purely play calling. How many times did we send more than four on a down that made any sense?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
talent is not great. scheme exposes our lack of talent more...its not a scheme conducive to bad front 4s and marginal players. Its a scheme that needs top notch guys moreso than say JT's scheme or even Bud Fosters to degree to be honest.

need a scheme that is an aggressive gap scheme; that can make up for some front 4 issues, albeit you risk things too....like tenuta's d...but its good most of the time....with this O it should be good all the time

for me its both. but UNC game was alot more scheme to me....man some things we did was like huh?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
A little of both. Our front 4 aren't talented enough to create any kind of push themselves and our DC is not bright enough to scheme around that deficiency.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It's mostly Jimmies and Joes 0n the DL, and particularly at DE. DT we need more depth and are undersized. Safety has also been remarkably soft.

I was very vocal before the season started that our defense was going to suck and people were going to be after Roof. Recruiting and attrition are the problem.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Tonight it was purely play calling. How many times did we send more than four on a down that made any sense?

I agree with you... we are going to have to do some creative things to bring pressure. We are not talented and deep enough to get pressure with d front (yet).

Tenuda realized this and took a lot of chances for the opportunity to make a big play and possibly change a game.

Thought PJ coached a great game.... agreed with the on sides and both 2pt tries... all were appropriate in the situation. Obviously sliced and diced their defense to shreds.
Certainly have no complaints with the effort of our defensive players...

We will win more games this year and will win even more next year...

Thank you team for never quitting.... I won't quit you either.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, the coaches are responsible for the talent, but Roof has only had 2 years to get the talent here. So far, next year is looking better than previous years, but we are still a long way away from making this D a top 35 D, which is all we need. I just don't know how we can overcome the recruiting handicap that exists with PJ's system....and don't give me the crap about how his system doesn't affect the D...maybe it shouldn't, but it does....and of course, recruiting at GT is very difficult anyway...

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I chose scheme, but it really is a mix. We have no SDEs on the defense. Our starting WDE is not ready for this level, but I think he'll be good in the long run. Our starting DTs are ok but Gotsis should be our SDE. We just don't have the depth to allow that. Attrition has caused us to lack depth to get high energy from these guys throughout the game. Our LBs are ok, but not as talented as in the past and don't fit our scheme. The DBs are a combination of too young or lacking talent. Milton and Golden are great on special teams, but are terrible in coverage. They are, however, better than their backups. I think there's some coaching issues at DB because they have terrible ball skills and aren't using proper footwork.

This all boils down to not being able to play a patient defense, because we don't have the horses to back it up. I know DJ White gave up the touchdown, but that blitz was the only time I saw a DB in the position to make a play on the pass... That's caused by PRESSURE not sitting 15 yards off waiting for an errant throw.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I chose scheme, but it really is a mix. We have no SDEs on the defense. Our starting WDE is not ready for this level, but I think he'll be good in the long run. Our starting DTs are ok but Gotsis should be our SDE. We just don't have the depth to allow that. Attrition has caused us to lack depth to get high energy from these guys throughout the game. Our LBs are ok, but not as talented as in the past and don't fit our scheme. The DBs are a combination of too young or lacking talent. Milton and Golden are great on special teams, but are terrible in coverage. They are, however, better than their backups. I think there's some coaching issues at DB because they have terrible ball skills and aren't using proper footwork.

This all boils down to not being able to play a patient defense, because we don't have the horses to back it up. I know DJ White gave up the touchdown, but that blitz was the only time I saw a DB in the position to make a play on the pass... That's caused by PRESSURE not sitting 15 yards off waiting for an errant throw.

Really hit the nail on the head. Agree with all of this.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
We have guys there. It isn't scheme. We have one of the least talented front 7s in the ACC. Charmin style. Let's try again next year with JHD and Whitehead. We were living on borrowed time on D/ You have to make plays at some point. Waiting for them to f up a screen or dig is a recipe for failure.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We lost 5 guys who are currently in the NFL (Attaochou, Brandon Watts, Jemea Thomas, Louis Young, and Dieke), we also lost an entire 2 deep on the DL due to suspension, or academics. We've got freshmen littering our defense. Anyone who thought we would be just as good or better than last year's defense, who were not all-world in the first place, I'd like some of what you're doing. We saw signs that our defense is on a cracked foundation the first half of the season, but we made enough plays to win. We couldn't create enough turnovers the last two games or make enough stops. We lost to two teams we should have won.

It's a young team. This is what you get with a young team. We still have a lot to play for, but the margin for error is a lot smaller now. Like I've said in other threads: We can beat anyone, but we can also lose to anyone. No way a team that rolls up 600+ yards and puts up 40+ points should lose. But we did. Time to man up and move on.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
We don't have the talent this year. So why make your decent DBs try to cover for 6 minutes while your front 4 make no progress? Throw 6-7 at them every play and hope the other team makes a mistake. That's all you can do.
Agreed. Its better to burn out than fade away.