Pro Style I Formation Has Been Figured Out

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Vandy's defensive performance against UGa today demonstrates that the pro style offense UGa runs has totally old school, and has been completely figured out. Kids don't want to play in that offense anymore, they want to play in the high speed, no huddle, spread formations like Oregon and Auburn run. UGa will never be able to recruit top flight players and will be mired in the depths of the SEC East along with Vandy and Kentucky....
<end TIC>

Seriously, it did remind me a lot of what we got often under Gailey and Patrick Nix, except UGa passed better. It also made me think hard again about the criticism of our offense, which has generally done well enough to win most of our games. UNC scores 20 vs Miami (we score 21). They win, we lose. We score 34 vs Pitt and lose. We actually don't have much of a problem in offense.....compared to other folks. Defense, however.......

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you read their box score and didn't look at the final score, you would think UGA won 30-6. Obviously, a lot of things had to go right for the 'dores. I sure am glad they did though! The numbers were soooooo lop sided and TOs didn't play a factor. VANDY stopped the run and forced the frosh to beat them. He passed for a ton of yards, but obviously not the important ones.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If you read their box score and didn't look at the final score, you would think UGA won 30-6. Obviously, a lot of things had to go right for the 'dores. I sure am glad they did though! The numbers were soooooo lop sided and TOs didn't play a factor. VANDY stopped the run and forced the frosh to beat them. He passed for a ton of yards, but obviously not the important ones.

I had just finished watching the replay, and it just so reminded me of our offensive frustrations under Gailey/Nix. They just found ways to not score and lose the game, in spite of nice stats.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I had just finished watching the replay, and it just so reminded me of our offensive frustrations under Gailey/Nix. They just found ways to not score and lose the game, in spite of nice stats.
Agree with this so much.

As frustrated as I get sometimes with our current offense it pales in comparison to how many broken TV screens I barely avoided while watching the offenses of Gailey/Nix. Our current offense, if it is moving, rarely fails to cash in, and CPJ has been pretty good in the red zone his entire time at Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seriously, it did remind me a lot of what we got often under Gailey and Patrick Nix, except UGa passed better. It also made me think hard again about the criticism of our offense, which has generally done well enough to win most of our games. UNC scores 20 vs Miami (we score 21). They win, we lose. We score 34 vs Pitt and lose. We actually don't have much of a problem in offense.....compared to other folks. Defense, however.......

I will never get Gailey and why he didn't coach GT like he with the offenses he coached in the NFL. Did you know Gailey was the first coach to implement the Pistol in the NFL? Did it as the OC with the KC Chiefs. One of the first to put spread passing concepts into NFL offenses. One of the first to really utilize athletic QBs, not just on runs, but really make them a weapon (Kordell Stewart). He's one of the few coaches to actually utilize college concepts and apply them to the pros.

Would have been fun to see what he would have done with all that talent he was accumlating towards the end, but you gotta beat UGA at least once if you want to stick around here.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I will never get Gailey and why he didn't coach GT like he with the offenses he coached in the NFL. Did you know Gailey was the first coach to implement the Pistol in the NFL? Did it as the OC with the KC Chiefs. One of the first to put spread passing concepts into NFL offenses. One of the first to really utilize athletic QBs, not just on runs, but really make them a weapon (Kordell Stewart). He's one of the few coaches to actually utilize college concepts and apply them to the pros.

Would have been fun to see what he would have done with all that talent he was accumlating towards the end, but you gotta beat UGA at least once if you want to stick around here.
His offense could put up points against lesser competition. It just got real bad against good D's, Georgia, and any Bowl game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
His offense could put up points against lesser competition. It just got real bad against good D's, Georgia, and any Bowl game.

Well, we did upset Auburn twice, beat Miami, beat Notre Dame. The guy won at least 7 games every year. I think he was just risk averse at GT. Did just enough to win, but sometimes he also did just enough to lose.

I don't think he ever understood that the margin of error on this level is higher than in the NFL. He could try more and do more and it may backfire, but it probably would have paid off more times than not. It's not like we had bad players (Calvin Johnson!!! Tashard Choice!!!). He just coached like the NFL coaches...coached not to lose as opposed to coaching to win.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After I saw the stat sheet for the game, it occurred to me that this was the issue of the weakness of a pass only offense. When you get in close, you really need to be able to run the ball some to get seven points instead of three. It looked to me that without a solid run game, they had to settle for field goals too often.

I guess I'll tack this on too. One thing about Richt that I think the Dog fans overlooked was his teams almost always found a way to win these kind of games. His teams could have flat days like everyone and they were quite capable of playing to the level of a weaker opponent. But many, many times I would be following a close game between Podunk and UGA only to be disappointed in the end. I doubt the Dog fans even noticed. In their minds, they were outraged that Georgia wasn't dominating a weak opponent. After a few more of these from Kirby, they might think again about how often Richt coached teams pulled these games out.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
After I saw the stat sheet for the game, it occurred to me that this was the issue of the weakness of a pass only offense. When you get in close, you really need to be able to run the ball some to get seven points instead of three. It looked to me that without a solid run game, they had to settle for field goals too often.

I guess I'll tack this on too. One thing about Richt that I think the Dog fans overlooked was his teams almost always found a way to win these kind of games. His teams could have flat days like everyone and they were quite capable of playing to the level of a weaker opponent. But many, many times I would be following a close game between Podunk and UGA only to be disappointed in the end. I doubt the Dog fans even noticed. In their minds, they were outraged that Georgia wasn't dominating a weak opponent. After a few more of these from Kirby, they might think again about how often Richt coached teams pulled these games out.

This. I am SO so hoping Georgia fans regret firing Richt forever.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Our offense looks a lot better when we throw the ball in non obvious passing situations. It's almost impossible to stop if: 1) We have a QB who can throw 2) give the QB time to throw 3) have receivers who can catch.

Maybe CPJ sees this and will work on passing more. Most of the time someone is pretty open. I wonder what our offense would look like if we focused more on route running and timing throws.