Pressley Harvin Quote From ESPN

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

Hope he works on his passing skills if we try fake punts this year. Wasn't too swift last year.

Well it’s hard to hit someone when the defense holds the receiver. I still don’t understand the refs statement on that play that there cannot be a pass interference on a fake punt..

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Well it’s hard to hit someone when the defense holds the receiver. I still don’t understand the refs statement on that play that there cannot be a pass interference on a fake punt..

Yup, whether he meant it or not, that ref gave free rein for the outside coverage guys to just maul a blocker/potential receiver coming off the line on a punt. It’s one of the more nonsensical reasons I’ve heard for a call not being made. Did the league ever issue a statement on whether he was correct in his interpretation? Seems like that is something that needs a whole lot more clarity.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Yup, whether he meant it or not, that ref gave free rein for the outside coverage guys to just maul a blocker/potential receiver coming off the line on a punt. It’s one of the more nonsensical reasons I’ve heard for a call not being made. Did the league ever issue a statement on whether he was correct in his interpretation? Seems like that is something that needs a whole lot more clarity.

It's absolutely the correct call. I remember watching an NFL game with a friend the week before and his team getting screwed by the rule and thought to myself, "huh, I wonder how that will haunt GT."

Here's an explanation. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2111506-6-most-obscure-college-football-rules#slide5
I've heard the justification it is to allow blocking of the gunners. Since they would normally be eligible receivers, you couldn't impede their downfield motion the way you commonly do during a punt play.

Deleted member 2897

It's absolutely the correct call. I remember watching an NFL game with a friend the week before and his team getting screwed by the rule and thought to myself, "huh, I wonder how that will haunt GT."

Here's an explanation. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2111506-6-most-obscure-college-football-rules#slide5
I've heard the justification it is to allow blocking of the gunners. Since they would normally be eligible receivers, you couldn't impede their downfield motion the way you commonly do during a punt play.

My beef was that he wasn’t blocking him as if he were a gunner, he was holding him, which I thought was illegal either way.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My beef was that he wasn’t blocking him as if he were a gunner, he was holding him, which I thought was illegal either way.
Haven't the rules on holding been relaxed as well? Something like you can do it as long as your arms stay within your shoulders....in other words, you can't reach out and grab a guy but if he is in your grill you can now legally hold him. Or am I mistaken?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
after kick off the bend and break made kicking off a waste of time. First we didn't get a chance to recover the onside kick. With the bend but don't break of the recent past the other team is given easy dump passes till they are near field goal range.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow

So it's not pass interference but it's still defensive holding correct?