Preseason Depth Chart Thoughts

rhino gold

Georgia Tech Fan
EXACTLY !!! The only thing we have proven over the last 2 years is that we are unproven. We have not shown consistency in improvement in any part of our team, IMO. Flashes, yes, 2-3 games in row, no. We have LOADS (sic) of potential and apparently so much scary talent and depth that other teams should fear playing us ( our DEs ?). We may very well have that kind of team, but at this point, I would NOT call it FACT. I would call it HOPE. I also have TONS of Hope, but I need to see results.....and next year.
Agreed alagold,
but IF no results over 3 wins, there will be no consistency in improvement.
Thus, three years (albeit one with COVID restrictions), will CC make it to 7 years??
I'd like to HOPE so, but alas, no FACT!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
II just re-read much of this thread. It's really sad. Much of our fanbase simply doesn't understand how little talent, how little depth, and how little experience at what we are trying to do was here in 2019. Stated otherwise, many folks don't understand P5 football generally or the state of this program specifically at the beginning of the 2019 season, or they just want to complain.

As I have stated before, look at the difference between Curry's third year and Ross' third year as compared to their first two years. It takes three years to change a culture and install offenses and defenses--and the change was a major change.

Listen to Patenaude's press conference from two days ago. He is giddy about having a QB with a year's experience in his system. He hasn't had that the last two years--but it hasn't stopped the criticism from ye who don't know football. He also will have an offensive line that is light years ahead of what he had 2 years ago, and a RB room that's as good as anyone's. In Thacker's press conference of yesterday he said that after 2 days of practice this offense is "exponentially better." He pointed out that it's better for the defense to practice against a better offense.

Thacker was much more subdued than Patenaude. But he did point out the improvement in talent at DE, and he is impressed with Eley's experience and athleticism at LB. He did not talk about DB's but Collins coaches those guys. We are young there, but we have talent. We don't have Clemson, ND or UGA talent on D, but it is much better than it was 2 years ago.

We are still a young football team with lots of transfers. Go to 247 and look at the scholarship distribution. It will take some time for this team to gel, but this year could be similar to 1988--although the schedule is tougher.

We have 14 HS 4 stars. Collins brought in 12 of them. If you can't see the talent improvement--or the necessity of recruiting at a higher level than prior years--then you just want to criticize the staff. And that is all many of you want to do.

The criticism of this staff in this thread is unfair, either due to personal agendas or ignorance of football generally or the Tech program specifically. And no, this isn't a great staff, but if you want a great staff then go check out the staff salaries at Clemson and put your money where you mouth is (or fingers are). But you will see an improved product on the field this year. No question about that.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You know these boards are an outlet for fans to discuss their views on the topic. Not everyone is an optimist and not everyone is a pessimist. My experience is the critics are usually more vocal than the proponents, therefore the impression is that the negative out weighs the positive. Oftentimes, that is not the reality but rather the illusion of how things are. I think for the most part we actually have knowledgeable fans here at Georgia Tech. Like any other community, we have varying degrees of knowledge and at the end of the day, we are all entitled to our opinion, even when cancel culture would have you think otherwise.

Personally, I always support the coaches and the team regardless of the record. I think each Coach should be judged on their ability to develop and maintain a winning program. So far Coach Collins has struggled to show the kind of progress I had hoped to see by now and as a result, I am left to wonder if he actually can and will do that. I certainly hope with all my heart that he can and does, but based on what he has accomplished so far, I am left to wonder. In any event, hope springs eternal and I will ride with the Yellow Jackets come what may.

Go Jackets!

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
You know these boards are an outlet for fans to discuss their views on the topic. Not everyone is an optimist and not everyone is a pessimist. My experience is the critics are usually more vocal than the proponents, therefore the impression is that the negative out weighs the positive. Oftentimes, that is not the reality but rather the illusion of how things are. I think for the most part we actually have knowledgeable fans here at Georgia Tech. Like any other community, we have varying degrees of knowledge and at the end of the day, we are all entitled to our opinion, even when cancel culture would have you think otherwise.

Personally, I always support the coaches and the team regardless of the record. I think each Coach should be judged on their ability to develop and maintain a winning program. So far Coach Collins has struggled to show the kind of progress I had hoped to see by now and as a result, I am left to wonder if he actually can and will do that. I certainly hope with all my heart that he can and does, but based on what he has accomplished so far, I am left to wonder. In any event, hope springs eternal and I will ride with the Yellow Jackets come what may.

Go Jackets!
Year 1. OK
Year 2. Covid year shortened season. Players not being available. No off season.
Your expectations were?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
II just re-read much of this thread. It's really sad. Much of our fanbase simply doesn't understand how little talent, how little depth, and how little experience at what we are trying to do was here in 2019. Stated otherwise, many folks don't understand P5 football generally or the state of this program specifically at the beginning of the 2019 season, or they just want to complain.

As I have stated before, look at the difference between Curry's third year and Ross' third year as compared to their first two years. It takes three years to change a culture and install offenses and defenses--and the change was a major change.

Listen to Patenaude's press conference from two days ago. He is giddy about having a QB with a year's experience in his system. He hasn't had that the last two years--but it hasn't stopped the criticism from ye who don't know football. He also will have an offensive line that is light years ahead of what he had 2 years ago, and a RB room that's as good as anyone's. In Thacker's press conference of yesterday he said that after 2 days of practice this offense is "exponentially better." He pointed out that it's better for the defense to practice against a better offense.

Thacker was much more subdued than Patenaude. But he did point out the improvement in talent at DE, and he is impressed with Eley's experience and athleticism at LB. He did not talk about DB's but Collins coaches those guys. We are young there, but we have talent. We don't have Clemson, ND or UGA talent on D, but it is much better than it was 2 years ago.

We are still a young football team with lots of transfers. Go to 247 and look at the scholarship distribution. It will take some time for this team to gel, but this year could be similar to 1988--although the schedule is tougher.

We have 14 HS 4 stars. Collins brought in 12 of them. If you can't see the talent improvement--or the necessity of recruiting at a higher level than prior years--then you just want to criticize the staff. And that is all many of you want to do.

The criticism of this staff in this thread is unfair, either due to personal agendas or ignorance of football generally or the Tech program specifically. And no, this isn't a great staff, but if you want a great staff then go check out the staff salaries at Clemson and put your money where you mouth is (or fingers are). But you will see an improved product on the field this year. No question about that.
Sorry, if you want a coaching staff to stop receiving heat then they are going to have to start winning games. No amount of message board crying and telling people how stupid they are is going to change that. If it bothers you then maybe find something else to do until Collins gets things turned around. Bumping 2 week old threads to rehash the same nonsense seems like a waste of time.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Year 1. OK
Year 2. Covid year shortened season. Players not being available. No off season.
Your expectations were?
Higher than 3 wins a season. Higher than losing to opponents like the Citadel. Higher than giving up 70 plus points on our home field. Higher than seeing the unforced errors continue. Just answering your question.

Go Jackets!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Tech fans are nothing compared to Miami or Florida boards which are really the only two I am faintly familiar with besides this one. They will rip a coach to shreds like a crazed school of piranha. That said, your observation on critics is true. Sadly, I am guilty of it myself but every spring...hope springs eternal.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, if you want a coaching staff to stop receiving heat then they are going to have to start winning games. No amount of message board crying and telling people how stupid they are is going to change that. If it bothers you then maybe find something else to do until Collins gets things turned around. Bumping 2 week old threads to rehash the same nonsense seems like a waste of time.
Good! Show me this fall...I'm gullible.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Or realize the crap he inherited, the schedule he's played, going through a pandemic and show a little patience and support.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Or realize the crap he inherited, the schedule he's played, going through a pandemic and show a little patience and support.
That view is perfectly valid and you are entitled to it but expecting all fans to share the same view simply isn't realistic. We just had back to back 3 win seasons, we lost one game by over 60, we got beat by double digits by a team that didn't beat anyone else, and we were nearly the worst team in the country this year in penalties and in turnovers. That is going to get you some grumpy fans. There is only one way around it. Play better and win.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Want more patience and support? Win more games. Three wins a season will not get it done. Sure the schedule is challenging but Dodd annually faced Alabama, Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, LSU, and Florida every year and they, with the exception of the Gators, were every bit as formidable then as they are now. Coach Collins knows he has to put a better team, a much better team, on the field starting this year. IIWII

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Want more patience and support? Win more games. Three wins a season will not get it done. Sure the schedule is challenging but Dodd annually faced Alabama, Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, LSU, and Florida every year and they, with the exception of the Gators, were every bit as formidable then as they are now. Coach Collins knows he has to put a better team, a much better team, on the field starting this year. IIWII
I agree we need significantly more than 3 wins. But to compare it to Dodd is way unfair. GT was part of the SEC during the Dodd years (and oh by the way he is the one that walked away from the SEC), black athletes were non-existent in the South for Division 1 schools (historical black colleges were loaded with NFL talent), the Falcons didn't exist so there was no pro football competition in Atlanta for fan support. All of those things made GT the equal or ahead of UGA at that time.

Now flash forward. We are in the ACC, not the SEC. The schedule in 2020 and 2021 has Georgia (Top 5), Clemson (Top 5) and Notre Dame (at least Top 10). Regardless of the coaches we have had in the last 50 years, none of them would have fared well against the talents of those three teams. So now you are talking about picking up 6 wins out of 9 games to get to a bowl. It is doable for sure but will need a lot of things to go right. Like everyone else on this board, I want to get to the day where we can compete effectively against Top 10 teams and spring the occasional upset.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree we need significantly more than 3 wins. But to compare it to Dodd is way unfair. GT was part of the SEC during the Dodd years (and oh by the way he is the one that walked away from the SEC), black athletes were non-existent in the South for Division 1 schools (historical black colleges were loaded with NFL talent), the Falcons didn't exist so there was no pro football competition in Atlanta for fan support. All of those things made GT the equal or ahead of UGA at that time.

Now flash forward. We are in the ACC, not the SEC. The schedule in 2020 and 2021 has Georgia (Top 5), Clemson (Top 5) and Notre Dame (at least Top 10). Regardless of the coaches we have had in the last 50 years, none of them would have fared well against the talents of those three teams. So now you are talking about picking up 6 wins out of 9 games to get to a bowl. It is doable for sure but will need a lot of things to go right. Like everyone else on this board, I want to get to the day where we can compete effectively against Top 10 teams and spring the occasional upset.
Dodd would have fared well against that level of competition but he could recruit and he could coach on the day of the game. Collins has a long way to go before he approaches that level. You are incorrect in stating Tech was ahead of UGA in talent. They had talent but then, as now, it was largely wasted. I know he "walked away" from the SEC and his reasoning was, at the time, pretty sound. We could no longer recruit with the state schools like UGA, Alabama, LSU, etc. Coach Collins needs more time and he will be given more time but it would be in his best interests to focus more on winning games and less on culture and the like.

slugboy

Staff member
Hey, since we’ve had practice for over a week, including a Saturday open practice, any thoughts on who might play where?

Was Eley at Mike or Will?
Aside from it being just shells, anything interesting stand out about any players at any positions?

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Hey, since we’ve had practice for over a week, including a Saturday open practice, any thoughts on who might play where?

Was Eley at Mike or Will?
Aside from it being just shells, anything interesting stand out about any players at any positions?
We can’t even decide what uniforms to wear...and you’re asking about football???? Where do you get off?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

And up until 1957, we didn't have calculus to contend with.