Preseason Depth Chart Thoughts

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
We really need to win 4 of the first 6 since the back half of the schedule is more difficult (especially with ND and GA back to back at the end). To get to 6 and 6 we need to beat UNI and Kennesaw St (which scares me to death when we couldn't stop the Citadel spread offense though we should be better on defense now than then). Also need to be Duke at their house. Lost to Clemson and split with UNC and Pittsburgh. The wins in the second half are tougher to predict. We seem to struggle at VA and got beat by Boston College last year at their place. The remainder are VT, @Miami, @Notre Dame and Georgia. All will be tough.

If we are smart, we incorperate him as a blocker in some 2 back sets (personally would love to see us use the stacked I pistol for some power run stuff to get a big guy (BJS or Mason) in front of gibbs.
Yea, I would love to see variations on the offense incorporating old Veer concepts....but don't hold your breath. We will run what we ran last year. shotgun Spread aka Texas High school Football,

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yea, I would love to see variations on the offense incorporating old Veer concepts....but don't hold your breath. We will run what we ran last year. shotgun Spread aka Texas High school Football,

Apparently, we have moved then from a plain "high school" offense to a "Texas high school offense?" Defensively, I think we have been playing a "Catholic private girls school" defense for the last 15 years. I would be happy with an upgrade to a "Texas high school defense" at minimum this year! ;)

I’m not sure why very few others see this and keep predicting 3-4 wins. We got some more key transfers in. No reason why we shouldn’t win 6 or 7.
Yes, defensively we should field a strong group, but can they sustain 15-18 offensive possessions because our offense is not that great and our scheme will cause many 3 and outs. And don't forget, we no longer have the weapon at punter.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yes, defensively we should field a strong group, but can they sustain 15-18 offensive possessions because our offense is not that great and our scheme will cause many 3 and outs. And don't forget, we no longer have the weapon at punter.
We have the talent at offensive line, a superior OL coach, a 4 star QB with 10 starts under his belt, a future Heisman candidate RB and another that’s all-ACC and other top notch RBs that can’t even sniff out any carries, plus an exceptional RB coach, then there’s tons of excellent WR talent. If we’re a 3 & out machine next year then we know EXACTLY where our problem lies.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Kennesaw St (which scares me to death when we couldn't stop the Citadel spread offense though we should be better on defense now than then).
Me too. What I'm afraid of is that we will be "better" on D. The Master of Mayhem is very fond of "flowing to the ball" and "getting up field" and "sowing chaos" (stops behind the line, I think). As you may recall, Paul's teams had a tendency to eat such opponents up. Everything that the spread option is designed to exploit is right there.

But, of course, the D coaches and Collins know that. I expect there will be a lot of time taken this spring to unlearn the D tendencies we normally follow. We'll have to see what wins out: coaching or muscle memory.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Me too. What I'm afraid of is that we will be "better" on D. The Master of Mayhem is very fond of "flowing to the ball" and "getting up field" and "sowing chaos" (stops behind the line, I think). As you may recall, Paul's teams had a tendency to eat such opponents up. Everything that the spread option is designed to exploit is right there.

But, of course, the D coaches and Collins know that. I expect there will be a lot of time taken this spring to unlearn the D tendencies we normally follow. We'll have to see what wins out: coaching or muscle memory.
I don't remember where I read it, but back against citadel they tried to scheme an alignment where it was illegal block the corner backs. Not a football genius, but think that ended up back firing when they got the ball to the perimeter.

With that said...the biggest reason for the loss to the citadel wasn't that they scored 21, but that we didn't score 60. That better not be a problem this fall.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure why very few others see this and keep predicting 3-4 wins. We got some more key transfers in. No reason why we shouldn’t win 6 or 7.

Here are reasons in order-- 1. unproven defense even with more talent 2. terrible penalties record 3. unproven Off line even with more talent 4. unproven kicking game esp with Harvin gone 4. injury threat ESP to GIbbs or Sims
6 is possible but not likely unless a LOT of things improve

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here are reasons in order-- 1. unproven defense even with more talent 2. terrible penalties record 3. unproven Off line even with more talent 4. unproven kicking game esp with Harvin gone 4. injury threat ESP to GIbbs or Sims
I would gladly eat crow but after two years of three wins, I am sticking with my preseason prediction of 4 wins.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Um, wouldn't play that coaching card just yet, we have a staff of many unproven coaches including our head coach. And if we gauge from the last two years, I would say coaching is a liability.
So far the data indicates you are correct. With the offensive weapons we have along with a true dual threat QB we should be like most teams and can score a lot. But, with Patenaude and his vanilla Texas high school offense I’m scared to death. I’ve said many times that this season is all about our coaches. We’ve spent two seasons buying the groceries, now it’s time to see if the chef’s have a clue. I’m rooting for our coaches as Collins and Patenaude have worked to be in this position for years. I hope they succeed. And I really hope has watched what other teams run with a varied approach. Because the simple shotgun snap 8 yards behind the line and then hope Gibbs or Sims can make magic isn’t a legit plan.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Experience and depth on the OL is a big deal and this year we'll have more of it.

Kenneth Kirby and Devin Cochran have played a ton of football and have been good enough to be legit pro prospects. Kenny Cooper has played a bunch of football. Ryan Johnson has played a bunch. Minihan was playing well last year prior to getting hurt. Jordan Williams played a lot as a tr-fr and is clearly a physical talent who will only get better. Quinney has played a bunch. That's seven guys with a bunch of experience plus Pendley who played in 6 games for Miss St.

Pushing them will be some younger guys like Rankins, A. Smith, Vaipulu, Maye, Kootsouradis, Spiers, & Green. If 1 or 2 of these guys emerge as viable back ups that would further bolster our depth. So feeling the line will take a step up next year, particularly in pass pro.

54Jordan WilliamsOL6-6330FreshmanGainesville, Ga.Gainesville HS
55Kenny CooperOL6-3325RS SeniorCalhoun, Ga.Sonoraville HS
57Mikey MinihanOL6-3307RS JuniorHonolulu, Hawai'iSaint Louis School
58Will ScissumOL6-2290RS FreshmanMarietta, Ga.The Walker School
60Paula VaipuluOL6-3305FreshmanChannelview, TexasChannelview HS
61Michael MayeOL6-3320RS SophomoreHoover, Ala.Hoover HS
62Cade KootsouradisOL6-4295FreshmanCrestview, Fla.Crestview HS
63Scotty FulghamOL6-3303RS FreshmanTuscaloosa, Ala.Tuscaloosa Academy
64Will MilamOL6-4315FreshmanPowder Springs, Ga.Hiram HS
65Austin SmithOL6-3310RS SophomoreMcDonough, Ga.Ola HS
68Jason MooreOL6-2290FreshmanHampton, Ga.Dutchtown HS
69Matthew MorganOL6-4305RS SophomoreWoodstock, Ga.Etowah HS
70Ryan JohnsonOL6-6325RS SeniorBrentwood, Tenn.Tennessee
71Ryan SpiersOL6-3298FreshmanBiloxi, Miss.Biloxi HS
73Zach QuinneyOL6-6315RS JuniorSavannah, Ga.Savannah Christian Prep
74Michael RankinsOL6-5295FreshmanRuskin, Fla.Lennard HS
76Wing GreenOL6-7305FreshmanLeesburg, Ga.Lee County HS
79William Lay IIIOL6-2305RS JuniorBowersville, Ga.Hart County HS
Devin CochranOL6-7320RS SeniorNorcross, Ga.Vanderbilt
Weston FranklinOL6-4310FreshmanJesup, Ga.Wayne County HS
Jakiah LeftwichOL6-6310FreshmanAtlanta, Ga.Westlake HS
Nick PendleyOL6-4310RS FreshmanCanton, Ga.Mississippi State

LibertyTurns

Banned
Um, wouldn't play that coaching card just yet, we have a staff of many unproven coaches including our head coach. And if we gauge from the last two years, I would say coaching is a liability.
Maybe we need some polls around here because people post Key is awesome in one thread & turnaround and say “can’t expect much from him because he’s unproven”? He coached for Saban. Last time I checked he wasn’t having issues recruiting coaching talent.

Damn, the staff is loaded with top notch talent with the exception of 2 spots, OC and HC. Those are the only 2 question marks. You can argue which one is the bigger unknown, but I find it odd we’re questioning Key’s bonafides for example.

Maybe we need some polls around here because people post Key is awesome in one thread & turnaround and say “can’t expect much from him because he’s unproven”? He coached for Saban. Last time I checked he wasn’t having issues recruiting coaching talent.

Damn, the staff is loaded with top notch talent with the exception of 2 spots, OC and HC. Those are the only 2 question marks. You can argue which one is the bigger unknown, but I find it odd we’re questioning Key’s bonafides for example.
Burton, Choice, Coleman, they are all relatively inexperienced. Key is a good coach with experience . But my doubts are with Collins and CDP.

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow

I think Collins can be a great coach with strong OC and DC. Unfortunately, I think OC and DC are our biggest question marks. I believe that if this season doesn’t go well, we could see a change at both spots. Can’t waste 4 star skill players with bad coaches (especially on offense)

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
EXACTLY !!! The only thing we have proven over the last 2 years is that we are unproven. We have not shown consistency in improvement in any part of our team, IMO. Flashes, yes, 2-3 games in row, no. We have LOADS (sic) of potential and apparently so much scary talent and depth that other teams should fear playing us ( our DEs ?). We may very well have that kind of team, but at this point, I would NOT call it FACT. I would call it HOPE. I also have TONS of Hope, but I need to see results.....and next year.