Preseason All-ACC Team

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Notable:
Surprised JHD got votes at DT having never played DT.
Demon Smith got vote at LB?
DJ White very under-rated at 5th among votes at CB.
All but one Guard in top OL votes and that Guard is Devine who has played real well.
QB - Both J Thomas and M Williams (UNC) a hundred votes behind D Watson (Clem), I would think it would have been close battle between the 3.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Everybody will hate that DJ got 5th at CB, but guys let's be real here. All of those guys in front of him are sure fire NFL talents. Hell, I would take that secondary in an NFL game tomorrow. The ACC has some very talented DBs, and DJ is one of them. He's not being slighted, the people in front of him are just very very good.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen Watson play except the few plays against us. The two wide receivers are what make him such a potential threat. Yes he can run, but how will he stand up to a full game being pressured and hit hard multiple times. We will play one game at a time and go to Clemson ready to remain undefeated.

thwgjacket

Everybody will hate that DJ got 5th at CB, but guys let's be real here. All of those guys in front of him are sure fire NFL talents. Hell, I would take that secondary in an NFL game tomorrow. The ACC has some very talented DBs, and DJ is one of them. He's not being slighted, the people in front of him are just very very good.
All the guys in front of him may be "sure fire NFL talents," but only one had more tackles than DJ last year (Ramsey) and none had as many INT's as DJ did last year. Alexander started 13 games last year and only had 22 total tackles, with exactly 0 INT's. Kendall Fuller is one of the most overrated players I have seen in a while. He benefits extremely well from having a good and consistent pass rush. Dude got manhandled by Smelter on multiple occasions last year. In my opinion he's overrated.

Last edited:
Notable:
Surprised JHD got votes at DT having never played DT.
Demon Smith got vote at LB?
DJ White very under-rated at 5th among votes at CB.
All but one Guard in top OL votes and that Guard is Devine who has played real well.
QB - Both J Thomas and M Williams (UNC) a hundred votes behind D Watson (Clem), I would think it would have been close battle between the 3.
The fact is there are dozens and dozens of participants on the message board that know so much more than the sportswriters that vote in these silly polls. Let's reevaluate at the end of this year.

I haven't seen Watson play except the few plays against us. The two wide receivers are what make him such a potential threat. Yes he can run, but how will he stand up to a full game being pressured and hit hard multiple times. We will play one game at a time and go to Clemson ready to remain undefeated.

When Tech plays them, we will see how he fares being on the field for only 20 minutes and feeling the pressure of having to answer Justin Thomas score-for-score. If he can match us in offensive production getting only half as many snaps, then we'll have to tip our hats to him. I don't think he can, especially against an improving defense.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Kendall Fuller blows. His last name's Fuller and that's all.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Watson is the single most hyped player in the nation this year, and he's coming back from ACL surgery. Yes, he was good before the injury but who really knows how that will affect him.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Notable:

The Watson Hype Machine is way to big and loud for there to be anyone else near him in voting. He's the whole reason Clempson is picked to win the ACC. They are VT if he's not on the field.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
Watson is the real deal. If he doesn't get hurt against us I think we would have lost that game. They were moving the ball at will with him in the game.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Watson is the real deal. If he doesn't get hurt against us I think we would have lost that game. They were moving the ball at will with him in the game.
3 drives, one for 0 yards. The other 2 started at the Clemson 49 and the 50 yard lines respectively. One of those got a field goal, the 2nd he got hurt and we had an 85 yard pick 6. That's how our defense played everyone last year: Red zone defense. No one is saying he is a bad player. We would just like to see him prove it (or fail against GT so we can have a good laugh.)

People like James Connor getting accolades I completely understand. He has numbers and is an absolute wrecking ball. I just hope he gets over the weird fear he's developed of crossing white lines since our game. Apparently he can't even cross a threshold without turning around to make sure DJ White isn't there behind him... poor guy

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow. That is a lot of supposition. How many points did they score with him in the game? 3? Personally, I think we win, either way. He may have given them a better chance, but you are talking about a 22 point swing just because of a single guy. Climpson beat some teams with the other QB at the helm you know. He wasn't chopped liver.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I certainly think he has the tools to be good but yes he’s incredibly overhyped. He exploded on South Carolina State, had a very solid game against FSU, and then blew up the incredible defenses of UNC and NC State… Then he looked awful against Louisville before getting injured, hardly played against us, and went off on the incredible defense of South Carolina in which they didn’t have a clue he was playing until gameday. There’s really just not much to go off of.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Just remember these were the same guys that voted us 5th in the Coastal last year. Given that, it's probably true that the people posting on this board know more about ACC football than the people that write the columns. Weren't we shut out of first string all ACC players last year at season's end despite how well we were playing?

We have a locker room full of Rodney Dangerfield's. What do you think the topic of conversation is going to be at player workouts for the next few days?

It is going to be a fun season with this sort of disrespect from the media. I wouldn't trade my Clemson tickets for ten year's worth of Final Fours.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow

That's a stretch. There's no telling how that game would've played out. How much would he have influenced the score? Hell, they only scored 6 points with a guy that started a handful of big-time games. Does Watson's presence push them to 21 additional points? 3 TD's a big swing. My memory is hazy, but it seems like we shut down their running game. Watson would have had a hard time as well without a running game. Would that have been enough to win the game for them?