Practice day - #5

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think for the foreseeable there will be plenty of snaps for both of them. My hope is that the 2-man rotation that CPJ enjoyed so much down the stretch can be similar next year. Obviously, that means 2 guys have to earn that. But, it would be great to see fresher legs carrying the load as we pound that Dive.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think for the foreseeable there will be plenty of snaps for both of them. My hope is that the 2-man rotation that CPJ enjoyed so much down the stretch can be similar next year. Obviously, that means 2 guys have to earn that. But, it would be great to see fresher legs carrying the load as we pound that Dive.
So here is a question: Before his success with Mr. Inside and Mr. Inside in '14, had Johnson ever platooned there before? Didn't see it at Navy. How about GSU? The mesh would seem to be the real question mark, easier with experienced players than freshmen. This is getting pretty interesting. (And note no position changes to get a B back.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Highlights of the Day: Justin Thomas hit Ricky Jeune in stride down the seam on the first play of 11-on-11 drills for a long touchdown. Later in the same drill, defensive back Lance Austin delivered a big hit on an A-back trying to turn the corner. Honorable mention goes to director of athletics Mike Bobinski showing off some fancy footwork to avoid getting pancaked on the sideline as a pair of players tumbled out of bounds.
Regardless, let him dangle a bit before extending his contract.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
The best thing we can do is not inflate a freshmans head-- I watched N Chubb from that correctional college play all thru highschool- he only came on with no he rah after he was all that was left. Had no expectations, No pressure, (of course that was until he got Jacket Stung! Let them get used to the speed of D1 ball- they have been playing T ball- now they are playing Travel Ball!

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
So here is a question: Before his success with Mr. Inside and Mr. Inside in '14, had Johnson ever platooned there before? Didn't see it at Navy. How about GSU? The mesh would seem to be the real question mark, easier with experienced players than freshmen. This is getting pretty interesting. (And note no position changes to get a B back.)
I don't know of it. Logic would suggest that Leggett would have the advantage. But, he needs to step up and grab the position for himself. Else, it may be a platoon of necessity for a while if Quaide gets it figured out enough to push him. I'm sure one of them will emerge to get more of the snaps. But, rotating them a little would be a nice luxury.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think people counting Messick out but that's a big dude that's athletic.
The freshman coming in the summer gonna make things really fun.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
I think people counting Messick out but that's a big dude that's athletic.
The freshman coming in the summer gonna make things really fun.
Messick has been the player I've been most intrigued about since seasons end. In all the threads, on multiple boards, discussion on him has been strangely....quiet.

He had that td catch against nc st. Great athletic catch in tight coverage. But supposedly ran a bad route. He has the gt wr size - is he our biggest wr?

Again, you hardly ever hear about him (making the cpj comment more interesting), so, someone in the know, is he seriously in the mix? He's got size and athleticism, but what do the coaches want him to work on?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Messick has been the player I've been most intrigued about since seasons end. In all the threads, on multiple boards, discussion on him has been strangely....quiet.

He had that td catch against nc st. Great athletic catch in tight coverage. But supposedly ran a bad route. He has the gt wr size - is he our biggest wr?

Again, you hardly ever hear about him (making the cpj comment more interesting), so, someone in the know, is he seriously in the mix? He's got size and athleticism, but what do the coaches want him to work on?
Making catches is only one part of what our wr's do and not the biggest part. Maybe we don't hear a lot of hype about him because he's struggling in other areas.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I've heard QW has suprised people with how fast/In shape he is. A Source told me she Heard CPJ threatening to Play him over Leggett if he didn't start shaping up.
This doesn't surprise me at all, I mean isn't that a main reason we recruited a BB who could enroll early? Someone to breathe down Leggett's back to keep him from getting complacent.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This doesn't surprise me at all, I mean isn't that a main reason we recruited a BB who could enroll early? Someone to breathe down Leggett's back to keep him from getting complacent.
How in the world does a guy who's never stepped foot on a college game field get complacent? That said, it is nice to have competition no matter the position. And the level of competition is only going to increase in the fall with the addition of two stud true freshmen.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

This has nothing to do with keeping Leggett from being complacent...Leggett has a long ways to go from being our starter come Alcorn State.