Practice #12 err 13

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just a hunch, but here is my take. CPJ is irritated because he realizes we aren't where we need to be right now. He also realizes back-to-back double digit win seasons is a possibility if we can turn
it up a notch. He seems to be a perfectionist by nature, and in the spring, with no game to point to, he is just antsy about getting everything ironed out. I bet come fall he won't be as irascible.
I think that's about right. When you connect the dots to another thing he talked about yesterday-- guys on the team talking about a National Championship, he's definitely wanting to put that all down into place. Which is to say, nowhere.

He got on the coaches in the meeting yesterday about the need to elevate, so this is something beyond normal "coachspeak motivation" stuff. He's trying to set the tone for the true offseason work that needs to get done.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The very end had a very telling comment, imo. When asked if he would have moved Snoddy to Bback had he been healthy, CPJ said "probably not." That right there lessons my concern somewhat about all the Bback overblown handwringing recently.

Michael Summers is another well spoken Jacket. I'm so proud to be a supporter of this team!

Or you should be equally concerned about how thin we are at AB. Don't forget, Snoddy never showed anything at BB and coach moved him away from BB - it's not like he's a guaranteed stud at the position. If we moved Snoddy to BB we would be left with Searcy (?) as a starting AB AND an unknown with Snoddy at BB. Much better to leave Snoddy at AB where he actually has a decent amount of experience and showed flashes of brilliance last year.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a hunch, but here is my take. CPJ is irritated because he realizes we aren't where we need to be right now. He also realizes back-to-back double digit win seasons is a possibility if we can turn
it up a notch. He seems to be a perfectionist by nature, and in the spring, with no game to point to, he is just antsy about getting everything ironed out. I bet come fall he won't be as irascible.

I'm hoping for 8-4 in the regular season. Kindof amazing how inflated the expectations are given that we just graduated 4 of our top 5 rushers (and 7 of our top 10), as well as our top 4 receivers (6 of the top 7, and 8 of the top 10). I don't get the warm and fuzzies from any skill player except JT and Snoddy.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am hoping for a +9-3 season.

The Defense will improve

The O will take a step back and improve as the year progresses.

JT proven
OL will get their duties together by fall
AB Snoddy, Andrews, and Ike will hold it together
BB biggest question mark
WR 1 depth person coming back, the others can block

The O will be back to higher performance in 2016, but we will be rebuilding a lot of the defense.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I love CPJ to death, but he has a very negative vibe in those post practice pressers and I mean all. the. time. He's short and dismissive with the reporters who are just doing their jobs. A little tact would serve him 5 fold the amount of effort he put in. He's his own worst enemy in the pr department.

Fwiw, he's a completely different personality during the coach's show with Brandon. Why can't that guy be his "press face" too?

Cheese,
You are right.PJ does need to be a EVEN a LITLE more patient with the questions.He continually acts like it everybody already knows all about the team and he wants to shorten this exercise as quickly as possible.
It would be different if we were selling out the stadium but a bit less attitude might mean a few more would not be turned off to GT fball.--just the truth.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Call me naive, but I think we have a large enough sample size that the A and B back position are plug-in-play. More worried about having Mr. Reliable at Wr to bail us out.
I agree about that---BUT-with the newbies at running back ,fumbles are looming.It is just a matter of when(see Chubb at uga game).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Bad attitude and spraying a ray of sunshine up reporters butts are two different things and I see neither so I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

All the goodwill in the world shown to the press won't cause them to hesitate, for a single second, from sharpening their knives again the second things go poorly.

I think primarily he is setting a tone for the team. i.e. Don't buy into the media darling attitude, we got a ton to improve before we are even "good", focus on our goals this year...last year is history.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bad attitude and spraying a ray of sunshine up reporters butts are two different things and I see neither so I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

All the goodwill in the world shown to the press won't cause them to hesitate, for a single second, from sharpening their knives again the second things go poorly.

I think primarily he is setting a tone for the team. i.e. Don't buy into the media darling attitude, we got a ton to improve before we are even "good", focus on our goals this year...last year is history.
At the lunch, he said that he told the team--"This team hasn't won a game yet. Not one. That was last year's team. This is a new deal."

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Woe is me! We lost our best pass rusher, DB, LB, and three other starters on D. We have three new starters on the OL, a QB that has never started a game. Gone is our only productive AB, our starter at BB. The Center and both safeties are trying to come back from injuries that cost them all or most of the season. Do you know how many fumbles we are going to have with a new Center, QB, BB, and all those inexperienced AB? Oh wait, that was last year.

We have 8 starters back on an improved defense. We have 9 of 10 back on the 2 deep OL. We have an experienced and talented QB and tested backup QB. Two of the more talented AB are coming back. Add a really good kicker and coaching stability.

Every team loses talent and experience every year in college football. Every team has questions about chemistry and motivation in the spring. In CPJ I trust.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
After last season I would be surprised if any team DIDN'T key on JeT but that just opens things up for everybody else. That's the beauty of CPJ's offense :D
It's only beautiful if those other guys can do their jobs successfully. We know all too well what happens to our O with poor edge blocking, bad pitch relationships, fumbled pitches, guys going the wrong way, etc....

Body Massage Machine

Georgia Tech Fan
https://rivals.yahoo.com/georgiatech/football/recruiting/commitments/2015

I just took a look at the commitment list from this past recruiting season. The majority will be redshirted, but we usually have a few players that make impacts as freshmen. I definitely see a few who could help provide quality depth and fill some gaps.

As far as the offensive line goes, I'm excited to see if some of the redshirted OLs can help provide even more depth and talent to what should be a good offensive line.

The one thing that worries me is a 3rd and long WR threat. Having 2 last year was part of the reason why our 3rd down conversion % was so high.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Come fall camp, we should have 5 guys trying to win the Bback spot: CJ, Quaide (assuming he heals as predicted), Marcus Allen, Marcus Marshall, and MLD. Surely one of those guys can do and adequate job. We have two tune up games to start the season, prepare to see an often communicated phrase in our Navy's submarine fleet: "Dive, Dive, Dive."

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It's only beautiful if those other guys can do their jobs successfully. We know all too well what happens to our O with poor edge blocking, bad pitch relationships, fumbled pitches, guys going the wrong way, etc....

Yes, we do at that, but this group of backs coming in are coming in with more talent/ability as group than we've seen at Tech before imo.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Woe is me! We lost our best pass rusher, DB, LB, and three other starters on D. We have three new starters on the OL, a QB that has never started a game. Gone is our only productive AB, our starter at BB. The Center and both safeties are trying to come back from injuries that cost them all or most of the season. Do you know how many fumbles we are going to have with a new Center, QB, BB, and all those inexperienced AB? Oh wait, that was last year.

We have 8 starters back on an improved defense. We have 9 of 10 back on the 2 deep OL. We have an experienced and talented QB and tested backup QB. Two of the more talented AB are coming back. Add a really good kicker and coaching stability.

Every team loses talent and experience every year in college football. Every team has questions about chemistry and motivation in the spring. In CPJ I trust.

It's a nice way of spinning it, but no matter what you say we returned a lot of game experience on offense last year. Our "QB that has never started a game" was the best QB recruit CPJ has ever had. And while we lost our "only productive AB" and "our starter at BB," the fact is we returned 4 SENIORS at AB, 3 SENIORS at BB, and 2 SENIORS at WR. This year we got Snoddy as the ONLY Senior at any of those positions.

Every team may lose talent - but show me another one that doesn't return a single start at RB or WR - and its not like we have experienced backups returning like last year. Aside from Snoddy, Andrews was the #6 AB on the depth chart last year. Leggett hasn't even played a college snap. I'm not trying to be negative, but there is a very real chance the offense could come nowhere close next year to how it was last year. Even if the offense was the same, we probably lose another game or two because of the tougher schedule.