Practice #12 err 13

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Me too. :)

I do have concerns. I perhaps am something of a nervous nellie about a few things. In no particular order:
I am still holding my breath on Snoddy's recovery.
I am not convinced the offensive line is out of the woods.
We still do not know for sure if 3 defensive linemen will be able to play or be able to play as well as we need them to.
Not having Smelter and Waller means we are starting over with our QB & WR chemistry.
B-back is up in the air.
Besides Jabari, what DL are we waiting to see if they'll be able to play?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vic would be a good choice, but I am looking forward to seeing him as a LB (cannot afford to move PJ Davis, but I know he would be a beats). I am looking forward to seeing Marshal the most at this point.

Having a mature physical body is so important to take the pounding this position sees.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
It's a nice way of spinning it, but no matter what you say we returned a lot of game experience on offense last year. Our "QB that has never started a game" was the best QB recruit CPJ has ever had. And while we lost our "only productive AB" and "our starter at BB," the fact is we returned 4 SENIORS at AB, 3 SENIORS at BB, and 2 SENIORS at WR. This year we got Snoddy as the ONLY Senior at any of those positions.

Every team may lose talent - but show me another one that doesn't return a single start at RB or WR - and its not like we have experienced backups returning like last year. Aside from Snoddy, Andrews was the #6 AB on the depth chart last year. Leggett hasn't even played a college snap. I'm not trying to be negative, but there is a very real chance the offense could come nowhere close next year to how it was last year. Even if the offense was the same, we probably lose another game or two because of the tougher schedule.

Legal,
You had better watch out--you will be pegged with that worst of all titles-"pragmatist ".You've been warned. yuk,yuk

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ actually commented on that bottom part yesterday at the luncheon...said something like they have had some problems with the team feeling entitled this spring and he reminds them this teak hasn't won a game and has to walk the walk before they can talk.

This is the essence of why it is so hard for teams (especially GT) to do well after a break out year. CPJ said the same thing in 2010 as I recall and was right then. We haven't had great back to back years since Dodd.

I'll wait till we actually start playing to get excited about football; there is so much we don't see and know. The team needs to be motivated now to carry on for the next several months till fall practice.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is the essence of why it is so hard for teams (especially GT) to do well after a break out year. CPJ said the same thing in 2010 as I recall and was right then. We haven't had great back to back years since Dodd.

I'll wait till we actually start playing to get excited about football; there is so much we don't see and know. The team needs to be motivated now to carry on for the next several months till fall practice.
I am not looking for us to name names, but I have idle curiosity about which players are acting entitled. CPJ said this was the case and I believe him but the players that have been interviewed have all talked about having to up their game to the next level and the fact that they cannot rest on their past achievements. I would be curious if these are new kids, kids who were lower on the depth chart or players who are getting a chance to start for the first time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Northeast Stinger

Your guess is probably better than mine but he may be referring to the issue at large, encompassing the whole team more than a few or even several players.

Despite my preseason prognostication I really had no idea how many games we would win last year. One thing I did gather though (from following the news, this board, and Techs site) was that the team as a whole had some really good chemistry and strong desire to succeed. "Where going to Charlotte!"

We could improve at most positions and still fail to succeed if the chemistry of the team lacks in comparison this year. They need to keep their chips on their shoulders for one thing and recognize EVERY team will be looking to knock that chip off this year.

Not only will every team be gunning for us this year....but the second we falter the naysayers will return and label us a gimmick program again.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
@Northeast Stinger

Your guess is probably better than mine but he may be referring to the issue at large, encompassing the whole team more than a few or even several players.

Despite my preseason prognostication I really had no idea how many games we would win last year. One thing I did gather though (from following the news, this board, and Techs site) was that the team as a whole had some really good chemistry and strong desire to succeed. "Where going to Charlotte!"

We could improve at most positions and still fail to succeed if the chemistry of the team lacks in comparison this year. They need to keep their chips on their shoulders for one thing and recognize EVERY team will be looking to knock that chip off this year.

Not only will every team be gunning for us this year....but the second we falter the naysayers will return and label us a gimmick program again.
Agree with every bit of this 1000%.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@Northeast Stinger

As far as chemistry goes, I don't see anybody to replace Synjyn's vibe.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Mmmmm....maybe not. But a different vibe could still lead to another big hit. Maybe little bro's (JHD's) fire will be a catalyst for the team. Who knows? We might never have known SDs vibe without that vid cameo he jumped into that went viral "we're going to Charlotte!" And their were likely more leaders and such we never even heard about.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Mmmmm....maybe not. But a different vibe could still lead to another big hit. Maybe little bro's (JHD's) fire will be a catalyst for the team. Who knows? We might never have known SDs vibe without that vid cameo he jumped into that went viral "we're going to Charlotte!" And their were likely more leaders and such we never even heard about.
Synjyn's attitude was remarkable. Most guys in his shoes, guys who were the guy in high school but can't find a spot in college, are gonna sulk and pout. All the time he was "lost" he never had his chin down, in fact, it was quite the opposite. Then when he finds his place, he really finds it!