Power shift in the ACC????

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Coach Johnson lost all of the capital in 2015 that he gained in 2014. I agree he is coaching for his job in 2016. You just can't justify that level of inconsistency at the head coaching position. He should have established his program by now but based on this past season, everything is in doubt. His offense looked top flight in 2014 and dropped to totally inept in 2015. Obviously, I hope he succeeds but without a doubt he has placed himself in jeopardy going into 2016.

Go Jackets!

Imo he has been way too reluctant to make changes in staff on the O side. Its rinse and repeat imo. Expect the D to be as bad as its been

In 2016 if the O turns it around and becomes more effecient even with a roof d we can still win 8. Maybe 9 with luck here and there. But 6-7 is probably where we are. We have to play clemson. Uga. Miami with richt will be better and we always lose to them under cpj. Do we play nd and fsu? I think so. So that may be 5 losses right there. Unc on the road. Vt on the road. We could easily be a 5 win team too.

I just dont see how status quo makes us improve. Sure the players have responsibility. But the coaches own a piece of the disfuntion too.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Coach Johnson lost all of the capital in 2015 that he gained in 2014. I agree he is coaching for his job in 2016. You just can't justify that level of inconsistency at the head coaching position. He should have established his program by now but based on this past season, everything is in doubt. His offense looked top flight in 2014 and dropped to totally inept in 2015. Obviously, I hope he succeeds but without a doubt he has placed himself in jeopardy going into 2016.

Go Jackets!
There were a lot more things that went wrong out of the control of coaching than due to coaching in 2014. To say he is the reason is stupid, and to fire him is really stupid.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Imo he has been way too reluctant to make changes in staff on the O side. Its rinse and repeat imo. Expect the D to be as bad as its been

In 2016 if the O turns it around and becomes more effecient even with a roof d we can still win 8. Maybe 9 with luck here and there. But 6-7 is probably where we are. We have to play clemson. Uga. Miami with richt will be better and we always lose to them under cpj. Do we play nd and fsu? I think so. So that may be 5 losses right there. Unc on the road. Vt on the road. We could easily be a 5 win team too.

I just dont see how status quo makes us improve. Sure the players have responsibility. But the coaches own a piece of the disfuntion too.
We don't play ND or FSU.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

Go Jackets!
That's unfortunate if he is coaching for his job next year not only for him but for Tech. GT is a challenging place to try to win consistently. Obviously no coach has in recent history. There have been coaches who had a good season or two and then moved on leaving us to have to rebuild again. We hired CCG and he wasn't good enough for the Tech people. Now we're saying CPJs job is on the line. Maybe there needs to be different way of thinking rather than the fire the coach mentality if we're after 10 wins every year? Maybe the school needs to change if that's what we want?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Cheese , got a couple of questions for you
Cheese, you are the man that called it when "we" underestimated the positive impact of all the Senior ab bb and wr whose back up juniors - Snoody and Andrews had during 2014.
Should we have waited to given coach and staff the MAJOR extension in their contracts ? Sure to a major raise but extension??. I would think u would have been cautious on extension since u saw the drop off coming?

Comment = After Navy did his stats thing and I saw the ol start messing with the outside blocking, I was all in for raise and extension. For 15 I Really believed that Andrews , Snoddy plus lynch AND the hope the defense WOULD STEP UP and WIN SOME GAMES with all the SENIORS @ DB ( only 9 iinterceptions in 15 verses 18 in 15 was a disappointing to me).

Second question,In 16 are you concerned about a big let down by the defense with loss of all senior db and gotsis??. While they weren't lights out they kept us competitive. As a part of the defense performance in 16, how much is roof and staff's responsibility?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Cheese , got a couple of questions for you
Cheese, you are the man that called it when "we" underestimated the positive impact of all the Senior ab bb and wr whose back up juniors - Snoody and Andrews had during 2014.
Should we have waited to given coach and staff the MAJOR extension in their contracts ? Sure to a major raise but extension??. I would think u would have been cautious on extension since u saw the drop off coming?

Comment = After Navy did his stats thing and I saw the ol start messing with the outside blocking, I was all in for raise and extension. For 15 I Really believed that Andrews , Snoddy plus lynch AND the hope the defense WOULD STEP UP and WIN SOME GAMES with all the SENIORS @ DB ( only 9 iinterceptions in 15 verses 18 in 15 was a disappointing to me).

Second question,In 16 are you concerned about a big let down by the defense with loss of all senior db and gotsis??. While they weren't lights out they kept us competitive. As a part of the defense performance in 16, how much is roof and staff's responsibility?
Not cheese but I think the D may be about the same. We got a lot of younger guys some meaningful reps. Luckily we have 3 games to get everything to gel. BC,Mercer and Vanderbilt. The newbies in the secondary could get tested from the transfer from Kentucky they brought in. He's got an arm. Mercer is Mercer and Vandy is a P5 school so by time league play starts they should be ok.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
That's unfortunate if he is coaching for his job next year not only for him but for Tech. GT is a challenging place to try to win consistently. Obviously no coach has in recent history. There have been coaches who had a good season or two and then moved on leaving us to have to rebuild again. We hired CCG and he wasn't good enough for the Tech people. Now we're saying CPJs job is on the line. Maybe there needs to be different way of thinking rather than the fire the coach mentality if we're after 10 wins every year? Maybe the school needs to change if that's what we want?

10 wins a year is definitely unrealistic. But 3-9 is, and absolutely should be considered unacceptable under ANY circumstances. Even with the injuries we shouldn't have been that bad.

I'm a CPJ fan, but I think we should call it like we see it. The coaches didn't do a great job this year. Add to that a bunch of injuries and graduating seniors and you get a 3-9 season. Better coaching may have landed is somewhere around 6-6.

No one needs to be fired. They probably just need to take a step back and take a good look at everything that went wrong this season, determine what they can improve upon and make a concerted effort to do so. Everything will be fine if they do that. If so, I don't think 8-9 wins next year would be that crazy.

This is a big upcoming season for Johnson. If we go 4-8 or something terrible again then he is probably in trouble. I doubt he'd be fired given the contract, but he'd almost have to win the ACC within three years to stick around much after that.

I for one think he'll turn it around and we will be fine.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
FB_IMG_1451765132916.jpg
I wonder how ESPN will spin these interesting stats?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

We do not face ND or FSU. Replaced them with Vanderbilt and Boston College in Dublin to open the season. As far as the rest of the schedule goes e get Mercer,Vanderbilt & Ga Southern at home OOC & UGA away. I think we go 3-1 there. UGA is a toss up. We play well in hell and I think they take a step back. It'll be interesting to see if Kirby is "Smart" enough to get his D ready for our O. We've always moved it on them it's been more of our D stoping them.
In the ACC we face BC in Dublin. They were horrid on O but had one of the best D in college football. There D coordinator left for Michigan so I think they see a big drop. We travel to UNC who should be the favorite in the Costal. They lose Williams at QB but the hype is Tranbiski sp? Is the real deal so I'm counting thst as an L
VT on the road is always tough and they got there biggest win of the season when Foster stayed on to coach his D. It'll be interesting to see how they adapt to Fuentes new style. Motley is mobile and could do well in that system plus the D returns a lot and always gives us issues. I have that as an L
Pitt away is intriguing. Boyd went pro. James Connor had a knee injury and cancer on top of that. Narduzi will build a solid program there. I think last year was a fluke and they lose to much on O so I'm calling that a W
Home games we have Duke, Da U, UVA and Clemson.
Duke loses Sirk at QB and Cash on D. Cash stopped us himself on D this past year. I think CPJ is pissed about dropping 2 in a row to Cutcliff and we win big.
UVA breaks in a new coach. Mendenhall has had success against us and is familiar with coaching Afonso the option but he's always had 23-24 year olds to do it with. I think it's gonna be a big change for the Hoo's and we get a W this year.
Miami has CMR. He's owned us and he walks into a good situation there with Kayaa at QB. He may be the best in the ACC next year. It's gonna be a tough game but I think home field helps and we pull out a hard fought W
Clemson will be preseason # 1 or 2. Everyone is back and Watson will be the Heisman front runner to start the season. They never win in Atl but I just don't think we have enough to beat them. So I'm calling it a L
That 5-3 in the ACC good enough for 2nd or 3rd. I think Unc or Miami win the division.
The last 2 games of the year are Georgia Sourhern at home and at Ugag. GSU has a new coach so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. It's the ultimate trap game. Option offense and UGA the following week. It's GSU's super bowl and we say what can happen if we let them stick around. I think we have too much for them and come out with a W
Georgia is going through some changes. They have talent and Chubb and Michel are still in the backfield. Eason will be the wild card for them. We have success there but it usually takes a little luck to beat them. I hate to say it but until we can consistantly beat them I gotta go with an L
That puts us at 8-4. Not what I had expected for 2016 but after this past year I'll take it. Sorry for the long post.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The coaching did not change. We had a HUGE void of talent between last years seniors and this football team. While our recruitment of speed positions has improved, we are way behind in the trenches.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
10 wins a year is definitely unrealistic. But 3-9 is, and absolutely should be considered unacceptable under ANY circumstances. Even with the injuries we shouldn't have been that bad.

I'm a CPJ fan, but I think we should call it like we see it. The coaches didn't do a great job this year. Add to that a bunch of injuries and graduating seniors and you get a 3-9 season. Better coaching may have landed is somewhere around 6-6.

No one needs to be fired. They probably just need to take a step back and take a good look at everything that went wrong this season, determine what they can improve upon and make a concerted effort to do so. Everything will be fine if they do that. If so, I don't think 8-9 wins next year would be that crazy.

This is a big upcoming season for Johnson. If we go 4-8 or something terrible again then he is probably in trouble. I doubt he'd be fired given the contract, but he'd almost have to win the ACC within three years to stick around much after that.

I for one think he'll turn it around and we will be fine.
No coach has been a consistent winner so somethings wrong that's not the coach.

I think we will bounce back and win 8-9 games next year but I personally do not think we will be ranked 15-20 to start the year if that's what you're saying. I think we will end up there but after this years outcome next season will be a show and prove type year. I think it could be mid season before we're ranked. The Costal should be interesting and could become one of the hardest divisions in the country. Time for CPJ and the rest of the staff to step up or we could get left behind.

"...could get left behind"? We have definitely been left at the starting gate. I don't know where you see 8 wins next year. Let's start off by trying to win five. I am watching Kansas State and Arkansas right now and we would be manhandled by either of these juggernauts, and they will have a dozen losses between them at the end of this game. I realize you (and many others) believe 3-9 is the outlier, but the fluke was probably 11-3, winning he Orange Bowl. I look forward to next season with hope that we can get back to mediocre and play in one of the bowl games. I can't imagine us challenging for the division anytime soon.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
They are creating a recruiting machine (but recruiting ratings don't count, right, ) in Clemson. Two things could stop it.

1 - Alabama comes calling after St. Nick retires.

2 - Their AD proves again that he is capable of making a minor investigation into a big probation
I was late getting to your point because I just couldn't see any rules violations in play under Swinney, who is about as rigid about "winning the right way" as Johnson. But, yeah. If Radokovich had kept his mouth shut, nothing would have happened with Thomas. But in his defense, it is or was an insulting NCAA rule that the AD would not be allowed to tell his head ball coach about an investigation. If that doesn't create paranoia and discord in a program nothing will. But then the NCAA is pretty much like world soccer in some regards.

As for Alabama, I don't know. Remember his alma mater fired him, too. Contrary to the image his detractors, the ones he keeps beating, love to paint, Swinney is a very smart man. He knows as long as he continues to get his share of wins against SC -- the gum on the bottom of every Clemson shoe -- and competes nationally he is good to go. He knows what he has -- and the program is picking up blue chippers like discarded confetti these days -- and it is getting better. Alabama, no matter who follows, will always and forever be Saban's. He might waver if Gene Stallings personally asked him. Swinney is a loyal man, and is indebted to Stallings for several reasons. Alabama already is a bargaining chip for Swinney to get everything he wants for his Clemson program, in a conference he could dominate. Everybody now has to step it up. He's a football coach and if there is one thing they know, it is leverage. Can you imagine what the school and IPTAY will cough up if Clemson wins the NC?

Besides which, really: after decades of button down, serious and somber head coaches, anybody see Swinney's inspirational messages and actions flying where the tusks are looser? He'd have to learn square dance for his locker room.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Seems like a long offseason already. Sometimes I think many Tech fans deserve Bill Lewis. Maybe I should just start using the ignore button. Maybe fan forums just ain't for me.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
"...could get left behind"? We have definitely been left at the starting gate. I don't know where you see 8 wins next year. Let's start off by trying to win five. I am watching Kansas State and Arkansas right now and we would be manhandled by either of these juggernauts, and they will have a dozen losses between them at the end of this game. I realize you (and many others) believe 3-9 is the outlier, but the fluke was probably 11-3, winning he Orange Bowl. I look forward to next season with hope that we can get back to mediocre and play in one of the bowl games. I can't imagine us challenging for the division anytime soon.
You probably couldn't have imagined us winning 11 games including the OB last year, just like you probably couldn't have imagined us going 3-9 this year.

The idea that we can't compete for the ACC coastal next year is silly.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Seems like a long offseason already. Sometimes I think many Tech fans deserve Bill Lewis. Maybe I should just start using the ignore button. Maybe fan forums just ain't for me.
Naw. I think it's just frustration from a horrible year plus watching all these bowl games that we're not a part of. Everyone is just a little pissy. Myself included. It's not easy to be a GT fan but seasons like last year make it well worth it.