Potential playoff expansion

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Big news

Link

I could get behind this. Seems like all sides compromised here. Certainly better than what currently exists.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Under what is proposed, I wonder what that means for ND. The current suggestion is that only the 4 highest ranked champs could get a bye. Would this mean that ND could never get a bye?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't ND a part of the committee which came up with the recommendations?? I highly doubt they would back themselves into a corner. I'm fine with the ND arrangement. Let them be solo for as long as they can. I younger ND grads that I run into, all seem to be very open to joining a conference. I think it's the old money powerbrokers that are really against it.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we should go back to the days of letting a (insert pronoun here) from the San Jose Mercury News and the Akron Beacon pick a National Champ on Jan. 2 every year. Those were the days of watching #1 play #9 and #2 playing #10 every New Years Day. I really can’t stand this idea of playing actual games to determine a champion.

Deleted member 2897

Here comes the butt hurt for the teams ranked #13-15 for how unfairly they’re being treated by being left out. 🤣

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
6 th is the highest rated group of 5…non power conference.

It doesn't actually specify which conferences. Just the 6 highest rated champions. So if for whatever reason the pac 12 is super bad and their conference champion is ranked behind two of the G5 champions then they wouldn't get in, unless they were in the remaining 6 highest rated teams.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It would be possible for a 5-12 team to play 17 games, the same number as the newly expanded NFL regular season.

Is that too many? Seems like a lot of games to me.

Scubapro

Banned
"No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference," the proposal states.
They are light on details but this looks ripe for SECSPN & Irish racket.
They could leave out multiple one or two loss champions for a two loss Notre Dame team and a host of crummy SEC teams

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
SMH some people willing to give up an opportunity for GT to get a realistic shot at the playoffs just to prevent ugag from getting in.

News flash, they are already getting plenty of chances in the 4 team playoff. This way if we make a good run at it, it at least builds program momentum. Way more upside for us.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Stupid idea. Just auto qualify the P5 champs. If you win your conference you should get into the top 12. In the case where someone like Bama loses they’d get one of the other six spots anyways.

Milwaukee

Banned
Stupid idea. Just auto qualify the P5 champs. If you win your conference you should get into the top 12. In the case where someone like Bama loses they’d get one of the other six spots anyways.
“The proposal calls for the bracket to include the six highest-ranked conference champions and the six remaining highest-ranked teams as determined by the CFP selection committee.”

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I won’t hate the idea if they start playing these games sooner in bowl season instead of waiting a month to start. But all your doing is moving the argument on the 12-14 place teams. With the top teams getting a bye, it also seems like it will be fun watching the first round just for those teams to get crushed by Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state till we are back to the traditional final 3/4 teams