Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
GT fans forget how big of a deal Donnie Davis was. #2 overall QB, and #1 Dual Threat QB in the nation. Had the services been around then, he would have been a consensus 5 star. It's a shame he never got to work with Friedgen. He was actually pretty good once a staff knew what to do with him. Donnie Davis's skillset was a decade before his time.
The top 2 quarterbacks in the 1991 class were Heath Shuler and Donnie Davis. Donnie Davis' high school team beat Heath Shuler's in the 1990 North Carolina high school football championship game.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Im not trying to be a ******* but I think You are one of the few because most of us think they have almost nothing in common. Maybe Im looking at this wrong but please share what a private school with roughly 60 distinct degree concentrations have in common with a Public STEM school that looks a lot more like MIT?

Funny that Quincy, Donnie and Charles Dudish all were QBs.

The Stanford thing has everything to do with them recruiting smart kids like we have to. Some of us believe the curriculum angle is severely overblown and believe there is historical evidence to support this. Others disagree.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
GT fans forget how big of a deal Donnie Davis was. #2 overall QB, and #1 Dual Threat QB in the nation. Had the services been around then, he would have been a consensus 5 star. It's a shame he never got to work with Friedgen. He was actually pretty good once a staff knew what to do with him. Donnie Davis's skillset was a decade before his time.
When Bill &^%$ made Luganbill???? the starter over Donnie it split the team up. Donnie could have been special with the Fridge or even under PJ.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Good lord that was 30 years ago.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Im not trying to be a ******* but I think You are one of the few because most of us think they have almost nothing in common. Maybe Im looking at this wrong but please share what a private school with roughly 60 distinct degree concentrations have in common with a Public STEM school that looks a lot more like MIT?

Funny that Quincy, Donnie and Charles Dudish all were QBs.
I'm not trying to make an EXACT correlation, and I'm not looking for reasons to 'NOT'. I'm speaking strictly football potential. We can build a football program that is top notch and attractive to top SAs nationally like Stanford has. We can be Top 25 every year, win 9-11 games, and get in waaaay more ACC championship games.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not trying to make an EXACT correlation, and I'm not looking for reasons to 'NOT'. I'm speaking strictly football potential. We can build a football program that is top notch and attractive to top SAs nationally like Stanford has.
I wouldn't mind the results.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow

Hate to say it but as someone who has taken a summer course in econometrics at MIT that was more difficult than 90% of my electrical engineering work at GT, I’d hate to see a thUGA (or whatever rival) player “hide” there.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would guess based on previous discussions about this that the big change, other than QB, will be in the offensive line requirements: pass blocking interior line vs. run blocking, size, longer arms, etc. But I think the new guy will have some players to work with and -- again with the QB -- could have a relatively pleasant first year W-L, including a bowl trip. now, it might be Detroit again, but a bowl game. To me it is reasonable to expect six-eight wins unless the cupboard is completely bare, and I don't think Johnson did that.

And I still expect to see Johnson coaching again with maybe a year off.
no matter who it is I'm with him, win or tie. But I would like to see what Elliott could have done adapting Clemson's short game, RPO, to Tech's current personnel. Because Clemson knows there is some talent there. Maybe Graham is the immediate answer for the new guy. I don't know anything about the complexities of those spread offenses, but I would bet my subscription to Baseball Reliquary that they nowhere nearly as difficult to operate as Johnson's spread option. I mean, that's the advantage of having the QB 6-7 yards deep. The question remains though, do we have somebody who can run and pass?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Taking it to mean I'll be named HC shortly. I think that, combined with another fortune cookie that said "You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life" should get a lot of Tech folks excited.

Get prepared....people are going to hate you because...
- you run the option
-you don't run the option
-you didn't play at Tech
-you are not an assistant or HC at Bama or Clemson
-you got hired and their guy didn't
-somewhere in your family tree,doesn't matter how long ago... someone went to Uga

Good luck.I got your back...but the rest of these sumbiches.....you are going to need to win...and fast.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that Finneran’s rumor was irresponsible reporting and caused a lot of unnecessary consternation. Todd is a pro and will make the best long term decision for GT. He has had his list for months probably and will interview. He played at Tech, was Associate Athletic Director for Academics under Homer with O’Lwary as HC, and wants to be at GT long term. I have all the confidence in Todd. Go Jackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.