Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow

This 100%! Take your time Todd. Don't worry about recruits, get the right hire.

It's funny, when we hire here we take months and conduct several interviews and give personality/competency tests for positions that start out at 60 to 70k/year. And if the hire doesn't work out we lose maybe thousands of dollars. Hiring a coach there is literally millions of dollars on the line and the hire has do be done in a week. Makes no damn sense.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm against him because I do not think he is the best candidate on the market. I've presented evidence to back that up in lieu of hyperbole.

He may not be the best candidate on the market. Yet, he may be the best candidate on the market we can actually get.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So you're saying that instead of analyzing results as a head coach, Tech should feel out a fit? That's a horrible plan.

While you've decided to "randomly" pick successful coaches, it's important to note:
1. GOL , Riley, Fisher and Dabo were promoted from within at their respective schools.
2. Malzahn and Meyer won 9 games as a head coach before being hired by larger schools, Collins has not done that, though he would have a chance if he stays for the bowl. Interesting that you analyze Meyer before Utah when Utah was in a similar conference as Temple. I wonder why you did that? Trying to apply spin perhaps?
3. Of all the names you listed, only two were not promoted from within and had less success than Collins as a head coach prior to being hired, Mullens and Fridge.
4. Two examples do not make a rule.

This is full of lol. Fisher promoted from within. No. He was hired as head coach in waiting.

Promoted from within further supports my points its about fit not hc track record.

Two examples? No. These are a bunch of examples of people hired with no track record or less than collins that were just fine. Smart. Richt. Were those from within? U ignored those. Meyer. Mullins. Gus malzahn. What about gus. U ignored that one too. Talking about being selective. Does gus not qualify? He sure does.

You are damn right we should interview and get a sense for fit. Damn right. Its a big piece of it on top of aptitude and coaching pedigree.

He may suck. But to say it’s because of lack of experience is dumb. Experience isn’t always good either. Look at all the nfl coaches that go to college and suck

grb916

Georgia Tech Fan
And the plot thickens......guess who was in NY, and in the same location as T Stan..... this guy........ I know he’s there for his player, but come on, no way they didn’t talk, right?

I have little doubt that TStans at least informally spoke with Collins while in NYC. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing he has his short list of candidates that he's going to speak with before letting any real word leak. This probably consists of KW (reports are that he interviewed earlier in the week), Collins (guessing they spoke yesterday or today), and maybe another guy that he'll talk to once he's back in Atlanta (fingers crossed for Elliott). Probably won't hear much until Friday would be my guess.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This is full of lol. Fisher promoted from within. No. He was hired as head coach in waiting.

Promoted from within further supports my points its about fit not hc track record.

Two examples? No. These are a bunch of examples of people hired with no track record or less than collins that were just fine. Smart. Richt. Were those from within? U ignored those. Meyer. Mullins. Gus malzahn. What about gus. U ignored that one too. Talking about being selective. Does gus not qualify? He sure does.

You are damn right we should interview and get a sense for fit. Damn right. Its a big piece of it on top of aptitude and coaching pedigree.

He may suck. But to say it’s because of lack of experience is dumb. Experience isn’t always good either. Look at all the nfl coaches that go to college and suck
Wait, who are you for hiring?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I have little doubt that TStans at least informally spoke with Collins while in NYC. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing he has his short list of candidates that he's going to speak with before letting any real word leak. This probably consists of KW (reports are that he interviewed earlier in the week), Collins (guessing they spoke yesterday or today), and maybe another guy that he'll talk to once he's back in Atlanta (fingers crossed for Elliott). Probably won't hear much until Friday would be my guess.
I was high on Elliot, but after thought, I just don’t get it over Collins.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins may suck. No one knows. So much factors in. My simple opinion is of all the names we have heard so far he would be my pick.

Gus non withstanding i like gus. He could do well here.

But they both need more school support

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

My comment includes Gus, he won 9 games as a head coach. I'm not arguing for NFL experience, so I don't know where that is coming from. I've been very outspoken against KW. I notice you gave no response to why you compared Meyer pre-Utah.

You're remaining two examples are the former UGA coach and the current UGA coach. I can easily find you examples of similar coaches that turned out poorly with experience similar to Richt and Smart. Will Muschamp off the top of my head.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What are GT’s struggles?

Defense: check for Collins
Innovation/plan: check for Collins
Recruiting: check for Collins

These imo have big 3 of the biggest issues (besides money/facilities) and Collins checks them all off. Out of the other candidates, I can’t say they do that.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Biggest thing with Collins is figuring out who he's going to bring in as OC. Collins + a good OC can do good things. I still think an Elliot/Andy Mac recruiting combo would give us a huge advantage no matter what we do.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

People that don't take fit into consideration end up with new spots to fill pretty quickly. A person that is a bad fit can drive off other high quality employees, and create a ton of tension and turmoil that are very counterproductive to a team. Especially when a job requires you to influence a bunch of people that you don't control.....like the coach of a college football team. I recently worked in a small corporate team with one exec and 6 directs, in a role where you're expected to stay 3-4 years and then move on to something new. Every time we filled a spot as people moved on, the fit was the biggest thing. There were qualified people that didn't fit our "servant leader" model and would've failed miserably.

Finding the right fit means the person that can do the best with our donors, our school, our community and our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.