Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Imo, this Whiz hire (if it happens) is just as much, if not more about the assistants that are hired. I don’t get the Chan 2.0 like I’ve seen some say, besides pro style offense how are they the same? Wouldnt you also say whiz is more accomplished as an offensive mind as well? Let’s not forget Whiz can hire a spread option OC and go away from pro, which is what I think could happen.

Pros: good offensive mind, and even if we go to a spread option he could still give advice from having the abilty to read defenses and could help with getting good matchups to expose defenses. He can walk into a house and he has an NFL resume which will sit well with parents and recruits. He knows GT (although it’s been a while) could hire a really good staff with his connections from being in the business for so long.

Cons: pro style offense, hasn’t been at the college level for a while.

The good thing is, the 2 cons can be fixed pretty easily with assistan coaches. That’s why I posted what I did to start off. If Whiz is hired and gets a good staff we could be ok. Honestly any coach we hire is a gamble, why is Whiz any more of one?

This is all just my opinion of course, but might not be as bad as some think.

No matter what, we should back him and not bash him if he is hire imo.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
As a fan he there’s not choice Except for to support him, so with saying that I hope he brings in some really talented coordinators that can recruit and just let him ceo. I’m not against keeping woody but whether it’s us or not I believe Satterfield will get a new job and woody will join him. I think wiz will wanna bring new guys in. Most coaches will want too
If Woody goes with Satterfield, AMc needs to be our DC, or Asst HC. He may bring Roof back.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
With the high schools QB’s that are coming out if Georgia now I think he can sell them. Letting them know he’s coached three Hall if Fame QB’s in Big Ben, Warner, and Rivers. He wants good without a elite QB though and got fired over a terrible rookie year with Mariota. If he brings in the right guys that can help it may work. We back him and see what happens at least until CPJ’s kids are gone and it’s all his guys. At that point no one can blame anyone but him and TStan if it doesn’t work but at his age who knows how long he stays and we won’t give him 10 plus years if he doesn’t produce.
Agree with this analysis... I'm willing to support fully whomever we end up hiring. Mostly because whomever it is will be the leader of my team, and I don't have the option of jumping to another team.. I'm a Yellow Jacket and always will be.

Just hope that "if" he offers Coach Whisenhunt the job, that he enthusiastically accepts without hesitation... We do NOT need a Tennessee type drama scene.. If you're going to hire an NFL guy, make it look strong and certain.

Presumably, Todd would know the answer before asking the question.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with this analysis... I'm willing to support fully whomever we end up hiring. Mostly because whomever it is will be the leader of my team, and I don't have the option of jumping to another team.. I'm a Yellow Jacket and always will be.

Just hope that "if" he offers Coach Whisenhunt the job, that he enthusiastically accepts without hesitation... We do NOT need a Tennessee type drama scene.. If you're going to hire an NFL guy, make it look strong and certain.

Presumably, Todd would know the answer before asking the question.
I agree

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO I don’t believe Roof will be back. At least I hope not. We can do better than that. I believe for DC he may would bring someone in with him from the NFL with more ties and experience than him at the college level. For OC get a younger talented guy that knows how to recruit and can take Wiz’s offense and mix it up with some spread to make it a better fit. Like I’ve said be the CEO and use his NFL experience to recruit. Chan at the end showed he could recruit I believe Wiz will do better

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Imo, this Whiz hire (if it happens) is just as much, if not more about the assistants that are hired. I don’t get the Chan 2.0 like I’ve seen some say, besides pro style offense how are they the same? Wouldnt you also say whiz is more accomplished as an offensive mind as well? Let’s not forget Whiz can hire a spread option OC and go away from pro, which is what I think could happen.

Pros: good offensive mind, and even if we go to a spread option he could still give advice from having the abilty to read defenses and could help with getting good matchups to expose defenses. He can walk into a house and he has an NFL resume which will sit well with parents and recruits. He knows GT (although it’s been a while) could hire a really good staff with his connections from being in the business for so long.

Cons: pro style offense, hasn’t been at the college level for a while.

The good thing is, the 2 cons can be fixed pretty easily with assistan coaches. That’s why I posted what I did to start off. If Whiz is hired and gets a good staff we could be ok. Honestly any coach we hire is a gamble, why is Whiz any more of one?

This is all just my opinion of course, but might not be as bad as some think.

No matter what, we should back him and not bash him if he is hire imo.
I agree with many of your points. However, one thing is for certain. The college game is predicated a lot more on raw physical talent, so recruiting is at more of a premium. Control freak coaches aren't going to make it at the college level beating their heads into the wall, trying to get college kids on 20 hours of practice a week to do super complex crap. We've seen that with d-coordinators here.

So, then if the best situation based on transitioning from the option and what is working in the college game now for programs in our position, choosing a college style OC is the best choice- then whatever offensive mind or resume KW has becomes diminished. What becomes more important is his record as HC, and that aint pretty. Hint: Superbowl notwithstanding, it's historically bad among NFL coaches.

Hiring a 56 year old guy when a 61 year old just retired makes no sense either. This just looks like cronyism and nepotism. There's no way to polish that turd.

But, hey, it's the big donors' money. He who pays the fiddler calls the tune. I'll continue to support the team, but this feels like looking forward to Chan Gailey, Ted Roof and Al Groh all rolled into one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ugh, I have a sick feeling GT is about to royally F this one up.

FINALLY, GT is looked upon favorably by the national media. We are one of the best jobs on the market. Many are looking at GT as a "right coach could do something special" type job. The HC opening is lining up as the same time as a massive capital campaign. Our division is ripe for the right coach to make GT the elite team of the Coastal.

...and we're about to throw the ball through the end zone on 4th down.

I'll support whoever we hire because it ultimately means I'm supporting GT...but man alive, there's a reason a lot of us say "GT can't have nice things."

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Why are we talking about NFL experience like it's a positive? When has that hire ever worked out? Purely NFL coaches almost never succeed in college, because it's a totally different game. If we hired Whisenhunt, we would be hiring a 56-year old coach with no relevant experience who has failed as a head coach when he's tried to do it in the past.

If the assistants make the difference, why even hire KW? Hire one of the younger, better college coaches and give them the stellar assistants! Hiring Whisenhunt is a program killer. There is no chance it ends well.

Animal02

Banned
Ugh, I have a sick feeling GT is about to royally F this one up.

FINALLY, GT is looked upon favorably by the national media. We are one of the best jobs on the market. Many are looking at GT as a "right coach could do something special" type job. The HC opening is lining up as the same time as a massive capital campaign. Our division is ripe for the right coach to make GT the elite team of the Coastal.

...and we're about to SPIKE the ball on 4th down.

I'll support whoever we hire because it ultimately means I'm supporting GT...but man alive, there's a reason a lot of us say "GT can't have nice things."
FTFY

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why are we talking about NFL experience like it's a positive? When has that hire ever worked out? Purely NFL coaches almost never succeed in college, because it's a totally different game. If we hired Whisenhunt, we would be hiring a 56-year old coach with no relevant experience who has failed as a head coach when he's tried to do it in the past.

If the assistants make the difference, why even hire KW? Hire one of the younger, better college coaches and give them the stellar assistants! Hiring Whisenhunt is a program killer. There is no chance it ends well.

You know, I wonder if Stansbury is playing the PR game to his, and ultimately to GT's benefit.

After thinking about it, maybe Stansbury leaked word out that Whisenhunt is a candidate precisely because he KNOWS Whisenhunt isn't a good fit for GT and college game. Bear with me here. It's been made known that a bunch of big $$$ donors are backing Whisenhunt, and they want him at GT. Stansbury, being the politician, and not wanting to cut off money in the future from that group is playing along, saying all the right things, and even placating them by interviewing Whisenhunt. He's making a show of Whisenthunt, leaking word with every Whisenhunt development that it could be a reality. I find it REALLY odd that Whisenhunt's every move is documented if Stansbury is "in the dark" as he claims.

...all the while, GT nation is making it known we DON'T want Whisenhunt. This could be GT's Greg Schiano move, where enough ground swell happens at the fan level that the Jimmy Haslem's of the world (look up UT's search last year for the Schiano/Haslem reference) have no choice but to backtrack and look for another candidate. In the end, a small group of people, no matter how much money they have, can't make 40K people show up on Saturdays if we're not happy with who our coach is. Nothing worse for a coach than apathy to set in BEFORE he even coaches his first game. Unfortunately, that's what's going to occur if Whisenhunt is hired. He's going to have to hire a top tier innovative staff if he does get hired and wants to change perception.

Of course, could just be wishful thinking and GT is F'd as Whisenhunt is will be our new coach come next week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.