Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Don't know much about him but would like to know more about him. could be good.
Guy has had a ton of 5 stars to work with. Has no real experience building a team. Again, I hope Todd is smarter than the people talking in the media, and the people on this board (including myself)

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
NO WILLIE FRITZ. Struggled to win at Tulane. Had his best year this year, and they barely got to 6-6.
NO WHISENHUNT. In what world is a guy with absolutely no recruiting experience, and almost no college experience, a good fit to be a P5 HC?
Brown, Satterfield, Monken maybe. I would absolutely love Malzahn, though.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah...Baylor was a power house before he got there...building that program didnt require doing more with less....I will meet you at Hartsfield with a fire extinguisher :)

I'll smack that fire extinguisher out of your hand. :D

Briles has a brilliant mind and can lead a program, no doubt. And he did more with less (which is what I was referencing our next coach needs to do).

I work with a guy who played safety for him. And has stories. Of stuff. Really bad stuff.

I don't want a guy (and it could anyone) who is going to lead us to 9-3, 8-4, 9-3 type seasons then suddenly get canned and put us on 5 years probation. I dunno, maybe some of us on here would welcome that, because hey, at least it's winning!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Posted by georgia_tech_swagger on aonther Board...

From the "plausible, but total conjecture" file:

On the broadcast of UGAg vs GT the announcers openly asked if PJ would retire after this season, referencing a recent interview with Jeff Schultz. I was immediately like "huh?" and finally Googled something up in the AJC when PJ signed his latest contract extension through 2022. He told the AJC he didn't think he'd reach the end of that contract before he retired. As in regardless of W/L he wants to retire before 2022.

So why would Nate Woody, DC at Appalachian State, leave to take on a total shambles GT defense for a HC he knows has no more than 4 years left max when he has a terrific defense at App State and a HC destined for bigger jobs soon?

*place tin foil on head now*

Nate Woody came over as DC to ease the transition for the program so that Scott Satterfield can lean on his defense 2-3 years into being converted before he has to swallow the painful pill of wholesale change in offensive personnel that will likely lead to a VERY bad offense for at least 2 years. Those extra 2-3 years allow AI2020 to also be completed which includes a host of facilities improvements, a huge endowment increase, increased recruiting staffs and budgets, and more. Everything lines up almost TOO well.
04-deal.gif
More tin foil...

Georgia fires Mark Richt
Richt wants his ultimate revenge
Richt continues to beat CPJ while at Miami to put max pressure on CPJ
Richt tanks his last season at Miami, the same year CPJ decides to retire
The U fires Richt
Richt gets his golden parachute and also becomes the next GT HC
Richt puts on the GT gold adidas jersey that has yet to be revealed
Then he makes blue the official school color and we wear blue for all eternity

Oh, you thought the punchline would be about football? Nope, this is all about jerseys. Let's not let a HC search distract us from what's important.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
NO WILLIE FRITZ. Struggled to win at Tulane. Had his best year this year, and they barely got to 6-6.
NO WHISENHUNT. In what world is a guy with absolutely no recruiting experience, and almost no college experience, a good fit to be a P5 HC?
Brown, Satterfield, Monken maybe. I would absolutely love Malzahn, though.
It isn't always about the record. They moved into a better conference in 2013 or 2014. It's his third year and they've improved every year. Also they've been to 10 or 11 bowls in their ENTIRE history as a football program. He got them into one this year. The guy can coach. Now, can he recruit? Idk, I doubt he'd do worse than what we've been doing. Might not be much better, but I'd give Willie a shot for sure.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Why do some think that this change will be 3-4 years or rebuilding purgatory? Johnson took over a team not built for his offense and had arguably one of his best years. Look, I would take a couple of years of .500 to get away from the crap we’ve had and I can’t believe (unfortunately I really can) that some are thinking about coaches who run this same system. This is a 5+ year long decision for whoever gets brought in and it needs real thought.

17-18 year old young men / boys need to want to come here, have a coach with Dabo-esque excitement, positive message and can relate to them. That was not something Johnson could ever do or seemingly wanted to do.
This is what makes me nuts. If a kid wants to play for a guy like Swinney, guess what? He’s gonna go play for Swinney. We’re not gonna out-Clemson Clemson.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
More tin foil...

Georgia fires Mark Richt
Richt wants his ultimate revenge
Richt continues to beat CPJ while at Miami to put max pressure on CPJ
Richt tanks his last season at Miami, the same year CPJ decides to retire
The U fires Richt
Richt gets his golden parachute and also becomes the next GT HC
Richt puts on the GT gold adidas jersey that has yet to be revealed
Then he makes blue the official school color and we wear blue for all eternity

If this happens I will fly to where this server is hosted and burn down the message board and TP your house for prognosticating it.

:mad:

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
To everyone wanting Art Briles...some things are more important than football. Not only would I cancel my season tickets and never watch again...there's a chance I might rip up my degree:

The idea of Briles ever being associated with Standing Strong is infuriating, of course. He presided over a Baylor football team that terrorized women on the campus; one lawsuit claims “that 31 Baylor football players committed at least 52 acts of rape, including five gang rapes, between 2011 and 2014.” An investigation by the law firm Pepper Hamilton placed much of the blame for cultivating that culture on the football coaching staff and athletic department leadership, and Briles was fired.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/ar...e-sexual-assault-baylor-football-brenda-tracy

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'd fly to Atlanta and burn Briles' house down if he were hired. And then slap TS's hand for hiring him.
In my defense I was thinking someone like the coach at Syracuse who runs the same veer and shoot Briles ran.

I honestly know nothing about what happened at Baylor apart from: accusations from baylor, a libel suit by Briles, and then a settlement. It stinks too much to bring to GT, but I don't know what the real story there is.

Scubapro

Banned
I'll smack that fire extinguisher out of your hand. :D

Briles has a brilliant mind and can lead a program, no doubt. And he did more with less (which is what I was referencing our next coach needs to do).

I work with a guy who played safety for him. And has stories. Of stuff. Really bad stuff.

I don't want a guy (and it could anyone) who is going to lead us to 9-3, 8-4, 9-3 type seasons then suddenly get canned and put us on 5 years probation. I dunno, maybe some of us on here would welcome that, because hey, at least it's winning!

I am looking at name recognition in regards to recruiting. From the names kicked around on this board he is the only one with experience in building a program...all the others will be greeted with a sigh and will face huge uphill battle to recruit.
I am not a win at all costs fan...but I am basing my opinion on what I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.