Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
And recruiter I believe.
He hasn't been a coach very long (according to wiki, 1 season as an intern with Cowboys followed by 1 GA season and then RB coach at North Texas), it doesn't sound like there's much track record there to look back on. And apparently UNT ran an air-raid type spread offense (just basing on Littrell and the stats), I'm wondering if that's the direction Collins is looking to go. Curious who's being looked at for OC. Of course, my choice is a more run-based spread like what Bob DeBesse runs...I think that type of offense would flourish with the talent we have in place.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ironically Tech and Temple are tied for 23rd in the country in scoring offense this year and we finished 15th in the country in points per a drive, while they finished 16th. I know this doesn’t necessarily correlate, but if the offense roughly stays about as effective and the defense improves under a defensive minded head coach...then we’d be in pretty good shape. Big assumption, I know, but interesting.

I like your thinking but Temple does not play anyone even remotely like UGA and Clemson. Although, in the game I saw, Cincinnati passes the eye test of looking good coming off the bus even though Temple beat them.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you wouldn't even question someone firing DMo, then I don't believe you know DMo.

I dont know him i was gone before he was hired. But its really simple. You cant hire a new coach and start out with thall shall not. So. For me its up to him

I am not advocating dmo be gone. Don’t misunderstand. I was pointing out along with others could? He be gone?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If he brings the OC this is a comprehensive breakdown of the offense.

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/film-room-inside-look-at-temple-s-offense

It’s a run oriented spread that plays at different tempos. He does like to throw it so no more 6 pass attempts per game. More like 20. He does run option offense.

Yep. that is what I saw in the Cincinnati game. Seems like the starter the first couple of games was not getting it done and they changed quarterbacks. In the game I saw it was indeed a run oriented spread but they do throw it on short and quick routes. Receivers will need to be ready because that ball comes out in a hurry.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont know him i was gone before he was hired. But its really simple. You cant hire a new coach and start out with thall shall not. So. For me its up to him

I am not advocating dmo be gone. Don’t misunderstand. I was pointing out along with others could? He be gone?
You can't have an organizational culture without a list of thou shalt nots. For example, any GT coach will instantly and irrevocably lose my support and gain my enmity if he or she starts yanking schollys from injured players.

Why? First because it is wrong, but second because it would destroy what GT is and has been since the days of Heisman.

That Jack Welch let the CEO completely reinvent everything stuff is bunkum. In fact, GE's a company with a story nearly as old as GT's. Say, why don't I see it on the Dow in this morning's paper?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. But a cautionary note: Georgia Tech would be his 12th college coaching job in 22 years. One assumes he leaves the motor running, and Tech should make no retirement plans.

There is no such thing as a "destination job" anymore in the circus that college football has become but for someone like Geoff Collins who grew up in the Peach state as a Georgia Tech fan this is about as close as it gets. He will not be walking away from $14 million over 5 years because someone on an internet board is screaming about not passing (or running) the ball more.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Eh. I thought DMo was team chaplain which doesn’t count against us staff wise. At one point wasn’t he paid by alumni donations? if he was taking up a spot and we needed it I’m sure we’d just come up with a structure to keep him until he’s ready to relax. Look at bama. As long as you have money you can have a million staffers.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

TStan is THE boss of the AA. If he lets DMo go because of Collins....I done with season tickets. That would be moronic. DMo is an institution himself at Tech....smh at any reasoning in this direction.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It seems a little puzzling to me that from all indications only two candidates were interviewed. Clemson's Scott was called "a candidate" but that is beyond doubtful as nobody ever talked to him. More like message board hopes probably. But if the job is that desirable, where were the candidates?

I think that TStan knew in five minutes that he had found his man. Coach Collins is like that . Enthusiastic, can do spirit that is infectious. Understandable. Sometimes it jus t works like that, you interview someone and the bell rings "this is the one" It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.