Potential DC for Next Year

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I doubt Saban knew until the last few days. A month ago he sounded quite happy…
Both things can actually be true. I can explain how that works if you need me to.

In short, Key was given heads up two years ago. Saban would have said I obviously have to tell my team and associates first when it happens but you will know it’s coming when….
….and the code is given.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before, College Football is about the HC, first, and then the starting QB. If you have a TOP HC and an elite starting QB, everything else will follow. You can win occasionally with a decent HC, but long term success takes a special guy on top.
Urban Meyer disagrees with you. He has said that winning begins and ends with recruiting. And I've said this before: Give me the best OL in the country and an average QB and I'll give you the best QB in the country and an average OL, and all else being equal, I will beat you every time.

slugboy

Staff member
I doubt Saban knew until the last few days. A month ago he sounded quite happy…
He reportedly told Kirby at the SEC Championship that he was getting too old for this.

The guy is a workaholic. My two guesses are that he either decided his wife and family deserved some time, or he saw he wasn’t doing as good of a job as he was a few years ago.

But, if he knew at the start of the season, he’d have let the AD know

🆙 pure guesswork on my part

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seems like an announcement is imminent. Or it's going to leak. I don't know a name. But there's a lot of smoke and 3rd-4th hand from actual insiders there's a lot of excitement.

Did the groundhog see his shadow er not, BC?

Tell Me GIF by Nico Santos

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Did the groundhog see his shadow er not, BC?

Tell Me GIF by Nico Santos

I know absolutely nothing other than that people who know people who know people seem to think that Key has a hire and it's good. But it totally could be circular wish casting based on what he said on 680 yesterday.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
He reportedly told Kirby at the SEC Championship that he was getting too old for this.

The guy is a workaholic. My two guesses are that he either decided his wife and family deserved some time, or he saw he wasn’t doing as good of a job as he was a few years ago.

But, if he knew at the start of the season, he’d have let the AD know

🆙 pure guesswork on my part
Saban openly complained about NIL and the Transfer Portal. By requiring a transfer to sit out a year and no NIL, your recruits were normally around for at least 3 years. That gave you the time to develop your team which Saban was terrific at. In the current wild wild world, freshmen that have limited playing time or people who have signficantly improved and command substantial NIL money are highly likely to change teams. There is no loyalty and no ability to determine the makeup of your team from one year to the next. Also the signing period being moved up to December also makes recruiting conflict with your football season. It is so much more complicated than it was a few years ago.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I know absolutely nothing other than that people who know people who know people seem to think that Key has a hire and it's good. But it totally could be circular wish casting based on what he said on 680 yesterday.

Hey, that's more than what most of these blokes are bringing to the table. Your tea is approved ....

So Good Tea GIF by CBS

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Saban openly complained about NIL and the Transfer Portal. By requiring a transfer to sit out a year and no NIL, your recruits were normally around for at least 3 years. That gave you the time to develop your team which Saban was terrific at. In the current wild wild world, freshmen that have limited playing time or people who have signficantly improved and command substantial NIL money are highly likely to change teams. There is no loyalty and no ability to determine the makeup of your team from one year to the next. Also the signing period being moved up to December also makes recruiting conflict with your football season. It is so much more complicated than it was a few years ago.
Yep, and many here will defend that to the hilt.

RIP CFB.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I just saw a clip of Kirby and Nick talking before the Sec Champ game. Kirby was shaking Nicks hand and saying what a great coach Nick was and thanked Nick for everything Nick had done for him.
It sounded just like a farewell or goodbye to me.