Potential DC for Next Year

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, playing the game (because it's winter break for my family, and I don't have anything more interesting to do).

As far as things go, based on the motion on our defensive roster over the past month, I'm beginning to think Sherrer isn't the guy we'll have as DC next year.

1 - We're not seeing a substantial amount of defensive players coming in from the portal. To me, this suggests Sherrer may not be actively "shopping," most likely because we want the new DC to have the ability to fill the roster with his guys.

2 - It seems that we've lost a lot of players to the portal. Now, as some have suggested, this could be GT "processing" some of our weaker players in favor of replacing them - but it seems somewhat foolish to process players in an area where our roster is already sparse without another recruit lined up. Seems more likely that players both like continuity of their coaches, and they like to know who they're playing for.

3 - Key is on vacation this week. Which suggests it's either Sherrer, or we have someone else already lined up - similar to how Buster Faulkner was waiting in the wings last year until he finished up his other duties. As an executive, I can't allow myself to take a vacation - even a pre-planned one - if I've lost a key 2nd-in-command role, and time is of the essence in replacing them.

All of which is to say, I think signs point to us probably replacing Sherrer at DC, and that we've likely already decided on our person. If we are keeping Sherrer, it feels like we're really behind the curve on transfer portal recruiting. If we are replacing Sherrer at DC, I think we're pulling his replacement from one of the teams with remaining bowl games to be played. Here's who's up next, and who finished a bowl game over the past 24 hours:

Dec. 28
Rutgers
Miami
NC State
Kansas State
Arizona
Oklahoma

Dec. 29
Clemson
Kentucky
Oregon State
Notre Dame
Memphis
Iowa State
Mizzou
Ohio State

Dec. 30
Ole Miss
Penn State
Auburn
Maryland
Georgia
FSU
Toledo
Wyoming

Jan. 1
Wisconsin
LSU
Liberty
Oregon
Iowa
Tennessee
Alabama
Michigan
Texas
Washington

I crossed out a lot of teams whose DC's have changed, or been promoted to HC (which suggests their defensive staffs aren't likely to change). There's obviously still a lot of teams on the board with games left to play.

We also may not be searching for an existing DC, although my guess is we want someone with that experience. But there's also the possibility that we hire a position coach from some school - or a defensive analyst, seeing as how that worked out well for us the last time we did it. :cool:

Either way, all of the above is conjecture, based on a ton of assumptions, and any conclusion I make could easily fall apart if any one of the assumptions is wrong. Regardless, I feel like the remainder of this week will be quiet, followed by and interesting time of it next week. If we haven't heard anything about who the DC is after Tuesday, I think we'll have substantially narrowed down the field of who it could be.
After listening the hour plus Q&A, it seems highly likely we will get a new DC. From a players perspective, graduates probably don't want to go through a new coach and potential scheme change. Freshmen were recruited by coaches that are highly likely not to be here next year. The risky part of this is we aren't likely getring much in the remaining portal period now especially with school starting January 8th. That means we will be depending on a significant number of transfers in the spring and that seems very dangerous to me. But if Key already has a DC lined up and we are in the final throes of locking that up, hopefully they have a number of players they are envisioning coming to GT

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
After listening the hour plus Q&A, it seems highly likely we will get a new DC. From a players perspective, graduates probably don't want to go through a new coach and potential scheme change. Freshmen were recruited by coaches that are highly likely not to be here next year. The risky part of this is we aren't likely getring much in the remaining portal period now especially with school starting January 8th. That means we will be depending on a significant number of transfers in the spring and that seems very dangerous to me. But if Key already has a DC lined up and we are in the final throes of locking that up, hopefully they have a number of players they are envisioning coming to GT
Surely somebody has all this under control. 😊

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
One note about when school is starting. I also listened to the podcast and once Kelly understood that school doesn't start until Jan 8 and the last day to register is actually Jan 11 he backed off a bit on saying he thought we were done getting players who could be here for spring practice. He had thought school started earlier because the start of move-in for incoming guys is Jan 3. But then Russell pointed out the start of school and registration dates and Kelly said that maybe with that additional time it would still be possible to get a kid in for spring.

However, we MIGHT also be depending on a bunch of transfers who come in for the first time for fall practice beginning near the end of summer. Also consider that the next portal window opens up right after spring practice and there are always a few quality players jumping into the portal such as guys who might be very good players but have gone through coaching changes and don't like the change or guys at programs that have 5* players all over the place and are being recruited over.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, playing the game (because it's winter break for my family, and I don't have anything more interesting to do).

As far as things go, based on the motion on our defensive roster over the past month, I'm beginning to think Sherrer isn't the guy we'll have as DC next year.

1 - We're not seeing a substantial amount of defensive players coming in from the portal. To me, this suggests Sherrer may not be actively "shopping," most likely because we want the new DC to have the ability to fill the roster with his guys.

2 - It seems that we've lost a lot of players to the portal. Now, as some have suggested, this could be GT "processing" some of our weaker players in favor of replacing them - but it seems somewhat foolish to process players in an area where our roster is already sparse without another recruit lined up. Seems more likely that players both like continuity of their coaches, and they like to know who they're playing for.

3 - Key is on vacation this week. Which suggests it's either Sherrer, or we have someone else already lined up - similar to how Buster Faulkner was waiting in the wings last year until he finished up his other duties. As an executive, I can't allow myself to take a vacation - even a pre-planned one - if I've lost a key 2nd-in-command role, and time is of the essence in replacing them.

All of which is to say, I think signs point to us probably replacing Sherrer at DC, and that we've likely already decided on our person. If we are keeping Sherrer, it feels like we're really behind the curve on transfer portal recruiting. If we are replacing Sherrer at DC, I think we're pulling his replacement from one of the teams with remaining bowl games to be played. Here's who's up next, and who finished a bowl game over the past 24 hours:

Dec. 28
Rutgers
Miami
NC State
Kansas State
Arizona
Oklahoma

Dec. 29
Clemson
Kentucky
Oregon State
Notre Dame
Memphis
Iowa State
Mizzou
Ohio State

Dec. 30
Ole Miss
Penn State
Auburn
Maryland
Georgia
FSU
Toledo
Wyoming

Jan. 1
Wisconsin
LSU
Liberty
Oregon
Iowa
Tennessee
Alabama
Michigan
Texas
Washington

I crossed out a lot of teams whose DC's have changed, or been promoted to HC (which suggests their defensive staffs aren't likely to change). There's obviously still a lot of teams on the board with games left to play.

We also may not be searching for an existing DC, although my guess is we want someone with that experience. But there's also the possibility that we hire a position coach from some school - or a defensive analyst, seeing as how that worked out well for us the last time we did it. :cool:

Either way, all of the above is conjecture, based on a ton of assumptions, and any conclusion I make could easily fall apart if any one of the assumptions is wrong. Regardless, I feel like the remainder of this week will be quiet, followed by and interesting time of it next week. If we haven't heard anything about who the DC is after Tuesday, I think we'll have substantially narrowed down the field of who it could be.
Dear god please anyone but Oklahoma

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Surely somebody has all this under control. 😊

Criminal Minds Jj GIF by CBS

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't want muschamp
Muschamp wouldn't be a bad hire. IMO that would be a slam dunk hire. Only thing to worry about is him leaving at the end of the season for a bigger DC job or HC position.

Therefore, hiring a G5 or lower P5 DC would be more ideal. The one name I keep hearing that is floating around is DJ Durkin. He would be my top choice if I was in CBK shoes.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Muschamp wouldn't be a bad hire. IMO that would be a slam dunk hire. Only thing to worry about is him leaving at the end of the season for a bigger DC job or HC position.

Therefore, hiring a G5 or lower P5 DC would be more ideal. The one name I keep hearing that is floating around is DJ Durkin. He would be my top choice if I was in Keys shoes.
Absolutely ****ing not. Muschamp sucks, do not want him associated with our program.

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
Absolutely ****ing not. Muschamp sucks, do not want him associated with our program.
He was a very successful DC. That doesn't mean he would be a great HC.

As a DC he has been successful everywhere he has gone. Now do I think he is one that is being thought of! NO! But if he was I would not be disappointed.

I think Durkin is probably the leading canidates for the job IMO.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

As a DC he has been successful everywhere he has gone. Now do I think he is one that is being thought of! NO! But if he was I would not be disappointed.

He's a POS and a mutt through and through

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Here's an article from back when Durkin was fired at Maryland. It's not ESPN+ content and I don't have a login to ESPN and I was able to read it so I don't think there's a paywall: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...rapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Quinlan seems to suggest he wouldn't be a candidate if they weren't satisfied with his rehabilitation as a person/coach.

It's Quinlan's job to pump GT sunshine up everyone's butt. Sorry, but anyone making $$$ by having stay in the good graces of players and coaches or they get information withheld from them I don't trust as neutral source. In the video he seems to intimate that Collins was a joke 3-6 months into the job as our HFC...but did he actually say that during the whole 3+ years? No, because he knows Collins and GT would have cut him off. You think he's going to be honest about Durkin if he knows Key is serious about hiring him?

Durkin is a cancer. He hasn't stayed anywhere for more than 1-2 years outside of his stint at Florida almost a decade ago.

No thank you to Durkin. There's a lot of quality DCs out there that GT doesn't have to go down that road.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss and A&M fans both seemed very glad that Durkin moved on from their programs. I have never known of Tech to hire a coach with past issues like he has and don’t expect us to start now.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Quinlan seems to suggest he wouldn't be a candidate if they weren't satisfied with his rehabilitation as a person/coach.
I understand that. Some folks don't know why he is in the position to need rehabilitation of his career. That's why I posted the link.

If he is a candidate then I would imagine Brent is at least interested enough to do his due diligence and I have complete faith that he will.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he did a dang good job with what he had. And who knows, with a spring and fall, he may implement an entirely new scheme.
I agree. He was using the exact same players, but we actually looked serviceable on D the last few games.

We do know that we have to bring in a few new position coaches, at a minimum. Word on the skreets is that there will be some interviews after the holidays - but everyone is so tight lipped nowadays (probably a good thing) that it's hard to pry info out.