Potential DC for Next Year

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As amazing as it is that it took the players six months to figure out MoBS, it is still even more amazing that 3 years after his hire people were still quoting his BS about CPJ leaving the team bereft and an offensive line that weighed 260.

What an amazing debacle this period was for Tech, including journalists knowing all the rumors from Temple but not having an appropriate way to share those.

slugboy

Staff member
As amazing as it is that it took the players six months to figure out MoBS, it is still even more amazing that 3 years after his hire people were still quoting his BS about CPJ leaving the team bereft and an offensive line that weighed 260.

What an amazing debacle this period was for Tech, including journalists knowing all the rumors from Temple but not having an appropriate way to share those.
Based on the quote from OLeary, I assumed TFG had gotten glowing references from everyone. If the search committee (not just Stansbury) ignored that, it’s a bigger problem than the AD.

Back to the DC search
  • Key is on vacation—and he deserves a vacation
  • Since he’s the HC, the hiring process depends on him
  • We won’t hear anything this week
  • We will keep talking anyway

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
LOL. CPJ still playing chess while MoBS playing checkers. Incoming "HC" lies about outgoing coach and outgoing coach labels him MoBS. Incoming coach gets unceremoniously fired and outgoing coach gets honored for induction into CF HoF.

Bonus: The very next two weeks after MoBS is fired the IHC wins two IAR for the first time since HoF coach retired, and the very year after he's fired the new HC posts winning season with first bowl win since HoF coach retired.

The trend line of W's is this from 2016-23: 9 - 5 - 7 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 5 - 7 - ....

There is literally a spoon-shaped depression during his term. What a maroon.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Based on the quote from OLeary, I assumed TFG had gotten glowing references from everyone. If the search committee (not just Stansbury) ignored that, it’s a bigger problem than the AD.

Back to the DC search
Don't forget the wink-wink info about the D-line coach

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Back to the DC search
Blah
Blah
Blah
I'm all in.....

I think the lack of noise around Sherrer may be a sign that a bigger change is out there. It's no condemnation of the work he did. I've thought from the beginning, if we can significantly upgrade him, we should do so.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have faith in Coach Key. Most (all?) of his hires last year were good. Some of the retentions didn't seem to pan out. But I can imagine plenty of reasons for why he chose to keep those people: money, contracts, continuity, team chemistry/morale. Whatever the staff decisions are, I trust they will help the team.

The defense is looking thin. A few players will be tougher to replace. But I don't think we've lost any players that have a strong 'wins above replacement'. That is, I think we can find comparable production from the portal. And possibly upgrades in a several spots.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Back to the DC search

When Collins was named GT HFC, I remember Stansbury discussing the process of interviewing and hiring Collins. I'll always remember Stansbury saying, and I have zero desire to find the exact words, that when Stansbury and the hiring committee interviewed Collins, they wanted to make sure what Collins was telling them wasn't a recruiting pitch and what he's saying was real...basically, Stansbury wanted to make sure he didn't fall for a great sales pitch.

Holy cow, if that didn't define the entirety of the Collins tenure. One giant recruiting pitch that never saw any payoff on the field...and those words would come back to haunt Stansbury.

If you want to know why Cabrerra put a guy who had zero college sports administration in charge of finding a new AD (which turned into Batt) and went outside the GTAA, the hiring process of Collins is great example. Stansbury's regime was basically a walled garden and Stansbury had people in place that would just rubber stamp Stansbury's decisions.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL. CPJ still playing chess while MoBS playing checkers. Incoming "HC" lies about outgoing coach and outgoing coach labels him MoBS. Incoming coach gets unceremoniously fired and outgoing coach gets honored for induction into CF HoF.

Bonus: The very next two weeks after MoBS is fired the IHC wins two IAR for the first time since HoF coach retired, and the very year after he's fired the new HC posts winning season with first bowl win since HoF coach retired.

The trend line of W's is this from 2016-23: 9 - 5 - 7 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 5 - 7 - ....

There is literally a spoon-shaped depression during his term. What a maroon.
So 9 wins next year?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
With more starters on the defensive side jumping to the portal today (KJ Wallace and D'Quan Douse) it sure seems like the players know something we don't know.
Of course they do, but it's probably nothing alarming or sudden that they haven't known for weeks. Not sure about KJ Wallace but Douse has graduated. Before this transfer portal era these guys leaving the team caught fans by surprise but now this type of attrition is expected. By the end of spring there will be more.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Back to the DC search
Before he went I called him after a few beers and told him I would look into who would be the best DC for us. He hung up on me so I guess he wanted me to find a new DC.
Hint ( I’m looking for with hair)

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, playing the game (because it's winter break for my family, and I don't have anything more interesting to do).

As far as things go, based on the motion on our defensive roster over the past month, I'm beginning to think Sherrer isn't the guy we'll have as DC next year.

1 - We're not seeing a substantial amount of defensive players coming in from the portal. To me, this suggests Sherrer may not be actively "shopping," most likely because we want the new DC to have the ability to fill the roster with his guys.

2 - It seems that we've lost a lot of players to the portal. Now, as some have suggested, this could be GT "processing" some of our weaker players in favor of replacing them - but it seems somewhat foolish to process players in an area where our roster is already sparse without another recruit lined up. Seems more likely that players both like continuity of their coaches, and they like to know who they're playing for.

3 - Key is on vacation this week. Which suggests it's either Sherrer, or we have someone else already lined up - similar to how Buster Faulkner was waiting in the wings last year until he finished up his other duties. As an executive, I can't allow myself to take a vacation - even a pre-planned one - if I've lost a key 2nd-in-command role, and time is of the essence in replacing them.

All of which is to say, I think signs point to us probably replacing Sherrer at DC, and that we've likely already decided on our person. If we are keeping Sherrer, it feels like we're really behind the curve on transfer portal recruiting. If we are replacing Sherrer at DC, I think we're pulling his replacement from one of the teams with remaining bowl games to be played. Here's who's up next, and who finished a bowl game over the past 24 hours:

Dec. 28
Rutgers
Miami
NC State
Kansas State
Arizona
Oklahoma

Dec. 29
Clemson
Kentucky
Oregon State
Notre Dame
Memphis
Iowa State
Mizzou
Ohio State

Dec. 30
Ole Miss
Penn State
Auburn
Maryland
Georgia
FSU
Toledo
Wyoming

Jan. 1
Wisconsin
LSU
Liberty
Oregon
Iowa
Tennessee
Alabama
Michigan
Texas
Washington

I crossed out a lot of teams whose DC's have changed, or been promoted to HC (which suggests their defensive staffs aren't likely to change). There's obviously still a lot of teams on the board with games left to play.

We also may not be searching for an existing DC, although my guess is we want someone with that experience. But there's also the possibility that we hire a position coach from some school - or a defensive analyst, seeing as how that worked out well for us the last time we did it. :cool:

Either way, all of the above is conjecture, based on a ton of assumptions, and any conclusion I make could easily fall apart if any one of the assumptions is wrong. Regardless, I feel like the remainder of this week will be quiet, followed by and interesting time of it next week. If we haven't heard anything about who the DC is after Tuesday, I think we'll have substantially narrowed down the field of who it could be.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Before he went I called him after a few beers and told him I would look into who would be the best DC for us. He hung up on me so I guess he wanted me to find a new DC.
Hint ( I’m looking for with hair)
Erik Russell wouldn’t pass your interview process?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Okay, playing the game (because it's winter break for my family, and I don't have anything more interesting to do).

As far as things go, based on the motion on our defensive roster over the past month, I'm beginning to think Sherrer isn't the guy we'll have as DC next year.

1 - We're not seeing a substantial amount of defensive players coming in from the portal. To me, this suggests Sherrer may not be actively "shopping," most likely because we want the new DC to have the ability to fill the roster with his guys.

2 - It seems that we've lost a lot of players to the portal. Now, as some have suggested, this could be GT "processing" some of our weaker players in favor of replacing them - but it seems somewhat foolish to process players in an area where our roster is already sparse without another recruit lined up. Seems more likely that players both like continuity of their coaches, and they like to know who they're playing for.

3 - Key is on vacation this week. Which suggests it's either Sherrer, or we have someone else already lined up - similar to how Buster Faulkner was waiting in the wings last year until he finished up his other duties. As an executive, I can't allow myself to take a vacation - even a pre-planned one - if I've lost a key 2nd-in-command role, and time is of the essence in replacing them.

All of which is to say, I think signs point to us probably replacing Sherrer at DC, and that we've likely already decided on our person. If we are keeping Sherrer, it feels like we're really behind the curve on transfer portal recruiting. If we are replacing Sherrer at DC, I think we're pulling his replacement from one of the teams with remaining bowl games to be played. Here's who's up next, and who finished a bowl game over the past 24 hours:

Dec. 28
Rutgers
Miami
NC State
Kansas State
Arizona
Oklahoma

Dec. 29
Clemson
Kentucky
Oregon State
Notre Dame
Memphis
Iowa State
Mizzou
Ohio State

Dec. 30
Ole Miss
Penn State
Auburn
Maryland
Georgia
FSU
Toledo
Wyoming

Jan. 1
Wisconsin
LSU
Liberty
Oregon
Iowa
Tennessee
Alabama
Michigan
Texas
Washington

I crossed out a lot of teams whose DC's have changed, or been promoted to HC (which suggests their defensive staffs aren't likely to change). There's obviously still a lot of teams on the board with games left to play.

We also may not be searching for an existing DC, although my guess is we want someone with that experience. But there's also the possibility that we hire a position coach from some school - or a defensive analyst, seeing as how that worked out well for us the last time we did it. :cool:

Either way, all of the above is conjecture, based on a ton of assumptions, and any conclusion I make could easily fall apart if any one of the assumptions is wrong. Regardless, I feel like the remainder of this week will be quiet, followed by and interesting time of it next week. If we haven't heard anything about who the DC is after Tuesday, I think we'll have substantially narrowed down the field of who it could be.

This is excellent work, TG. I mean excellent work. But, i gotta tell ya, Quinlan's video answers a lot of your questions if you have a chance to listen.

Long story long, sounding like it's almost assuredly not Sherrer. And Key's absence is pre-planned. I'm assuming there's some travel involved, couldn't be moved maybe? Also said 2 candidates have yet to be interviewed. That could jive with your bowl participants. Could be why there was no sense or urgency to move Key's vacation.

Just adding some color. Best part of the video was Quinlan explaining how his Uga fanhood was killed by him actually getting to know some of the people he had been rooting for....

Sounds about right, Kelly.