Potential DC for Next Year

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
You’re pressing for news or announcement on DC on Christmas. I said I hope they are with their families instead of working on a DC announcement.
I didn’t ask when they were going to announce it. I asked if anyone here has inside info. The decision has already been made apparently.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think there’s a huge difference between the two situations. In Thacker’s case, we’d seen a Thacker-led defense for years. And it was proven to be more bad than good. We saw a Sherrer-led defense for a few weeks — and it was more good than bad.

As a thought exercise, let’s say their situations were similar, and Sherrer is our DC entering 2024. Sherrer just proved, via an apples-to-apples comparison, that he’s a better DC than the DC we had entering 2023. Obviously a low bar, but I personally like the guarantee that if we do keep Sherrer, we’ll be better coached going into 2024 than we were going into 2023. Their on-field results with the same players and same head coach prove it imo.

I don't think there's a "huge difference" at all. Thacker's defense had a tangible difference after Collins left. At the end of 2022, our DFEI was #41. This year, our ending DFEI was #85...and keep in mind, Scherrer was promoted to full DC after the Bowling Green game which was the 6th game of the season. Also keep in mind, Scherrer was the Co-DC, so he was "in the kitchen cooking" the whole time as well.

My overall point about the sentiment regarding Scherrer was as a fanbase, we need to let Key make the decision, and not base it off a few good games by the defense. Let's not forget how we felt about Thacker at the end of 2022.

Like I said, Key has seen first hand behind the scenes what's needed for GT's DC. If Scherrer is indeed the DC for us going forward, Key has earned enough capital to make that call.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm all in for what our HC decides to do, and especially since I have no idea of the circumstances surrounding the hire. Who is available, money available, what type defense he wants to run, recruiting, present coaches he wants to keep and a possible myriad of other input info that I and I suspect most on here have very little idea about at this time.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind that at the very least, the two defensive coaches who were recently “moved to office duties” are likely to be replaced.

Please note, I said at the very least. There might be more changes on the defensive coaching staff … who knows?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Thacker had a decent defense after cgc was fired in ‘22, he also had Keion White, Charlie Thomas, and Ace to play with, without those guys in ‘23 his defense was a dumpster fire. I’m not sure how much we improved statistically after Thacker was demoted but it definitely seemed like the tackling got a lot better. I believe Thacker taught try to rip the ball out on every play instead of just getting the guy down.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Any chance that Key hires a up and coming successful DC from a smaller school outside of a P5 program? This might give him a greater amount of say in to whom the new DC brings with him? Or do you think that he has to go big with this hire and get someone who has a proven track record due to another year of setbacks we’ve had defensively due to keeping Thacker on staff? That move by Key always surprised me to say the least. Perhaps it was a less expensive solution which freed up funds to secure other coaches for various positions and hopefully now Key has a larger budget to work with given our current success and positive momentum headed into next year. Thoughts?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Do we get more portal/recruits after our defensive staff is finalized? With the promise of a potential top of the league offense for next year seems to me that GT could be a really good opportunity for a few more outstanding defensive prospects to come and make a name for themselves and be a part of a potential championship team.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Any chance that Key hires a up and coming successful DC from a smaller school outside of a P5 program? This might give him a greater amount of say in to whom the new DC brings with him? Or do you think that he has to go big with this hire and get someone who has a proven track record due to another year of setbacks we’ve had defensively due to keeping Thacker on staff? That move by Key always surprised me to say the least. Perhaps it was a less expensive solution which freed up funds to secure other coaches for various positions and hopefully now Key has a larger budget to work with given our current success and positive momentum headed into next year. Thoughts?
Did I miss something? Did we fire our current DC?

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow

Do we get more portal/recruits after our defensive staff is finalized? With the promise of a potential top of the league offense for next year seems to me that GT could be a really good opportunity for a few more outstanding defensive prospects to come and make a name for themselves and be a part of a potential championship team.
DC at James Madison has good resume for two year in P5

Top 25 in scoring defense last two years
Top 15 in sacks last two years
Top 10 in tackles for loss (#1 to this year)
Top 5 in rushing defense last two years

CousCous

Georgia Tech Fan
DC at James Madison has good resume for two year in P5

Top 25 in scoring defense last two years
Top 15 in sacks last two years
Top 10 in tackles for loss (#1 to this year)
Top 5 in rushing defense last two years
I think this is Bryant Haines who was just hired at Indiana.