Potential DC for Next Year

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, we good?

If so, let's talk coaching. I still think we make more changes on defensive staff even if Sherrer stays as DC.
Opening Season

DC: Thacker
Co-DC, LBs: Sherrer
DL: Coleman
DBs: Tillman

Mid-Season

DC/LB: Sherrer
S: Thacker
CB: Tillman

Post-Season

S/CB: covered by Ricky Brumfeld + 2 GAs

Off-Field positions: Thacker/Tillman

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Opening Season

DC: Thacker
Co-DC, LBs: Sherrer
DBs: Tillman

Mid-Season

S: Thacker
CB: Tillman

Post-Season

S/CB: covered by Ricky Brumfeld + 2 GAs

Off-Field positions: Thacker/Tillman
Seems like a very thin Defensive Staff all year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Till last 3 quarters of bowl game, I was for spending money on named brand dc.

With reduced rotation of DL the players were playing faster as the game progressed. ( lockett, kelly, harris, douse). Perhaps the old school interim dc has voided the (IMO),excessive substitution policy that strove for "for near peak physical speed". TFG and TFDC would give out the stats on playing time. Seeing Lockett learn game speed was great.

The 2 LB got way better as the game went along. They did not have more than 2 lb the whole game , (Tatum did not play).

I am good with what key does, but i hope we keep the interim dc on staff.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe Brent Key earned the HC Job after the way the team responded when he took over last year and I believe Kevin Sheerer has earned a chance being the DC but I also trust Brent Keys decision making and I’ll be confident in whatever decision he makes. It’s awesome watching coaches stepping up and earning a coaching position. I do believe we have our DC.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Till last 3 quarters of bowl game, I was for spending money on named brand dc.

With reduced rotation of DL the players were playing faster as the game progressed. ( lockett, kelly, harris, douse). Perhaps the old school interim dc has voided the (IMO),excessive substitution policy that strove for "for near peak physical speed". TFG and TFDC would give out the stats on playing time. Seeing Lockett learn game speed was great.

The 2 LB got way better as the game went along. They did not have more than 2 lb the whole game , (Tatum did not play).

I am good with what key does, but i hope we keep the interim dc on staff.
Don't say interim.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He was named Co Offensive Coordinator from the day he was hired. May have been a way to pay him a higher salary or Key saw the handwriting on the wall with Thacker. Or both.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I believe Brent Key earned the HC Job after the way the team responded when he took over last year and I believe Kevin Sheerer has earned a chance being the DC but I also trust Brent Keys decision making and I’ll be confident in whatever decision he makes. It’s awesome watching coaches stepping up and earning a coaching position. I do believe we have our DC.
I also appreciate the fact that Key puts team goals and performance above loyalty to friends on the coaching staff.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m all for keeping Sheerer in the role, given that he’s demonstrated effectiveness. More broadly, I think a program like ours needs to build coaching consistency so that we can build an execution advantage. We are not going to have a talent advantage (at least, for HS recruiting) so our program needs something different. Keeping coaches for longer lets us keep schemes and build execution proficiency over time, which is a way to build advantage. Similar to Wake’s approach.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How would we compare Sherrer to Charles Kelly? Both took over mid season and had mixed results. Consensus back in 2012 was to keep Kelly onboard, but FSU came calling, so that was that. Kelly was also believed to be our best recruiter and had great relations with the players. Not sure about Sherrer in those regards.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm getting end of 2022 season Thacker vibes for wanting to keep Sherrer.

I'll trust Key's judgement regardless if he keeps Sherer at DC or if KS goes back to just coaching LBs. He's earned it with how we closed this season and the masterful pick of Faulkner for OC. However, a lot of this is eerily similar to our sentiment about Thacker the end of last year.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

I'll trust Key's judgement regardless if he keeps Sherer at DC or if KS goes back to just coaching LBs. He's earned it with how we closed this season and the masterful pick of Faulkner for OC. However, a lot of this is eerily similar to our sentiment about Thacker the end of last year.
I think there’s a huge difference between the two situations. In Thacker’s case, we’d seen a Thacker-led defense for years. And it was proven to be more bad than good. We saw a Sherrer-led defense for a few weeks — and it was more good than bad.

As a thought exercise, let’s say their situations were similar, and Sherrer is our DC entering 2024. Sherrer just proved, via an apples-to-apples comparison, that he’s a better DC than the DC we had entering 2023. Obviously a low bar, but I personally like the guarantee that if we do keep Sherrer, we’ll be better coached going into 2024 than we were going into 2023. Their on-field results with the same players and same head coach prove it imo.

Techfiend

Georgia Tech Fan
I think there’s a huge difference between the two situations. In Thacker’s case, we’d seen a Thacker-led defense for years. And it was proven to be more bad than good. We saw a Sherrer-led defense for a few weeks — and it was more good than bad.

As a thought exercise, let’s say their situations were similar, and Sherrer is our DC entering 2024. Sherrer just proved, via an apples-to-apples comparison, that he’s a better DC than the DC we had entering 2023. Obviously a low bar, but I personally like the guarantee that if we do keep Sherrer, we’ll be better coached going into 2024 than we were going into 2023. Their on-field results with the same players and same head coach prove it imo.

I wouldn't say we saw more good than bad, However, I think we saw improvement when Sherrer took over. Was it enough improvement? I don't know. What I do now is that we need to get better at tackling, and in defeating blocks. I honestly don't know what kind of impact a coach can have taking over in midseason, but I know enough to trust Key's decision making on this.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say we saw more good than bad, However, I think we saw improvement when Sherrer took over. Was it enough improvement? I don't know. What I do now is that we need to get better at tackling, and in defeating blocks. I honestly don't know what kind of impact a coach can have taking over in midseason, but I know enough to trust Key's decision making on this.
To me the biggest key, no pun intended, is for the DL to get off blocks and disrupt at the LOS. Far to often our DLs first move is to raise up where the OL can then easily move them left or right opening up lanes for the RBs. Hard to tell if it is coaching or simply a talent issue? That area is a Must improve though!

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I think I phrased it wrong. It wasn’t more good than bad on the average college football defense scale. It was more good than bad on the GT defensive scale that had been established by Thacker.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

It is just so VERY difficult to judge where the primary weakness is. Coaching or players. We clearly have a DL, LB problem that coaching can only do so much about. I personally don't have a clue. Key will make what he thinks is the right decision. He did great with the OC choice.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

The only person who had a sentiment about keeping Thacker after last season was Key. And since Key is the only one who matters he was kept. Key has admitted his error and moved on. As for the current guy, it’s up to Key so I don’t care either way. My preference is to always have a mix of assistants who some can coach and some can recruit.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The only person who had a sentiment about keeping Thacker after last season was Key. And since Key is the only one who matters he was kept. Key has admitted his error and moved on. As for the current guy, it’s up to Key so I don’t care either way. My preference is to always have a mix of assistants who some can coach and some can recruit.
I agree on the 2 - find talent and teach.
I add -a game planner and adjusting to give us a chance against mega p5.

CPJ could see everything that was happening and adjust. We almost always scored on opening drive second half.

In Loiusivlle game I was furious about game adjustments - foot of gas and bend but dont break. . Only gt game I've ever left early.

However , key got us straight by the end of year. I loved the way buster ran offense this year.
In ucf the BOTTOM RANKED RUN DEFENSE adjusted and shutdown the ucf offense.

I think key said he was very pleased w the adjustments, especially with being 2 coaches short!

In Angel, the guy that hired Batt, Batt , and Key we trust.

Go Jackets