Potential DC for Next Year

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I have a friend wo is connected to the GTAA as well. They are much more tight lipped since Batt took over, but I can confirm everything @AugustaSwarm has said here with one addition: not all of the interviews have been for defensive staff.

What I have been led to believe is that Key is expecting several coaches to either move on or be moved on, and is interviewing possible replacements.

Hoping that Buster, McKenzie and Weinke are all still here next year. I would love to see the improvement in year 2 in Buster’s system and I think Weinke is one of the more underrated QB coaches in P5.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
CBK has said categorically he expects change on the staff in places, but that he won't be addressing anything until after the bowl game.

ETA: The new administration doesn't play the same leaky game as previous regimes. The professionalization that JBatt has brought is on full display here.
Well.. that aged poorly after the leak.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Hoping that Buster, McKenzie and Weinke are all still here next year. I would love to see the improvement in year 2 in Buster’s system and I think Weinke is one of the more underrated QB coaches in P5.
I think we see Buster leave after another good year next year for a G5 HC job or top-15 OC job, and Weinke takes the reins of the offense in 2025. Buster has been really good but he hasn't shown enough yet to get hired for the TAMU, Penn State, or Oklahoma OC vacancies (all of which are already filled), and going to an open Colorado or Mississippi St or Pitt OC spot is more or less a lateral move.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think we see Buster leave after another good year next year for a G5 HC job or top-15 OC job, and Weinke takes the reins of the offense in 2025. Buster has been really good but he hasn't shown enough yet to get hired for the TAMU, Penn State, or Oklahoma OC vacancies (all of which are already filled), and going to an open Colorado or Mississippi St or Pitt OC spot is more or less a lateral move.
I would think UGA or Bama would hire him as OC. I would hope he and family like where they are in Atlanta and he likes the idea of building the program back. Money talks though. He might be ready for a HC job rather than lateral move as OC.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I would think UGA or Bama would hire him as OC. I would hope he and family like where they are in Atlanta and he likes the idea of building the program back. Money talks though. He might be ready for a HC job rather than lateral move as OC.
UGA and Bama are likely happy to run it back with Mike Bobo and Tommy Rees. Both OCs have done a good job this year with young inexperienced QBs but not so good that they are ready to move on to a HC/NFL job. Fortunately there's just not much turnover right now - that could change but usually the coaching carousel settles in by bowl season.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
UGA and Bama are likely happy to run it back with Mike Bobo and Tommy Rees. Both OCs have done a good job this year with young inexperienced QBs but not so good that they are ready to move on to a HC/NFL job. Fortunately there's just not much turnover right now - that could change but usually the coaching carousel settles in by bowl season.

Bobo has been a HC before. He might not get another HC offer in the near future so uga could possibly keep him gainfully employed for quite some time yet.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Excellent. Where does it say in that article or quote from Key that Sherrer is an interim DC? His quote was “…I do feel that a new voice and perspective from the coordinator role is necessary for us to improve,” Key said. “Coach Sherrer is a veteran coach that has had great success in all aspects of coaching defense and at the highest levels of football. I’m confident in his ability to lead our defense and achieve the improvement that we expect and demand.”

I am not saying we won’t have a different DC now, I’m saying I don’t understand why everyone assumes Sherrer is the interim DC. He’s never been described by anyone, journalist or administrator, as an interim DC. That’s an assumption GT fans have put forth.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Excellent. Where does it say in that article or quote from Key that Sherrer is an interim DC? His quote was “…I do feel that a new voice and perspective from the coordinator role is necessary for us to improve,” Key said. “Coach Sherrer is a veteran coach that has had great success in all aspects of coaching defense and at the highest levels of football. I’m confident in his ability to lead our defense and achieve the improvement that we expect and demand.”

I am not saying we won’t have a different DC now, I’m saying I don’t understand why everyone assumes Sherrer is the interim DC. He’s never been described by anyone, journalist or administrator, as an interim DC. That’s an assumption GT fans have put forth.
The articles title says, "GT promotes Sherrer to DC." Not sure what more you want.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
The articles title says, "GT promotes Sherrer to DC." Not sure what more you want.

He's saying that its not an interim change, but a more permanent one. Like when TFG was fired, Brent Key was given the "interim" role very specifically cause we had a head coaching search at the end of the year. Specifically, the "interim" title has not been said anywhere, so this change could not be interim and was a permanent change. We could get a new DC, but this title of "interim" has never directly been said, is what the poster is saying.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
He's saying that its not an interim change, but a more permanent one. Like when TFG was fired, Brent Key was given the "interim" role very specifically cause we had a head coaching search at the end of the year. Specifically, the "interim" title has not been said anywhere, so this change could not be interim and was a permanent change. We could get a new DC, but this title of "interim" has never directly been said, is what the poster is saying.
Arguing over the term "interim" is pedantic.