Potential DC for Next Year

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Is this a move that CBK makes after the bowl game or ASAP?

And, of course, I guess it will depend on whether his target is bowling, also.

The cynic in me will think this happens after the bowl game, because then the players for the 2024 class would have signed their letters of intent by then. I’m assuming we’d hear stuff this week if there is changes before the bowl game, otherwise it’ll be after.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
It lets the coaches try to finish out the season on a high note before they are let go though, if they are retained through the bowl game.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Only rumors, but I have heard from a friend of a friend of a guy who's dog goes to the same vet as the dog belonging to the mother of the nanny for a well connected donor's college roommate that we are replacing every defensive coach except MAYBE Marco Coleman.
That is hilarious yeti. Best post of the day / month / year. LMAO

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I would think, if no announcement by this week then likely nothing is changing at the DC position? Portal opens on Monday next week right ?
I would be very surprised to hear anything before the bowl game. In fact the only reason I could see us making an announcement before either of the signing days is if we had a guy that Brent wanted very badly and was ready to make the jump and that Brent thinks would make a big positive for immediate recruiting. Both of those comments assume that a change would be made. I'm not 100% sure that we'll make a change. In fact if Brent doesn't think there's a BETTER option then I think he won't make a change just to make a change.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would be very surprised to hear anything before the bowl game. In fact the only reason I could see us making an announcement before either of the signing days is if we had a guy that Brent wanted very badly and was ready to make the jump and that Brent thinks would make a big positive for immediate recruiting. Both of those comments assume that a change would be made. I'm not 100% sure that we'll make a change. In fact if Brent doesn't think there's a BETTER option then I think he won't make a change just to make a change.

After signing day is usually when you see the most movement in terms of assistant coaches.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think Sherrer was thrust into a situation without the time to make a huge impact - and he made a pretty decent impact anyway. Give him an offseason (and a bunch of bowl practices) and he will have his shot.

He may not be the perceived homerun hire many on this board want, but his resume is no joke. I would be ok keeping him on.
This. Judging a coach who game in during the season seems impulsive. Also, as has been said many times, we don’t have the athletes yet that we need on defense.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If we were to hire an off field coach(a la Faulkner last year) or a fired coach(arnett), we may announce before bowl game without them being on the field/staff. Have to make room if we bring in an outsider, but would let position coaches put feelers, and get it out there to potential portal players

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t He was Co DC all season?

Can't really say how much that matters unless you are really close to the program. He might have given a lot of advice to Thacker but ultimately wanted to run the defense much differently if he were in charge. Changing things dramatically mid season would have been a nightmare. Not sure how Sherrer would do things on his own, but I'd have plenty of hope for different results if he were named full time DC.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Sherrer was thrust into a situation without the time to make a huge impact - and he made a pretty decent impact anyway. Give him an offseason (and a bunch of bowl practices) and he will have his shot.

He may not be the perceived homerun hire many on this board want, but his resume is no joke. I would be ok keeping him on.
Sherrer's resume is very impressive. Stints at SEC schools as both position coach and coordinator. Stints in the NFL. Dude has the resume...I was calling him a home run hire when Key brought him in board. I stand by it.

The fact that Key hired him makes me tend to think he'll get a shot at running the show. I would think that the fate of rest of the defensive staff is up to whomever gets the DC gig. I'm okay with it being Sherrer, as long as he has the autonomy to bring in who he wants.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sherrer's resume is very impressive. Stints at SEC schools as both position coach and coordinator. Stints in the NFL. Dude has the resume...I was calling him a home run hire when Key brought him in board. I stand by it.

The fact that Key hired him makes me tend to think he'll get a shot at running the show. I would think that the fate of rest of the defensive staff is up to whomever gets the DC gig. I'm okay with it being Sherrer, as long as he has the autonomy to bring in who he wants.

I like Sherrer as a coach. He's overseen an improvement by the defense. I just hope he can recruit.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

I've been riding the fence on this one. Ultimately, I think he earned the right to be in the mix. It really depends on what an upgrade might look like. In the same fashion, Key made good calls on the offensive side. If he can rinse and repeat, our team really benefits.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Resume wise we’re probably not going to find anybody more impressive than Sherrer. I believe the only way we could find a better DC than him is if we hired a young up-and-comer that is unproven at the P5 level, and that would involve pretty heavy risk. The job is Sherrer’s to lose or turn down IMO. But Key was able to get him here, so if Key goes out and brings in somebody else I’ll be on board.

Just FWIW here’s some DC salaries around the league
Kevin Sherrer - Georgia Tech: $450k
Wes Goodwin - Clemson: $850k
Adam Fuller - Florida State: $1.2M
Gene Chizik - North Carolina: $1.035M
Co-DCs - Louisville: $700k each ($1.4M total)
Tony Gibson - NC State: $1.25M
Chris Marve - Virginia Tech: $825k
Peter Sermon - Cal: $910k

Glenn Schumann - Georgia: $1.9M
Jesse Minter - Michigan: $950k
Jim Knowles - Ohio State: $1.9M
Phil Parker - Iowa: $1.35M
Pete Kwiatowski - Texas: $1.7M
Co-DCs - Washington: $725k each ($1.45M total)
Roan Lupoi - Oregon: $1.7M
Pete Golding - Ole Miss: $1.9M
Blake Baker - Missouri: $1.4M
Ted Roof - Oklahoma: $1.15M
Darin Hinshaw - UCF: $600k
Greg Gasparato - Troy: $300k
Andrew Thacker - Georgia Tech: $650k

If Sherrer is retained as the full-time DC, I’d expect to see a pretty large bump in salary. At least up to what Thacker was making, probably closer to $750k. We’re still extremely far behind what everyone else is paying their coaches, and if we’re going to hire (or retain) good ones, it’s going to come at a cost.

slugboy

Staff member
For some of the coaches being recommended, what makes them good? What are they good at? What are they good at today?

TFG was supposed to be a DB “whisperer” who brought “mayhem”, and we saw how that worked out. Deion was supposed to bring good defense, but Colorado’s defense was worse than ours, even with star defensive players on it. Name recognition is great and all, but does it really mean the coach brings something we need?