Potential DC for Next Year

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Let me put it this way, he is pretending that he wants a Rocky Mountain high in Atlanta.

Ahhhh, ok. That little trouble maker ...

What if we hired a coach with lock-down NFL-caliber defensive skills whose son is also a decent QB? Where would that leave us?

<running and ducking>

Randy! Get over here, Randy! Why I oughta....

fist shake GIF

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not sure a new DC is needed but if I had money to get someone who will coach TF out of a defense I would look at Jon Sumrall, presently HC at Troy. He is making 1M base and filling his pockets with performance bonuses there. Seems like he knows what he's doing though.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I would think, if no announcement by this week then likely nothing is changing at the DC position? Portal opens on Monday next week right ?

slugboy

Staff member
I would think, if no announcement by this week then likely nothing is changing at the DC position? Portal opens on Monday next week right ?
Good continuity is a big deal for a coaching staff. We lost a good coach last year because of the coaching carousel—he ended up as a DC at another school.

I’d like our defense to take the kind of strides our offense did this season. Hopefully, Sherrer is the guy to do that. He was a mid-season switch, though.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Good continuity is a big deal for a coaching staff. We lost a good coach last year because of the coaching carousel—he ended up as a DC at another school.

I’d like our defense to take the kind of strides our offense did this season. Hopefully, Sherrer is the guy to do that. He was a mid-season switch, though.
The only downside I see to this, is that I don’t feel amazing about Sherrer. He’s done a good job turning around the defense for sure, but he isn’t some amazing DC. There’s still gaps in our D.

I wouldn’t mind going out and getting a proven DC that can also recruit decently. Not necessarily some big name, but even a proven D2 or D3 guy wouldn’t hurt.

We just need some better run defense/DL.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
The only downside I see to this, is that I don’t feel amazing about Sherrer. He’s done a good job turning around the defense for sure, but he isn’t some amazing DC. There’s still gaps in our D.

I wouldn’t mind going out and getting a proven DC that can also recruit decently. Not necessarily some big name, but even a proven D2 or D3 guy wouldn’t hurt.

We just need some better run defense/DL.
I think Sherrer was thrust into a situation without the time to make a huge impact - and he made a pretty decent impact anyway. Give him an offseason (and a bunch of bowl practices) and he will have his shot.

He may not be the perceived homerun hire many on this board want, but his resume is no joke. I would be ok keeping him on.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Only rumors, but I have heard from a friend of a friend of a guy who's dog goes to the same vet as the dog belonging to the mother of the nanny for a well connected donor's college roommate that we are replacing every defensive coach except MAYBE Marco Coleman.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Only rumors, but I have heard from a friend of a friend of a guy who's dog goes to the same vet as the dog belonging to the mother of the nanny for a well connected donor's college roommate that we are replacing every defensive coach except MAYBE Marco Coleman.
I have heard the same rumor but my source is not as credible and not as close to our program like yours.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think Sherrer was thrust into a situation without the time to make a huge impact - and he made a pretty decent impact anyway. Give him an offseason (and a bunch of bowl practices) and he will have his shot.

He may not be the perceived homerun hire many on this board want, but his resume is no joke. I would be ok keeping him on.
Wasn’t He was Co DC all season?