Potential DC for Next Year

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We need some portal DE’s who can get to the QB, and a couple of solid LB’s to compliment Efford. I think Key will make an evaluation and decision on Sherrer at the end of the season, and it will be a tough one, but in the end he will do what he thinks will bring maximum improvement and wins going forward.
Your analysis is right on IMO, Kennard (DE) and Efford (KB) are serviceable but need help. Biggers can play and defensive backfield is not bad but will miss JKing. Tackling of DBs has improved which I doubted as possible in season, kudos to coaches. Also seem to be better positioned than under Thacker. Thacker meant well but his chaotic style confused and honetly some of his schemes were bad schemes. Who they get - don't know.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t hate the idea of keeping Sherrer. He is experienced and seemed to do some good things once he took over. Our biggest issues are with talent. I’m sure Key will interview multiple options including Sherrer.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sherrer was certainly better than Thacker, it seems. The defensive communication seemed to clearly be better as we progressed through the season.

That said, 'better than Thacker' is the floor, not the goal. So I wouldn't be mad at having a process whereby we hire the best available.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t hate the idea of keeping Sherrer. He is experienced and seemed to do some good things once he took over. Our biggest issues are with talent. I’m sure Key will interview multiple options including Sherrer.

I haven't seen many instances where our defense looked outschemed since Sherrer took over. During the Collins years, outside of a few games like UNC at Mercedez Benz, we just looked clueless.

As you said, our issues have been more personnel and talent level than scheme. Against UGA last night, they just put a hat on a hat and run on us.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't seen many instances where our defense looked outschemed since Sherrer took over. During the Collins years, outside of a few games like UNC at Mercedez Benz, we just looked clueless.

As you said, our issues have been more personnel and talent level than scheme. Against UGA last night, they just put a hat on a hat and run on us.
Agreed…uga outmatched us but they’ve done that to everyone. BC and Clemson are really the only games under Sherrer I thought the defense looked lost.

If Key finds a perfect candidate then I’m all for upgrading but I think Sherrer can build on what we have and it will help with continuity and recruiting to keep things somewhat stable.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Sherrer was certainly better than Thacker, it seems. The defensive communication seemed to clearly be better as we progressed through the season.

That said, 'better than Thacker' is the floor, not the goal. So I wouldn't be mad at having a process whereby we hire the best available.
At least we know the floor has been raised. Before the switch the floor was allowing 438 yards to Bowling Green. A number they only eclipsed 2 other times this year against the vaunted defenses of FCS Eastern Illinois and Kent State.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
At least we know the floor has been raised. Before the switch the floor was allowing 438 yards to Bowling Green. A number they only eclipsed 2 other times this year against the vaunted defenses of FCS Eastern Illinois and Kent State.

You had to bring this back up?

Sad Cartoon GIF

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Really need to recruit light-years better on the defensive line and LBs.

Efford has been a pleasant surprise at LB, and Tatum has improved some over the past few games. But we need to get a bunch of stud run-stuffers and sack-meisters along the DL to help them out.

slugboy

Staff member
About our defense this season, Akelo Stone and Zamari Walton transferred out in the Spring, and they were going to be keystones and leaders of the defense. They were both publicly bought in on the team and Key as coach. I think Key wasn’t prepared for this. I think he will be prepared this time around.
We lost a few other players, but those two were impact players.
I would take Rocky Long as an advisor (and Dino Babers as an Offensive advisor) if they are looking for something less than a full coaching position. I’d take Rocky Long as a DC. I’d have to think Syracuse’s staff is gone after the season, and there are a few good coaches on that staff.

Our defense got better when Sherrer took over. Our secondary got better when Thacker took over the safeties. Correlation doesn’t equal causation, but that’s all the info we have. Thacker catches a lot of heat on this forum, but coaches and players seem to like him. After his demotion, I do wonder if we’ll keep him after this season. I do expect changes in the coaching staff—it’s the nature of college football that people move into new positions—so we’ll probably have someone new on the coaching staff somewhere. How we arrange our coaches is a question.

We also may not know how Sherrer “wants” to play defense. We spent half of the season trying to get basics down pat. We’ll probably use a lot of the bowl prep to continue to work on the basics, but maybe we start to add something new.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
About our defense this season, Akelo Stone and Zamari Walton transferred out in the Spring, and they were going to be keystones and leaders of the defense. They were both publicly bought in on the team and Key as coach. I think Key wasn’t prepared for this. I think he will be prepared this time around.
We lost a few other players, but those two were impact players.
Between Stone, Jared Ivey, Jordan Domineck, and Zamari Walton, Tech’s defense lost out on 12 sacks, 2 INTS, and a forced fumble. That’s a ton of production and experience that really could’ve made a huge difference in our outlook this year. Granted Ivey and Domineck left before Key became the full-time HC, maybe all 4 wouldn’t have left if Tech was in the position we are now. We came out net positive in the portal on the offensive side of the ball, and way negative on the defensive side. Have to find a way to come out neutral or net positive on both sides of the ball this year.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
As I said earlier, I won’t lose sleep if Scherer is retained, but I don’t think we’ve improved enough to give him the job without looking at other candidates, first. Having said that, regardless of who the DC is, I’m afraid it’s obvious that it’s the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s more than the X’s and O’s. If we can get a few key Defensive players in the portal, it would make the world of a difference.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would think Scherer didn't have time to make any big changes to the defense in mid season. He may have been the reason Efford was playing as a starter. Any real change will be done in the spring.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
As I said earlier, I won’t lose sleep if Scherer is retained, but I don’t think we’ve improved enough to give him the job without looking at other candidates, first. Having said that, regardless of who the DC is, I’m afraid it’s obvious that it’s the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s more than the X’s and O’s. If we can get a few key Defensive players in the portal, it would make the world of a difference.
Scherrer seems a competent coach for the defense, but his perceived ability as a recruiter will be a big factor as to whether he's retained as DC. I believe Brent has shown that if he thinks he can improve the team in any way, that's what he'll do. He won't stand pat out of inertia.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If there’s someone out there available who is a proven good to great DC then I don’t think Key can afford to risk giving Sherrer another year. Imo he didnt show enough improvement to get the job unless there’s no better option or money is not available to upgrade

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Between Stone, Jared Ivey, Jordan Domineck, and Zamari Walton, Tech’s defense lost out on 12 sacks, 2 INTS, and a forced fumble. That’s a ton of production and experience that really could’ve made a huge difference in our outlook this year. Granted Ivey and Domineck left before Key became the full-time HC, maybe all 4 wouldn’t have left if Tech was in the position we are now. We came out net positive in the portal on the offensive side of the ball, and way negative on the defensive side. Have to find a way to come out neutral or net positive on both sides of the ball this year.
I just don't understand how losing those players, however great they were, we still managed to rank 119th in total defense. That means there are 118 teams out there with a better defense. Players or coaches? I don't know.

slugboy

Staff member
I just don't understand how losing those players, however great they were, we still managed to rank 119th in total defense. That means there are 118 teams out there with a better defense. Players or coaches? I don't know.
Don’t use total defense for that kind of comparison. We played some of the best offenses in football, while a lot of other teams had schedules built around some of the weakest.

As of last week, we’re 81st in FEI (we could look at other opponent adjusted defensive ratings). https://www.bcftoys.com/2023-dfei

I’m not saying it’s good, but we’re in the same range as UNC, USC, South Carolina, and Florida’s. And it’s not good, but it’s not the bottom 10 in football.

We lost one of our best defensive linemen. We swap out Biggers on third down. Even just Akelo Stone could have made a big difference.