Postseason Chances?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Also, Syracuse has likely played itself into the bracket or the first 4 off with 3 straight wins over Top 15 teams.
Syracuse is just like us. Can play against anyone at home but struggles on the road. We can beat them at home. We just need to steal one win in the road. I think Miami is our best shot. We have to win 4 in a row.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse is just like us. Can play against anyone at home but struggles on the road. We can beat them at home. We just need to steal one win in the road. I think Miami is our best shot. We have to win 4 in a row.

Syracuse is nothing like us. They have firepower to hang with/beat anyone in the country. Talent wise they are a top 25 team but trying to make Gillon a PG is like calling a Zebra a Pinto.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
This week shows that last week was fools' gold. Just enough to raise expectations, then fall back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because losing to two top 35 teams on the road with half of the roster sick/injured is something to be ashamed of?

Think people sometimes forget how much of a gauntlet the ACC is. Even great teams go through winless stretches. Just the way the conference is. Personally, I don't think this week showed anything about last week being "fools gold".

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Last week was certainly not fool's gold. It is what this team is capable of with a healthy roster, and especially at home. This week is what we expected the entire season to look like.

Buzzgolf14

Georgia Tech Fan
Because losing to two top 35 teams on the road with half of the roster sick/injured is something to be ashamed of?

Think people sometimes forget how much of a gauntlet the ACC is. Even great teams go through winless stretches. Just the way the conference is. Personally, I don't think this week showed anything about last week being "fools gold".

Maybe a poor choice of words, but I think it did raise expectations higher than what is realistic. In December, 5 ACC wins seemed unattainable. Now, these losses are disappointing. Time will tell which end of the spectrum we end up on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is Jerry Palm's Latest bracketology.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...tucky-fading-at-4-seed-syracuse-last-team-in/

He has Syracuse as his last team in (if you look at GT's and Syracuse's profile you can make arguements for which team should be considered higher. - I suspect the final factor for Palm at this point was Syracuse's higher win count - we just have alot of losses for a team with still 7 to play).

Wake and GT are both in his first four out. GT one spot in front of Wake in his.
The link for the bracket is in a box to the right.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I maintain our @VCU win will come in realllllly handy if we can stay in the NCAA picture. And we can thank St. Bonaventure's students for making sure our VCU win continues to look nice and shiny.

St. Bonaventure's would-be game-winner ruined by technical for premature court storm

Agree with @RamblinRed that GT and Syracuse's resumes are basically the same. I think our one good road win is a differentiator right now and will be if we stay on the bubble. Better than ND at home imo.

lover1971

Georgia Tech Fan
You know in all honesty, being a "true die hard jacket fan", I'm happy with what "there is to come". We obviously can see better coaching brings better results. Now all we need is talent, which all the top notch programs have. Tech basketball is back, and Atlanta (especially our Falcons) is back on the map. Go Tech and Go Falcons!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The easiest thing to remember is, with 1 month to go until the tournament, everything is within GT's control. Doesn't matter what other teams do between now and Selection Sunday. If we take care of business, we're in.

Easier said than done, but I digress.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
The easiest thing to remember is, with 1 month to go until the tournament, everything is within GT's control. Doesn't matter what other teams do between now and Selection Sunday. If we take care of business, we're in.

Easier said than done, but I digress.
It's a good point though. Around this point last season, the only good win we had was Notre Dame. Even with the win streak we went on, the only chance we had before the ACC tournament was beating Louisville on the road. Didn't matter how we did against everyone else. Right now, we have the quality wins. At this point, we don't have to rely on going on a run in the ACC tournament. We can wrap everything up in the regular season. As you said, "easier said than done."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's a good point though. Around this point last season, the only good win we had was Notre Dame. Even with the win streak we went on, the only chance we had before the ACC tournament was beating Louisville on the road. Didn't matter how we did against everyone else. Right now, we have the quality wins. At this point, we don't have to rely on going on a run in the ACC tournament. We can wrap everything up in the regular season. As you said, "easier said than done."

FWIW, we beat #4 UVA last year on January 9. The ND win wasn't till near the end of February so your point still stands.

We finished the regular season last year 19-14 (8-10). With 7 real games left, we're 13-10 (5-6). It is unlikely that we'll get to 19 wins, but we can have a better conference record by winning our remaining 4 home games (BC, Syr, NC St, Pitt: tough ask but not unreasonable). It's also possible for us to get a W from @Mia, @ND, and @Syr. I think we should win at least 3 of our 4 home games giving us the same conf record as we had last year.