Postgame GT 48 : SCST 13

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t understand how the DL cannot get push against these guys. I refuse to accept that SCst OL is physically superior to our DL.
Are we playing an attack gap defense or read and react. With so much holding allowed now, an engage/react DL is at a disadvantage.
I have always had my doubts about Thacker. I just don't think he has had enough mentoring. He was LB coach at Temple, promoted by Collins last year there (Duke destroyed them in their bowl BTW), and DC with Collins when he came here. Not enough experience with other programs IMHO. Stats the end of the year will tell. He was DC for two major upsets and several total blowouts. We will find out in November.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think I saw what apparently everybody else did. I think our offense is going to be fine. I think we will score 25 plus almost every game. But I think our defense is going to give up a bunch of points this year.

We are getting very little pressure on the QB. Everybody knows against better Qb's that is going to create huge plays against us. We can't ask our CB's to cover 5 plus seconds.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We just don’t have any alpha males on defense. No aggression. We let every thing come to us. Constantly moving back and getting pushed around. It’s been this way for years. Our linemen look fat and slow. Our linebackers are no shows and our secondary lets you catch the ball and then they attempt to tackle but miss a lot of the time.
Key needs to clean house on the defensive coaching staff and hiit the transfer portal hard. It’s going to be another long season.

slugboy

Staff member
we had some good push last year cause of keion white being a legit DE who is gonna be a big part of the pats d this season but i agree for the most part we have not had edge rushing production in years
Keion White drew double teams. That moved his numbers down, but made everyone else more effective

I watched the DL in the second half. No double teams were needed

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We did what we needed to do, win without it even being close, plus we got the back ups some PT.

Strong points:
a. RBs
b. WRs
c. 2nd FG kicker
d. Punt returner
e. QB, but.........

Weak points:
a. DL- major concern
b. Secondary- will their tackling ever improve?

King has had 2 good games under his belt and his timing appears to be improving with the live game reps, but he misses quite a few reads, has really odd footwork and his throwing motion seems slow. He's mobile & that helps a lot. He's clearly the best we have & he's blessed to have a stout WR corps. He'll win us some games.

Man, do we ever have RBs. Not sure who I like the best because I like them all.

We stacked with WRs. Singleton will be special.

Hopefully we found a FG kicker.

Oh my, Thacker has got a mess on his hands. I'm not sure anyone on D is playing well.

We're where we expected, but not where we hoped. I'm glad we chanegd what we did, we may need to change some more.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
What do I think?

I think the good guys won, and we got to break open the victory bourbon.

1694306809656.jpeg

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
don't you guys think GT looks small, slight even? In the eyeball test, compared to Ole Miss we look to take a serious tale whoopin' next week. I don't think we will make it respectable AT ALL. What say ye?
At what position? I don’t think we look small at all. In fact this is the most size we have had on the Defensive Line in years.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
don't you guys think GT looks small, slight even? In the eyeball test, compared to Ole Miss we look to take a serious tale whoopin' next week. I don't think we will make it respectable AT ALL. What say ye?
Ole Miss has 1/3 of our what should be defense playing for them. They also have Pete Golding as their DC. Watch UT vs. Bama last year and watch the clinic Hueupel put on him. I know a ton of Bama fans and have heard he can be abused and won’t adjust.