Postgame GT 48 : SCST 13

slugboy

Staff member
Offense scored a lot. They should have.
Defense gave up 13. That wasn’t good.

Wide receivers look great. The lines, not so much.

Advanced stats probably will be underwhelming.

Ole Miss is winning right now.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Was generally happy with the offense. Not perfect certainly but very good. Compared to recent years, it is a pleasure to watch our offense.
Defense…yuck. When S C State can push your D line back 5 yards up the middle at will…not good. No real pass pressure (again). Our D will get carved up by good offenses.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
offense looks decently competent. tackling still concerning. I feel confident that Ole Miss won't blank us again this year

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
Happy for the win, but we're not going to win very many games with this defense. No sacks...gave up almost 200 yards rushing....defensive line gets manhandled by SC State. Not good! On the other hand, the offense looks pretty good!

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m praying for a lot of the last three quarters D being score effects, and for winning a bunch of shootouts this year.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
if we are going to win with our defense, they are going to have to recreate the wheel. Crazy schemes, blitz packages, coverages. Something that is looked back on and studied
Do I think that’s going to happen? No. But maybe we can engineer something.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The offense looks like it will be decent, as long as we can cut out the stupid mistakes like Cooley's fumble at the goal line or Dontae's facemask penalty. King played well, but we left a lot of points on the board. Singleton looks legit, excited about him. It seems Birr will be the kicker going forward, hopefully he continues to make them. I would have liked to see Pyron get a full half, but can somewhat understand that we weren't exactly putting SC State away until the 4th.

Other then Kyle Kennard, I'm really not impressed with anyone on our defense so far. Tackling was again poor. Not very aggressive, lots of letting guys catch the ball, letting the ball carrier come to them to be tackled instead of attacking, not wrapping up and just trying to hit em with your shoulder. Whoever is #1 stood out to me, and not in a good way.

Are refs being told to call holding less and less every year? It seems to have to be insanely egregious to get called anymore, a clear handful of jersey stretched out behind a player is not enough anymore.

I found it interesting that SC State was by far the most effective offensively when running the option. Thankfully they didn't stick to that all game.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Aside from needing to play perfect next week, there may be a sliver of hope that Old Piss looks ahead to Bama week 4. Unlikely, but they did effectively mercy-rule us last year.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Glad to have the win. O looks decent but has some mistakes to clean up. D can be run on, but bows up when needed. We are 8/26 on 3rd down so far this season as a defense. That is something to continue to build around. Ole Miss will be tough next week, but I think it will be a closer game than expected.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh and if we continue to clean up our mistakes and improve week to week,everyone left on the schedule looks potentially beatable (even Ole Miss, Clemson, and UGA)

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
don't you guys think GT looks small, slight even? In the eyeball test, compared to Ole Miss we look to take a serious tale whoopin' next week. I don't think we will make it respectable AT ALL. What say ye?

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
don't you guys think GT looks small, slight even? In the eyeball test, compared to Ole Miss we look to take a serious tale whoopin' next week. I don't think we will make it respectable AT ALL. What say ye?
That may be what happens, but it's why we play the game. Until Ole Miss proves it doesn't phase them on Sept 16, then we should plan to go play our game, punch them in the mouth, and show the disdain for playing in Mississippi held by Dodd. I expect we'll lose by 7-10 points, but they'll know that we came to take no prisioners.

JacketFan137

Banned
pyron throwing a pick was disappointing i wanted to see him get some more time.

defense we just aren’t generating any edge pressure and good qbs are gonna be a problem until we can get their jerseys dirty