Post week 7 bowl projections

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
The 6 win requirement has been waived this year. With some conferences only playing 6-8 games, there’s no way it would hold up. I’m sure bowl games will be instructed to target teams with winning records first, but if a selection came down to a 5-6 or even a 4-7 Georgia Tech team and a 3-3 MAC team, Tech probably gets the nod.
Agreed. I'd rather see a 6-5 Tech team though!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The second team will likely be Florida which I am fine with, I just don't want Bama or Georgia in. But even still, screw the Big 10 I feel like they yanked football thinking everyone would follow suit and then backtracked when SEC, ACC, and Sunbelt decided they weren't going to cancel football. They decided to start late and play less games too bad so sad for them should have been the mindset, but we all know money talks and that is why they were allowed back into contention for the CFBP.

Bama will be in. If the Big 10 is left out, the winner of UF and uga would get in, if the season plays out as expected, otherwise. I wish Florida was ready, but I am not optimistic.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I just don't think a losing record should go to a bowl. Yes you get a little more practice but it hasn't seem to help much so far this year. And as far as the ACC if they want us to take an invite great I'm sure we will lose more money going to a bowl but it's ok we have so much money now what is an extra cost of $100,000.00 mean to Tech.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ahhh, I see you're problem. You assumed that the season started last week and only saw one game.
no, I have seen every game the year but still don't think a team with a losing record no matter who should go to a bowl game.
I guess all the players should also get a trophy this year for playing.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Bama will be in. If the Big 10 is left out, the winner of UF and uga would get in, if the season plays out as expected, otherwise. I wish Florida was ready, but I am not optimistic.
I think Florida's offense will do to ugag what Alabama just did. The only caveat is Florida probably won't stop Georgia.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
no, I have seen every game the year but still don't think a team with a losing record no matter who should go to a bowl game.
It’s an exhibition game that the program gets money to appear in, along with extra practice and game time for a young, rebuilding program. What difference does it make if there’s a team with a losing record in a bowl game? What’s the difference in a 6-6 team playing in the Quicklane Bowl than a 9-3 team playing in the Outback Bowl? The CFP renders all non-playoff bowl games meaningless, so if that’s how you feel what’s the point in playing any of the bowl games that aren’t in the CFP?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

That's boomer as hell.

A trophy doesn't mean anything. A bowl game means extra practice time, which has tangible benefits.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It’s an exhibition game that the program gets money to appear in, along with extra practice and game time for a young, rebuilding program. What difference does it make if there’s a team with a losing record in a bowl game? What’s the difference in a 6-6 team playing in the Quicklane Bowl than a 9-3 team playing in the Outback Bowl? The CFP renders all non-playoff bowl games meaningless, so if that’s h ow you feel what’s the point in playing any of the bowl games that aren’t in the CFP?
Check the bowl payouts vs the team expenses you lose money on small bowls

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You do understand there is a difference between being in year 8 or 9 of a system vs year 2 of a completely new one with a true freshman QB?
First when have I said I didn't like this team or the coaches I love Sims I plain and simple do not think a losing record should go to a bowl . any team.And yes I know the difference in year 8 or year 2 I have had season tickets since 1981. I opt out this year cause I had knee replacement surgery and was not sure if I could walk but I did give my $3 k to Tech to keep.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
If a big 10 team can get into the playoffs with 8 wins, I have absolutely no problem going to a bowl with any wins. Especially when we need/want as much as practice as we can get

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Check the bowl payouts vs the team expenses you lose money on small bowls
Yes, small schools take an initial hit due to the expenses related to bowl games. But the conferences receive a payout for every team they have that meets APR or bowl eligibility requirements. So the schools that take that initial hit will make the bulk of that deficit back up after conference payouts are distributed.

The key factor here is the vast majority of schools that are only breaking even or losing money on bowl games are G5 schools. That’s because the bowls that their conferences are tied into are lower tier games, meaning the payouts are less. Tech will not lose money if they choose to accept a bowl bid. Worst case scenario is a net zero profit/expense ratio and we still get an extra game with extra practice time.

The most costly expense of a bowl game is the travel and lodging. Followed by mandatory ticket purchases. With the virus going around the bowl organizers and local sponsors will likely put a hold on the extra curricular activities that are usually involved with bowl games. Meaning the amount of time a team will stay in the host city will probably decrease by at least 1 day, if not a couple of days. That significantly reduces the costs involved. It’s doubtful the bowl games will open ticket sales to more than 25% or so of the host site’s capacity, with almost all of those tickets going to the team’s families. If anything the expense to profit ratio of bowl games will shift more towards profit this years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
First when have I said I didn't like this team or the coaches I love Sims I plain and simple do not think a losing record should go to a bowl . any team.And yes I know the difference in year 8 or year 2 I have had season tickets since 1981. I opt out this year cause I had knee replacement surgery and was not sure if I could walk but I did give my $3 k to Tech to keep.

None of this has anything to do with the topic at hand.