Post Practice 4/14

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we lose one of our first three games, it's time for CPJ to leave and Roof to take over. I don't think we will lose any of them because the team's performance after MTSU..... But it shows that the Kool-Aid is everywhere in the Spring.

I always think of Stonewall as stoned since that's how I knew him first on GTSportsTalk/BBuzz. :cry:;)

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
- Team in shorts today

- Back to pads Wednesday

- Got a lot of guys back today still a lot out

- Waller, Smelter, Gamble were all back

- CPJ said KeShun Freeman has had a good Spring...he's been impressed by him from the first time he's seen him. Said he has good feet and a good motor.

- Said Zach Laskey has had a really good Spring and has matured

- Marcordes, Gotsis, Mason and Nealy have had good Springs

- Needs Dennis Andrews to be more consistent

- Broderick Snoddy is staying at A back...CPJ said he wants to be more consistent but A back gives him the best chance.

- Said he hopes Deon is fix and ready for the Fall as we are counting on him.

Freeman was my pick as #1 def recruit last yr- he dominated some in a tough league
I can't see how Bostic or Zenon come back- limited PT if Hill returns
btw -Eric,
do you know what format is planned for Spg game?Do we split team?
I believe uM actually ran a 7-7 game! no linemen

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll have our hands full with GSU. If we win, it'll be because of the D. That's usually how it works for these kinds of games.

Oth, I think they'll probably run for 280 - 300 on us and make it quite interesting. If they could go 323 on Bama, they can do at least that well on us. If we perform at the same level, we win by 2 TDs or so. If we don't, well …

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll have our hands full with GSU. If we win, it'll be because of the D. That's usually how it works for these kinds of games.

Oth, I think they'll probably run for 280 - 300 on us and make it quite interesting. If they could go 323 on Bama, they can do at least that well on us. If we perform at the same level, we win by 2 TDs or so. If we don't, well …
Different offense - Different coach

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Different offense - Different coach

yep. if monken was still with the eagles and running the flexbone i could pretty much tell you what southern has on O. but, with the new coach and a shotgun option the team's in transition and who really knows how things will shake out? it's uptempo, too. the fact they have a veteran line and very fast backs certainly helps. speed/quickness in the backfield never hurts. it was strange to watch a different O philosophy this past weekend being so used to the option. but, i've gotta say, i do like to see the gun and more passing.

the bigger problem will be manning up on D to stop GT and whether the war of attrition will sap their will. of course, they've seen their fair share of the option in practice and live versus the SoCon teams (Wofford, The Citadel) who run the option. southern's kicking game has been in shambles the past few years as well. they need major strides in this area.

southern plays NC state to start the season. something to watch to see what they have.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

You're basing they will run for 280-300 on us from a gama in 2011? That would be like me saying well I am not worried about Georgia Southern because they only run for 135 yards against App St back in 2011.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
The coach for gsu is from Sam Houston - they were very good at passing.
Be ready for passing as a part of offense.

The eagles will definitely pass more than under Monken but they'll still be run heavy since the team is geared more for a ground game. Fritz has already said this. He's stoked about the team speed he's inherited. He's not used to having so many speedy skill players. Looks like Kevin Ellison who was QB in their win over Florida is in the lead for QB but there are three other guys in the mix with each bringing something to the table.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think Southern will be highly competitive in their league, even after moving up. I think they could jump up on some team looking past them and make it a close game, especially if they didn't have a new coach and new offense. There's no way CPJ is looking past Georgia Southern. Ain't gonna happen. This game won't be close.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Southern will be highly competitive in their league, even after moving up. I think they could jump up on some team looking past them and make it a close game, especially if they didn't have a new coach and new offense. There's no way CPJ is looking past Georgia Southern. Ain't gonna happen. This game won't be close.

even with the announcement of a new head coach and transition to a new offense, southern's recruiting class ranked 1st among all teams in the sunbelt. not a bad introduction to the new conference. you gotta make it to the "big leagues" somehow, even if it is the sunbelt. let's see if the southern fanbase now puts their money where their mouth is with regards to the move up.

as for CPJ overlooking the eagles, i don't think he personally has overlooked any opponent. yes, even MTSU. the players and al groh, on the other hand, that's a different story! i think this year's team will gel better than previous teams. just hope this translates to the field.

i don't think i'm going out on a limb suggesting that anyone expecting a monumental, recording breaking beatdown against southern most likely won't see it. unlike kansas, syracuse, and other teams the jackets have abused just through routine option plays, southern's players have a lot of experience versus the triple option. this ain't their first rodeo so familiarity alone makes a big difference. they know to attack the option and force the issue. not sit back and let it pick you apart. now, if CPJ comes out chunking the ball who knows? but, i think we all know the odds of that happening are slim to none. either way, both programs have a number of unanswered questions at this point and lots of work to do before next season to put together a complete product on the field.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Never underestimate the enemy. Ever! We should expect to have to play well. I have coached enough games to know that anything can, and very often does, happen in a contest in pretty much every sport. I take nothing for granted.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Never underestimate the enemy. Ever! We should expect to have to play well. I have coached enough games to know that anything can, and very often does, happen in a contest in pretty much every sport. I take nothing for granted.

yep. the great erk russell used to say every week, "he's scared to death . . ." of the next opponent--even versus teams that had no prayer. college football can be one helluva a crap shoot. most teams are a few injuries or a couple of poor decision suspensions away from being severely handicapped if the right kids are sidelined.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think MTSU went a long way to waking these guys up regarding taking any team lightly. There are still too many kids that were part of that team for them to tune the coach out in that regards.

I still don't think it will be a close game. I think there's still too big a disparity in talent. That may change, but it still exists. I think this team has too many potential playmakers for Southern to contain everyone. I anticipate a long run or 2 by the B-Backs and JT. In space, JT isn't going to be contained. If they take care of the ball, I don't think Southern can stop them. I also don't think Southern will be successful moving the ball.

All this being said, we play the games for a reason. Anything can happen. If these guys go out and put the ball on the turf 4 or 5 times, who knows what will happen.