Possible time to change starting 5?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am in EU on vacation so didn't see the game but did watch against Lamar. What I didn't see in that game was a slasher that can score like Tadrick could. Jose is maybe the only guy that has that ability . I was not that impressed in our first game with the offense and must have been bad against UT. Looks like it could be a long season. Alston is our leading scorer and he comes off the bench? Do we have an interior scorer? Banks?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO in order of who should start.

Alvarado - it's obvious we need him on the court and playing well.
AD- Banks played well but on this team we need the mentality that AD brings on offense and his moves. As we develop this might change, but I think we need a post threat, and I'm not sure that Banks gives us that yet on the offensive end.
Moses - Mostly by default as I don't think it'd work well if Banks and AD played together, and Cole hasn't figured out what he needs to do on this team by the looks of it. This is part of the reason I think you have to start AD over Banks, because we aren't likely to get much offense out of the 4 spot.

After that it's hard to pick. Based on early play Alston would be a lock. My concern is still whether this will hold. I remember the first couple of games last year, and I'm not convinced either his shooting from game 1 or his ability to get to the FT line as in game 2 will hold over the course of the year. Even so, i think you have to go for it early and see if it will. Long term I don't think he will be starting but who knows. Otherwise I think you go Haywood. We really can't afford to have Phillips out there as well even though he brings a good bit non offensively and Devoe hasn't shown it yet.

So

Jose
Haywood
Alston
Wright
AD

I think eventually we would be well served if Devoe could show out and probably start over Alston, unless he really will keep it up over the season, and perhaps start Banks over AD.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Idk man
IMO in order of who should start.

Alvarado - it's obvious we need him on the court and playing well.
AD- Banks played well but on this team we need the mentality that AD brings on offense and his moves. As we develop this might change, but I think we need a post threat, and I'm not sure that Banks gives us that yet on the offensive end.
Moses - Mostly by default as I don't think it'd work well if Banks and AD played together, and Cole hasn't figured out what he needs to do on this team by the looks of it. This is part of the reason I think you have to start AD over Banks, because we aren't likely to get much offense out of the 4 spot.

After that it's hard to pick. Based on early play Alston would be a lock. My concern is still whether this will hold. I remember the first couple of games last year, and I'm not convinced either his shooting from game 1 or his ability to get to the FT line as in game 2 will hold over the course of the year. Even so, i think you have to go for it early and see if it will. Long term I don't think he will be starting but who knows. Otherwise I think you go Haywood. We really can't afford to have Phillips out there as well even though he brings a good bit non offensively and Devoe hasn't shown it yet.

So

Jose
Haywood
Alston
Wright
AD

I think eventually we would be well served if Devoe could show out and probably start over Alston, unless he really will keep it up over the season, and perhaps start Banks over AD.
I’m thinking banks over ad.... Banks is a monster on the glass

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think someone needs to put some duct tape over their panic button. We lost by 13 to a potential Final Four team. Relax.
No way that Tenn team is a final 4 team. Auburn and Kentucky are better in their own conference. Could we still win 17-19 games? Sure, but we played poorly on offense to say the least.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think someone needs to put some duct tape over their panic button. We lost by 13 to a potential Final Four team. Relax.
The score wasn’t that bad for sure, but in watching how we played in that game I’d be surprised if we won more than 14 games. Probably less...we need guys who can create points, and outside Jose we just don’t have them. Last year we had Jose, Lammers, Okogie, and Tadric....

Let’s wait and see how we evolve, but it could be a long year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Alston has turned out to be PLAYA! Now we need another scorer (not Jose) so .2 guys who can score consistently with a GOOD defense which gets pts off TOs will a go along way toward being a force..
If not it will be a long and ugly (see 30% FGs) yr.