Possible time to change starting 5?

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
I know it has only been 2 games, but is it time to change up the starting 5?
It seems like Alston is a hunger SR. He knows this is his last year and is playing with urgency.
I think he should replace Haywood at this time. I love Haywood's shooting, but he his not aggressive
enough on offense for a time that lacks scoring!!

How about a starting five of: Jose, Phillips, Alston, AD, Banks?
First 3 off the bench: Devoe, Moore and Wright!!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that Coach brings Alston off the bench in a role similar to Tadric last year. He gives him an opportunity to see the flow of the game in hopes that he gives us a lift once he enters the game.

You need your 6th man to be an energy guy that is capable of scoring. I'm a Haywood fan, but I'm not sure that he provides enough energy to be in that role just yet.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lineup lacks balance if Alston starts. You have no punch off the bench that way.

Exacerbates the issue(s) we have offensively.

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
I think that Coach brings Alston off the bench in a role similar to Tadric last year. He gives him an opportunity to see the flow of the game in hopes that he gives us a lift once he enters the game.

You need your 6th man to be an energy guy that is capable of scoring. I'm a Haywood fan, but I'm not sure that he provides enough energy to be in that role just yet.

Thanks for the feed back. I just don't think Tech can survive with starting 2G, SF, and PF scoring 4 points. Some type of change is needed.

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
Lineup lacks balance if Alston starts. You have no punch off the bench that way.

Exacerbates the issue(s) we have offensively.

I guess it is time for the Coaches to earn their salary. CGB is just too timid. He shoot looks great, but he is not aggressive.
I know Devoe had a bad night, maybe start him and let Jose focus on scoring at the being of the game?

It will be interesting to see what the starting 5 is moving forward.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I think scoring will get better. We are relying on freshman and sophomores who have never had to lead a college team in scoring and we played an experienced defensive minded team. I also tend to think Devoe is still getting into game shape and shaking the rust off and it was amplified by a pressing active team last night.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Seriously?! C'mon folks, it's only been two games. Too early for this question, methinks. Actually at this point and in our situation where there is not a ton of separation between most of the guys on the roster, who starts would not seem to make a ton of difference ----especially since Pastner has been making substitutions pretty early. In the first two games substitutions have been coming SIGNIFICANTLY before the first mandatory media time out at around 16:00. Our kids, especially Heywood and Cole seemed to be a bit timid against the Vols but I suspect they were nervous, first road game and all. I do agree that Alston needs to be 6th man. I really like his energy and urgency. His shot is improved from last year. Likely by fourth game or thereabouts, CJP will have enough 'data' to make adjustments to starting line-up such as it is. Go Jackets!

GT_EE78

Banned
I think there's some merit to starting our most upside talented 5 and force them to build chemistry. getting a core group ready for ACC action is what these warmup games are for.Jose/Devoe/Moore/Moses/Banks - Use Alston to backup 1,2,3 and AD for 4,5. (We foul too much so there would still be lots of minutes for others)

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Our biggest issue is we have no guys over 6'5 that can put the ball on the court, face up, and make a play. No dominate wing or forward. That usually is the base of a really good team.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Our biggest issue is we have no guys over 6'5 that can put the ball on the court, face up, and make a play. No dominate wing or forward. That usually is the base of a really good team.

People chuckled when Lebron lamented the lack of playmakers on his last CLE team. It's funny, the problem he cited is the issue we have. We have one playmaker which makes us really guardable. The lack of ball/man movement exacerbates it.

People talk about us imitating UVA, Notre Dame, etc. but those teams had an effective strategy before they acquired more talent. We ....

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
What I liked about our team in 2016 was the ability to cut to the basket and get easy buckets. This team could be similar to that team but we got zero easy buckets last night. We are younger, but overall probably more talented than that team. Hopefully we improve as the season goes on. We desperately need someone that can create their own shot and score 20 points on the wing, but unless Devoe becomes that guy we just don't have it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What I liked about our team in 2016 was the ability to cut to the basket and get easy buckets. This team could be similar to that team but we got zero easy buckets last night. We are younger, but overall probably more talented than that team. Hopefully we improve as the season goes on. We desperately need someone that can create their own shot and score 20 points on the wing, but unless Devoe becomes that guy we just don't have it.

I think UT was susceptible to fast cuts to the basket, but we didn't even run that offense.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I expect the starting lineup will change with the availability of Banks. How though will depend on matchups with whom we are playing (can we play 2 classic bigs against someone) and whatever we do to change the offensive scheme. We are going to have to find a way to generate motion/shots and fit the pieces we have to that. UT showed us what the ACC will look like so we better adjust.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think UT was susceptible to fast cuts to the basket, but we didn't even run that offense.

We tried, at times. Once it was clear the refs were gonna choose not to enforce the 'freedom of movement' foul stuff and our cutters were getting mugged, it bogged down to ... Gregorian (shout out @ESPNjacket ) levels.

GT_EE78

Banned
I think u got that right. Jose is forcing up bad shots outside his range likely because of that lack of a shot creator. CJP just needs to remind him that he ain't Trae Young. That problem isn't going away soon. Alston/Gueye are the ones trying to do it now (with too much help from Jose) I found the game encouraging despite bad shooting. Some cutting/passing in the halfcourt along with increasing PT for Devoe/Moore seems like the logical choice to get ready for the ACC.If Devoe doesnt get there this year ,we have problems. Seems like we're headed toward the acc's bottom 5, but if the youngsters improve during the OOC time ,having a shot to get into the middle5 isn't impossible.