Positives

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Love tqm.

Paul really knows how to develop qbs. He is a magician. Its why i always say just trust who paul starts

Ol is a gem. Steamrolling

Skill positions on O are just fine

Good punter. He will be fine

I liked some early d calls by roof.

Branch is playing well. Wheretf was adams? I think simmons and asa can do more.

I said it two weeks ago. Imo Our best ends are simmons and asa. But. We seem to reward kids for other reasons so ok.

D can be better. We will see what paul does end of year.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
TM and Benson - looked like they we're in end of season form from two first time starters
Oline- Huge push up the middle on dives blowing Tennessee 2-3 yards off the line of scrimmage every play
Abacks- Cottrell looked good, and we'll hopefully get Lynch back
Wide Receivers - Blocked well and only had on bad drop

Dline - Branch and Cerge-Henderson played hard there was a noticeable dropout when those two were out. Not sure why we didn't see Adams
Linebackers- Victor made some people regret catching the ball and Mitchell looked improved from last year
Secondary- Made a lot of huge hits and were inches away from a couple picks that would've iced the game

Punter - Harvin is the real deal 2 great punts and 1 shank that turned out decent in his first start kept field position in the 1st half.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll stay away from the obvious positives. How about the performance of the offense to get to the Tennessee 19 yard line with 1:29 left in the game. Not bad for an offense that can't perform in the 2:00 drill.

Agreed. We did it with relative ease. And TM made a couple of really nice decisions on the drive. Kept instead of pitching, and didn't force any passes into coverage. I think his composure was the most impressive thing about his game last night. Was it the last drive where he had QS wide open up the seam and overthrew while he was being hit? I'm sure the pressure disrupted his touch there, b/c with a little bit of air under it that was a TD.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
(1) Was VERY impressed with our O last night BUT this must be tempered by the fact that Tennessee is lousy defensively AND they were missing some of their key defensive players. I think we may have more trouble Saturday on offense against Jax State;
(2) I believe Tennessee will be beaten easily by UGa and Bama and LSU. Not sure who else they play but they did not honestly impress me as being very good. To me, this was about like losing to Kentucky. But only time will tell, we need to let these game splay out.
(3) my BIGGEST question is whether we ever subbed on defense? My impression was that we simply wore out defensively, mostly because we didn't *seem* to sub. BUT, I was at the game and without my binoculars, so maybe we subbed way more than I realized.
(4) How long is this King kid out for? With that kind of special teams play, we'll lose 5-6 games this year (forget the defense).

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I'll stay away from the obvious positives. How about the performance of the offense to get to the Tennessee 19 yard line with 1:29 left in the game. Not bad for an offense that can't perform in the 2:00 drill.

Good point! Also no one has mentioned the overthrown pass to a wide open Searcy with about 30 seconds left. We had a couple guys blocking on the right side which BOTH looked inside and let the UT defenders go untouched past them toward Marshall. If just one would have gotten in their way it would have bought him another 0.5 second to make a better throw and the game is over. We talk about the missed field goal because they stand out so clearly but there are many other mistakes that kept us from winning.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
(1) Was VERY impressed with our O last night BUT this must be tempered by the fact that Tennessee is lousy defensively AND they were missing some of their key defensive players. I think we may have more trouble Saturday on offense against Jax State;
(2) I believe Tennessee will be beaten easily by UGa and Bama and LSU. Not sure who else they play but they did not honestly impress me as being very good. To me, this was about like losing to Kentucky. But only time will tell, we need to let these game splay out.
(3) my BIGGEST question is whether we ever subbed on defense? My impression was that we simply wore out defensively, mostly because we didn't *seem* to sub. BUT, I was at the game and without my binoculars, so maybe we subbed way more than I realized.
(4) How long is this King kid out for? With that kind of special teams play, we'll lose 5-6 games this year (forget the defense).

Yes we did substitute on D. I didn't see all of them, but I know we went into depth some on both LB and DB. Regardless, they ran 21 plays against us in the first half, and I think 32 in the 2nd. That's the number of plays some teams face in a quarter. Our offense ran nearly twice as many plays. Which brings me to the second point that needs repeating. After the first couple drives, we kept our D on the bench for long stretches. There is absolutely no reason for our D to have worn out. Shoot, we were playing indoors, it's not like we were playing in the Miami humidity.

If we had given up 28 points spread across the whole game, then I wouldn't have been surprised, but we gave up touchdowns on 3 of the 5 possessions in the second half. That's awful.