Positives

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are quite a few positives to take away from last night. We had a bunch of ?'s heading into the season and most of them were confirmed in the positive direction.

The offense looked real good and that was game one. Remember, our offense typically starts slow. I think we just saw the tip of the iceberg of how good our offense can be this year. We didn't have any huge lightning strike plays last night, but the potential for them is plainly obvious.

We can death march but we can also strike quick with the speed we have at quarterback and the skill spots. We still haven't seen Clinton on the field yet.

The D showed flashes in the first half. The pass rush looked improved, then it disappeared for no reason. Hopefully they can put together a full game next time out.

Kicking game... we have a hell of a punter. :)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Punter looked great minus the shank.

Still hoping to hear about possible King injury. CPJ said postgame re: kicker "Try the other guy." So maybe King's injury kept him from starting this game but he'll be fine. ?

Loved TM's heart and will to win. Loved seeing him in the defensive huddle after he got banged up and JJ fumbled. He was clearly saying "I got this. Just get it back" or something like that. Loved seeing TM make some composed passing plays. Didn't seem uncomfortable throwing the ball. One drop by RJ, but he and BS both made a couple sure-handed catches.

Loved the TM/KB combo.

That said, we didn't run a single triple option play. Yes, there was some veer, but not one single mesh. This concerns me. If TM/KB can get that down, they will be lethal. If not, the road will get a lot tougher.

Loved that Russell kept us in last year's unis. Leave em alone and exit quietly... come on, adidas.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There are quite a few positives to take away from last night. We had a bunch of ?'s heading into the season and most of them were confirmed in the positive direction.

Exactly my thoughts.

We had a big '?' at QB. The answer is TaQuon! A big '?' at B-back- Kirvonte! The D showed flashes. The punter can boom. The OL are beasts.

We've got two manageable games to tune up and get some things fixed. This team should be able to beat every team on our schedule.

The loss doesn't affect our season goals in any meaningful way. We can win our division, we can win our conference, we can win our state. If we win the ACC, a bad-luck 2OT loss in a perceived hostile environment against a ranked SEC team won't hurt our resume much for bowl selections.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Exactly my thoughts.

We had a big '?' at QB. The answer is TaQuon! A big '?' at B-back- Kirvonte! The D showed flashes. The punter can boom. The OL are beasts.

We've got two manageable games to tune up and get some things fixed. This team should be able to beat every team on our schedule.

The loss doesn't affect our season goals in any meaningful way. We can win our division, we can win our conference, we can win our state. If we win the ACC, a bad-luck 2OT loss in a perceived hostile environment against a ranked SEC team won't hurt our resume much for bowl selections.

Go Jackets!
Let's pull for UT to have a good year to shine this turd of a loss. Heck, if we win out, it means we beat a lot of good teams and Clemson twice or FSU in the ACCCG.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Didn't look like we missed a beat at QB, or BB it actually might have been a step up. D looked about the same as last year, special teams were rough. The OL was on point though, I see why CPJ said it could be his best OL at GT. If we can get our D to be aggressive for 4 quarters and not get conservative and if king can come in and play well we could have a special year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Didn't look like we missed a beat at QB, or BB it actually might have been a step up. D looked about the same as last year, special teams were rough. The OL was on point though, I see why CPJ said it could be his best OL at GT. If we can get our D to be aggressive for 4 quarters and not get conservative and if king can come in and play well we could have a special year.
Agree about the OL and all of them will be back only one we lose is Devine ( and he played a great game)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Blocking was at the best level I can remember seeing in a season opener.
Yup, and the biggest thing for me was seeing the AB/BB getting out there hitting big blocks, which to me seems to be what separates our good offenses from our great offenses. If our backs can continue that relentlessness in getting after them, we're going to be hell for every defense on our schedule. I don't think we'll be overmatched against anyone, and we are going to roll quite a few teams.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Three comments:

1. Taquon played extremely well. I was surprised, frankly. He isn't as fast as JT - few are - but he's a better open field runner. (Btw, I can't believe I just wrote that.) He can't keep running the ball 49 times a ball game and survive the year, however. 30 is more like what we'll need.

2. The main thing for the future = Nate Cottrell. When he got the corner on his long run, I yelled at my son, "He's gone!" And he almost was. Seeing him turn on the jets in the replay was a revelation; he's every bit as fast as he was in high school. I think we'll see more of him as the year goes by.

3. Nobody has mentioned that we performed so well on O without our best player on the field. When Lynch gets healthy the O could be even better. Frightening, that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Three comments:

1. Taquon played extremely well. I was surprised, frankly. He isn't as fast as JT - few are - but he's a better open field runner. (Btw, I can't believe I just wrote that.) He can't keep running the ball 49 times a ball game and survive the year, however. 30 is more like what we'll need.

2. The main thing for the future = Nate Cottrell. When he got the corner on his long run, I yelled at my son, "He's gone!" And he almost was. Seeing him turn on the jets in the replay was a revelation; he's every bit as fast as he was in high school. I think we'll see more of him as the year goes by.

3. Nobody has mentioned that we performed so well on O without our best player on the field. When Lynch gets healthy the O could be even better. Frightening, that.
The D was forcing the keep. It's the nature of the offense. Sometimes you get that, sometimes it's the opposite. I doubt many teams will force TM to keep moving forward.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
TM was outstanding last night. JeT was Orange Bowl MVP as a sophomore, beat UGAg twice in three tries, and was the best passing QB we've had under CPJ.

If TM turns out somewhere close to JeT, we'll be great. Let's wait and see. His early pitches were a little scary. He threw some good balls and a couple of ducks.

What I loved more than the stats was his leadership and attitude. LOVED IT.