Positive Press?

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year we got a lot of positive press and then came out and laid an absolute dud against Duke. Then lost again the following week. That sobering experience will help these guys realize it's all just noise. None of that crap matters and they stop talking about you as fast as they start.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Gonna have to deal with the positive press and maintain focus if this program is going to be where everyone wants it to be.

If you need negative press before the big games in order to win those games, then you'll never be a top 10 program because your big wins are really just occasional upsets.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just another issue for the coaches and players to address. Like most things, it is what it is. Go play the game and have fun! Me personally? I love all the attention Tech is receiving, it's very well deserved!

I was reviewing a lot of old games the other night before bed and I happen to to think about a lot of close ball games that we lost. CPJ record is 60-35 at GT and it could easily be 70-25. I know we have won some close games as well but, What if didn't lose and won the 10 games. Now his record is 70-25 in 7 season plus 2 games this year. I know this is a bunch of "IF" but damn that is pretty elite from stand point.
(3VT, 2 UGA, 1 Miami, 1 Utah , 1 Air Force , 1 Duke , and 1 FSU) in all of those games , we were a play away from winning the game.

Point being is that we don't get any credit because of the unique old school style that it is. I don't like the attention neither but the attention helps with recruiting.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am still very, very afraid with local and national analysts jumping on board the GT train this early. It just does NOT feel right. We have ALWAYS played better when people doubted us. I wish there was MORE of that happening going into Saturday. People I work with think "GT will run them out of the stadium" on Saturday. I just don't want to hear that.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with many posters. Yes, all the sudden attention and praise feels unnatural, but I have faith in CPJ and the coaching staff to guide the team through the sea of distraction to maintain focus and get the job done on Saturday and thereafter.

To Hell with Rudy!

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me or is anyone else uncomfortable with all the positive press? At first I loved it, but now it feels like way to much.

The only good thing about all the positive talk is that, if we win, the polls should be very kind to us. All the national talk is pretty surprising to me....especially the love fest for Tech.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been nervous about this game all week. I usually get a sense of how the game will go about this time. That being said, I have no clue what will happen Saturday. I really believe that this game will set the official tone the rest of the season. A poster previously mentioned close games. We've usually lost close games because we didn't have that superstar difference maker making fantastic plays. We do now. That's the difference in this game I have to believe.

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
In the past I would agree. However, I feel like this team has their collective head on straight and also feel they have something to prove. Also, from what I've seen the picks for Tech to win just started in the last couple of days. Earlier this week I was surprised that ND was the favorite given their injuries and performance against UVA. I just don't see us overlooking them. It's games against middle of the road ACC opponents that scare me worse than this one.

bass ackwards

Georgia Tech Fan
Hopefully the turnout is different, but the feel so far reminds me of the LSU game. They didn't have a particularly good year and were known to be an undisciplined D so very few people expected them to win.

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully the turnout is different, but the feel so far reminds me of the LSU game. They didn't have a particularly good year and were known to be an undisciplined D so very few people expected them to win.
I think we grotesquely underestimated the quality and aggressiveness of LSU in the trenches. This Notre Dame team isn't anywhere close to that.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
We started to get some serious "love" at the end of last season, and with our two big wins starting out this season, after a preseason Ranking in the Top 25, I think the renewed positive interest is just what we need to move up in the polls if we continue winning. In fact, I believe if we beat Notre Dame this weekend, I suspect we show up in the Top 10 next week and if we keep winning, we'll start to get serious consideration for the Playoffs if/when we beat Clemson, then FSU, and then UGA. Win the ACCC and we'll be in for sure.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. Didn't like it when spread flipped. Don't like so many "pundits' putting the GT name out there. Beat ND and then you should have to deal with heightened expectations, but not before. Yes, the team looked good in the warm up games, but the schedule starts now.