Portal Watch 2022-23

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Konnor Near:
LB @ Ferris State University - 2x National Champion All-American - 1st Team All GLIAC - Currently in the Transfer Portal - Offers: GT, Duke, TexTech, MiamiOhio, AppySt, Cincy, BGSU, Toledo, Utah St., WashSt.
GRADUATE TRANSFER* 2 years of D1 eligibility 6’2 234 lbs LINEBACKER All-American 1st team All-GLIAC 2x National Champion

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Konnor Near:
LB @ Ferris State University - 2x National Champion All-American - 1st Team All GLIAC - Currently in the Transfer Portal - Offers: GT, Duke, TexTech, MiamiOhio, AppySt, Cincy, BGSU, Toledo, Utah St., WashSt.
GRADUATE TRANSFER* 2 years of D1 eligibility 6’2 234 lbs LINEBACKER All-American 1st team All-GLIAC 2x National Champion
Ferris State usually has a good solid program. Top level D2. This guy also played some RB in HS, good academics, too. Would be a nice addition, IMO.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Just trying to wrap my noggin around this, somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

From my understanding, kids that are in the portal are returning to their school after tomorrow if they don’t get/accept any offers from other schools?
From a brief google, it looks like hundreds and hundreds of dudes have yet to find their next destination.

Is there going to be mass committing tomorrow because they wanted to wait until the last second incase other offers come?Or, what I think to be more likely, a mass return to original school?

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Just trying to wrap my noggin around this, somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

From my understanding, kids that are in the portal are returning to their school after tomorrow if they don’t get/accept any offers from other schools?
From a brief google, it looks like hundreds and hundreds of dudes have yet to find their next destination.

Is there going to be mass committing tomorrow because they wanted to wait until the last second incase other offers come?Or, what I think to be more likely, a mass return to original school?
Team is not required to take them back if they withdraw from the portal so some people just get left in the cold if a new school doesn't want them

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow

The April 30 deadline is just for a player to enter the transfer portal. They can commit to a new school or return to their current school (if the school will take them back) whenever they want.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Key would know—the coaches have better intel on a player’s grades than the parents do.
Wouldn’t eligibility be based on the grades you’ve earned to date? With everything else out the window, surely we can find a way to keep kids eligible. If he is ineligible here and other P5 programs will pay him and somehow make him eligible, what are we doing? The transcript won’t change unless he gets a handful of easy summer credits somewhere, right?

slugboy

Staff member
Wouldn’t eligibility be based on the grades you’ve earned to date? With everything else out the window, surely we can find a way to keep kids eligible. If he is ineligible here and other P5 programs will pay him and somehow make him eligible, what are we doing? The transcript won’t change unless he gets a handful of easy summer credits somewhere, right?
I didn’t offer the theory that it’s grades. However, players both have to make grades and progress towards a degree—if you load up on fluff classes in the summer, your grades improve but you make no progress

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn’t offer the theory that it’s grades. However, players both have to make grades and progress towards a degree—if you load up on fluff classes in the summer, your grades improve but you make no progress
Y’all think the coaching staff would make someone the captain of the spring game who is about to be ineligible due to grades? This man shopping around.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Y’all think the coaching staff would make someone the captain of the spring game who is about to be ineligible due to grades? This man shopping around.
Good point. My guess is Brent made him a spring game captain in an effort to encourage him to stick around. Man, this NIL/transfer situation is brutal for Tech. Coach has a hard row to hoe.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Both starters for Michigan State. GT can use a big WR. I wonder if Marco Coleman had any dialogue with Keon Coleman from his time at MSU:

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t. I simply think that if a player didn’t like their coach, they’d go into the portal early to maximize their options. Stone went in late