Portal Watch 2022-23

slugboy

Staff member
It looks like Maye and Mooney are two OL that don't show up on the current roster.

“Offensive linemen Mike Maye and Bobby Mooney, defensive lineman Christian Burkhalter and defensive back Jaylin Marshall were not on the team's online roster after a recent update. All four had eligibility remaining, but saw little to no playing time last season.”

Four Georgia Tech players no longer on roster

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-longer-on-roster/X5A545HDRVBXVAYHYF2WILWNUE/

(Via AJC News)

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
“Offensive linemen Mike Maye and Bobby Mooney, defensive lineman Christian Burkhalter and defensive back Jaylin Marshall were not on the team's online roster after a recent update. All four had eligibility remaining, but saw little to no playing time last season.”

Four Georgia Tech players no longer on roster

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-longer-on-roster/X5A545HDRVBXVAYHYF2WILWNUE/

(Via AJC News)
Mooney is surprising as he is a legacy and seemed determined to play for Tech no matter what.

Anyone have any (non paywalled) insights?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Mooney is surprising as he is a legacy and seemed determined to play for Tech no matter what.

Anyone have any (non paywalled) insights?
He is finishing up his degree. Not sure what happened athletically, other than not getting off the Scout Team?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Maye has played a lot on the extra point and field goal teams over seaveral seasons, but not much else. Solid backup. Mooney saw very little PT in the Spring Game so maybe he was sent a message.
Is this a numbers situation? Too many on scholarship? Hate to see Mooney leave. His dad was a really good player and had hoped his kid would be too.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Maye is finishing his degree. Mooney is a legacy and a 2022 recruit
Thanks. I got some misinformation from a Hiver, who claimed Mooney would be kept through graduation. Unless he’s on a medical, I was thinking like you in that he was even late enrolling last year?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This will become more and more the norm. Guys that do not show progress on the field will be told to move on. With the portal, NIL and recruiting, roster refinement will be an ongoing process that occurs rapidly and it will make it possible to change your fate, for good or bad, a continual moving target. It is best not to fall in love with anyone in this environment.

Go Jackets!

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks. I got some misinformation from a Hiver, who claimed Mooney would be kept through graduation. Unless he’s on a medical, I was thinking like you in that he was even late enrolling last year?
He was a late enrollee.

I don’t have any insight into the rest, other than being aware that you can keep a player on scholarship while not counting against the limits if they aren’t allowed to play (basically, the same as a medical).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This will become more and more the norm. Guys that do not show progress on the field will be told to move on. With the portal, NIL and recruiting, roster refinement will be an ongoing process that occurs rapidly and it will make it possible to change your fate, for good or bad, a continual moving target. It is best not to fall in love with anyone in this environment.

Go Jackets!
Unfortunately these days that cuts both ways.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not a commitment tweet, but just happens to be there/have been there recently.

Not saying there was tampering...but given past events, kinda makes you wish the NCAA wasn't too scared to enforce their own rules, doesn't it?

Why is anyone surprised anymore? The NCAA has been gutted (thankfully) so there are no rules which is fine by me. My question is and always has been why does a supposed smart school not use the tools within the system to get better? I have no problem with Ole Miss doing things to make Ole Miss better. That’s what everyone should be doing instead of hoping the tooth fairy will show up to enforce unenforceable rules.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not a commitment tweet, but just happens to be there/have been there recently.

Not saying there was tampering...but given past events, kinda makes you wish the NCAA wasn't too scared to enforce their own rules, doesn't it?

Makes me wish the Jackets we have left can whip their arse on September 16.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Domineck Blaylock transferring in from UGa
Domineck Blaylock is a Georgia wide receiver ranked as the No. 5 player left in the transfer portal. He has overcome multiple injuries throughout his college career and offers a veteran presence to any wide receiver room.2 Additionally, Blaylock attended Army All-American Bowl national combine and played club 7vs7 football for Hustle Inc. 7v7 in 2018, as well as receiving the Vernon and Patricia Brinson Family Football Scholarship.1 He is the son of former NBA point guard Mookie Blaylock.