Portal Watch 2022-23

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Better to use thermoelectric conversion of the essentially unlimited heat of the earth's core.

But I digress. NIL money is more important than saving humanity.
I think if we can actually get to room-temperature superconductors most of our energy needs will go away. We currently lose about 2/3 of the energy we generate in the US to waste. It's worse in other countries.

Think about how many NIL deals that would fund!!! How many basketball coaches that would buy!!!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Has Dom Blaylock made a final decision? Are there any other targets we may be trying to reel in before spring ball gets going?
Nothing new on Blaylock, per his mom, Janelle.

GT has had a few 2023 visitors in January. Chad Alexander twice, but no offer TMK. No portal guys that I know of. The cutoff to file was Jan. 18. Portal opens again for two weeks in May, 2023.

Call your attention to the PWOn thread over in ‘23 Football Recruiting. Tech has been extremely active this month in that category. Ryan Manis is in the Trf. Portal looking for Miami or GT or ? to offer him a preferred spot on their roster(s).

The three Junior Weekends have been the major focus of our staff. Thread in ‘24 F.R.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if I saw it posted here or elsewhere but he is apparently down to GT and TAMU.

For the chatter it sounds like it will come down to NIL deal.
His stats for the past 3 years are pretty meh, he got 5 Td’s his first season and then fell off, maybe an injury? 6’1” 205 does not have burner speed. Fyi, Mookie Blaylock is his dad, I loved that dude when he hooped for the hawks

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
His stats for the past 3 years are pretty meh, he got 5 Td’s his first season and then fell off, maybe an injury? 6’1” 205 does not have burner speed. Fyi, Mookie Blaylock is his dad, I loved that dude when he hooped for the hawks

Yea, I'd be fine with him coming, but feel we've already done a good job there with Lane, Janneh, etc.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If someone's just NIL fishing, I don't want them on my team. I want players that want to play for Tech and win for Tech. NIL is important in drawing players, yes, but if that's the difference in coming to Tech or going elsewhere, good riddance.
If it's strictly the money they can move on as far as I'm concerned. I may find I have to adjust my thinking some where down the line, but I don't think so.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If it's strictly the money they can move on as far as I'm concerned. I may find I have to adjust my thinking some where down the line, but I don't think so.
It will be interesting....not necessarily encouraging, but interesting...to see where this all ends up.Just think where ancient Rome wound up when they went down this rabbit hole....a coliseum packed so people would watch others slaughter each other.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I have no interest in contributing to this mishegoss. If others do, then more power to them. For now, I will continue to give to the scholarship fund, the Tech fund, the Edge center, the Grand Slam club, and other Tech initiatives, as well as buy my season tickets in four sports. I will not, however, put one dime into an outside organization for NIL.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As far as Tech is concerned, that is the only philosophy that makes sense for us (and frankly most schools). We don’t have the funds to field a professional team of mercenaries. We need to be targeting the most talented players who want what we can realistically offer them. Most of the players we lost to NIL chasing arrived at Tech before NIL exploded, so hopefully most of the players we get from here on out will be guys who have other priorities.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As far as Tech is concerned, that is the only philosophy that makes sense for us (and frankly most schools). We don’t have the funds to field a professional team of mercenaries. We need to be targeting the most talented players who want what we can realistically offer them. Most of the players we lost to NIL chasing arrived at Tech before NIL exploded, so hopefully most of the players we get from here on out will be guys who have other priorities.
The issue will be guys who aren't highly touted out of HS, whom we are lucky or skilled enough to develop into top notch talent, who may then be wooed by NIL deals in their latter years.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
The issue will be guys who aren't highly touted out of HS, whom we are lucky or skilled enough to develop into top notch talent, who may then be wooed by NIL deals in their latter years.
I think that's the biggest issue and it's the one that encourages the most tampering. I am all for athletes cashing in on their Name, Image and Likeness. I am also for athletes having the freedom to move from one school to the next. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to make an athlete sit out a year upon an undergraduate transfer. They can go anywhere they want; they just can't play immediately. Personally, i would also suggest you lose a year of eligibility but that probably wouldn't fly.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Have we lost players to NIL lately though, or just because we are losing? Does Gibbs leave for Alabama if we win 8 games instead of 3 and go to a good bowl game? Say we have a shot of improving the following year and making the ACC Championship, giving him a better chance to win and show what he can do for NFL scouts on a national stage. Did he leave because of NIL, or because he wanted to win? Did Ivey chase NIL, or just a better opportunity to win? I'm asking because I don't know who has left because of better NIL deals versus the opportunity to win more elsewhere. Winning cures most ills (not all, as the saying usually goes...)

slugboy

Staff member
Have we lost players to NIL lately though, or just because we are losing? Does Gibbs leave for Alabama if we win 8 games instead of 3 and go to a good bowl game? Say we have a shot of improving the following year and making the ACC Championship, giving him a better chance to win and show what he can do for NFL scouts on a national stage. Did he leave because of NIL, or because he wanted to win? Did Ivey chase NIL, or just a better opportunity to win? I'm asking because I don't know who has left because of better NIL deals versus the opportunity to win more elsewhere. Winning cures most ills (not all, as the saying usually goes...)
Ole Miss does seem to be “tampering”, for what it’s worth

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs NIL increase going to alabama was almost 500k That and win now plus choice leaving likely played into it alot.