Portal Watch 2022-23

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

From the article:
The 6-foot-4, 315-pound tackle has all of the size you could ask for on the offensive front. With that size, he moves well and is shown to use his hands effectively in pass-blocking situations.

Brown was a redshirt freshman for Charlotte in 2022 after redshirting his first year on campus in 2021. He has three years of eligibility left.

This past season, Brown played 62 offensive snaps over the course of the season including 24 snaps against Maryland in week two for Charlotte. All of his snaps on offense were at the left tackle spot.

He also played 20 snaps on special teams, all on the field goal and PAT units.

According to PFF, Brown had an overall offensive grade of 60.6. His pass-blocking grade was 62.2. His run-blocking grade was 64.5.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

From the article:
The 6-foot-4, 315-pound tackle has all of the size you could ask for on the offensive front. With that size, he moves well and is shown to use his hands effectively in pass-blocking situations.

Brown was a redshirt freshman for Charlotte in 2022 after redshirting his first year on campus in 2021. He has three years of eligibility left.

This past season, Brown played 62 offensive snaps over the course of the season including 24 snaps against Maryland in week two for Charlotte. All of his snaps on offense were at the left tackle spot.

He also played 20 snaps on special teams, all on the field goal and PAT units.

According to PFF, Brown had an overall offensive grade of 60.6. His pass-blocking grade was 62.2. His run-blocking grade was 64.5.
Does anyone have the PFF grades for each of ur OL?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
3 years of eligibility left?

200.gif

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
So, I signed up to access the PFF grades. If you want to get depressed, look at the grades and rankings of our OL from last year.

Jordan Brown was slightly below average for a Tackle last year, which puts him above any of our returning OL who were all well below average.

PlayerPositionPFF GradePosition Rank
William LayCenter56.1219
Wes FranklinCenter54.7235
Joe FusileGuard58.1411
Pierce QuickGuard57.7425
Paula VaipulaGuard48.0605
Paul TchioGuard41.8630
Jordan WilliamsTackle54.0467
Jakiah LeftwichTackle52.6493
Corey RobinsonTackle49.2542
Tyler GibsonTackle38.6598

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
So, I signed up to access the PFF grades. If you want to get depressed, look at the grades and rankings of our OL from last year.

Jordan Brown was slightly below average for a Tackle last year, which puts him above any of our returning OL who were all well below average.

PlayerPositionPFF GradePosition Rank
William LayCenter56.1219
Wes FranklinCenter54.7235
Joe FusileGuard58.1411
Pierce QuickGuard57.7425
Paula VaipulaGuard48.0605
Paul TchioGuard41.8630
Jordan WilliamsTackle54.0467
Jakiah LeftwichTackle52.6493
Corey RobinsonTackle49.2542
Tyler GibsonTackle38.6598
Thanks for posting this. I’m guessing this isn’t accessed easily, did these numbers improve in back half of the season? It felt like we did get better toward the end of the year.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting this. I’m guessing this isn’t accessed easily, did these numbers improve in back half of the season? It felt like we did get better toward the end of the year.
Actually, I can see their scores week to week. Below is a snapshot of Jordan Williams scores...

Rather than post every player's weekly graph, I will share my observations.

The entire line played really bad against Duke (week 6) and really well against VPISU (week 10); not just Jordan. Both games were after the TFG left, so both were on HCBK.

Outside of Jordan, no one else had a second half of the season where they were consistently above 60 FF grade. Everyone else had some games above and some games below.

In my non expert opinion, our OL play improved slightly in the second half, but that is mostly because we had our three worst games as an OL against Clemson, Ol Miss, and Duke. Our OL play was still average to below average outside of the VPISU games. Remember, anything below 70 is below average PFF grade.

1673035559609.png

Last edited:

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
He didn't play much for a Group of Five team. He clearly has the size but so do most of our current OL. Clearly he should provide depth but I am not sure how to project him as a future starter.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He didn't play much for a Group of Five team. He clearly has the size but so do most of our current OL. Clearly he should provide depth but I am not sure how to project him as a future starter.
I think you actually used the right word but the wrong part of speech. I would say he is a project. And I mean that in a good way. He's got size and athleticism and has only been playing OL for a couple of years, I think. And with three years of eligibility I gather the coaches would be hoping they can continue his education and growth on the OL so it's worth the scholarship.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It seemed to me that the pass blocking was significantly improved in the back half of the season while the run blocking was about the same, but that's just from my untrained eyeball test.

At any rate, three P-5 teams wanted Brown, including Auburn, so it's a good bet he can help us out. One factor to keep in mind is that he has three years of eligibility to improve, so his blocking scores should be placed in that context.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
As far as I’m concerned we have zero OLine starters because they have not been a productive group. Key is bringing in bodies and let the top 5 emerge. At this point no one on the entire team should have a starting job. Let them all compete and the best ones at each position get the snaps until the position coach thinks they aren’t getting it done. I’ve posted many times that it’s all a numbers game and we should bring in way more Linemen and a lot less DB’s and WR’s.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
As far as I’m concerned we have zero OLine starters because they have not been a productive group. Key is bringing in bodies and let the top 5 emerge. At this point no one on the entire team should have a starting job. Let them all compete and the best ones at each position get the snaps until the position coach thinks they aren’t getting it done. I’ve posted many times that it’s all a numbers game and we should bring in way more Linemen and a lot less DB’s and WR’s.
Williams to RG was a big improvement for the line as a whole. The RG position had been terrible. Leftwich was decent at RT, far better with Williams’s at RH and Leftwich at Rt than Williams at RT and any of the others who played RG.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Williams to RG was a big improvement for the line as a whole. The RG position had been terrible. Leftwich was decent at RT, far better with Williams’s at RH and Leftwich at Rt than Williams at RT and any of the others who played RG.

Agree. I wrote this during the season before they moved him to OG:

IMO, Jordan's frame says "offensive tackle", but his skillset is probably better suited to the interior. His lateral movement and ability to keep edge rushers from using the the wider space is concerning for a tackle.

We don't have many options at OT, so we can't really afford to move him anywhere outside of Right/Left tackle.

Looks like Key is putting guys where their skillset works the best for the overall unit. A little bit of baptism by fire for some of the young guys at Tackle last year, but it's a good experience for developing the OL next year.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
He's coming

Big frame as an outside WR. Was Duquesne’s 2nd leading receiver behind their slot guy. I think Rutherford will be a solid replacement for Nate’s production, and this guy will be replacing Malachi Carter basically. I think we’ll see a lot of 4 WR sets this year so having productive wideouts will be important. I think he’ll be solid. I hope we end up using Leo Blackburn kind of how UGA uses Bowers. A matchup nightmare who can catch and run with the ball.

If all goes according to plan I can definitely see our top 3 WRs being some combination of Rutherford, Blackburn, and Janneh. Blackstrain, DJ Moore, and Ryan King will provide solid options as well.

Ranran86

Georgia Tech Fan
Big frame as an outside WR. Was Duquesne’s 2nd leading receiver behind their slot guy. I think Rutherford will be a solid replacement for Nate’s production, and this guy will be replacing Malachi Carter basically. I think we’ll see a lot of 4 WR sets this year so having productive wideouts will be important. I think he’ll be solid. I hope we end up using Leo Blackburn kind of how UGA uses Bowers. A matchup nightmare who can catch and run with the ball.

If all goes according to plan I can definitely see our top 3 WRs being some combination of Rutherford, Blackburn, and Janneh. Blackstrain, DJ Moore, and Ryan King will provide solid options as well.
King is in the portal